“Great Food Second Time Around”

Woolley's Seafood House
Ranked #3 of 81 Restaurants in Howell
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Choose from a selection of the freshest seafood, burgers, sandwiches, salads and more.
Reviewed 18 July 2017

My wife and I stopped by Wolley's Seafood Restaurant for dinner at 6:30pm on a Saturday to find its parking lot and the surrounding streets filled with parked cars. The place was filled with people buying fish from the market as well as others going to the restaurant. We drove around on and off the parking lot for quite some time until eventually we found an opening. Despite the parking crunch, the wait for a table was not that long. There was only one couple in front of us waiting to be seated and within 10 mins we were given a table.

This was our second time eating at Wolley's, but this was our first time eating indoors. The first time was on the patio which was very pleasant. The interior of Wolley's is fuctional - not fancy - but adequate to get the job done. As each new table opened up a waitress would rip off a large sheet of butcher paper and lay it out on the table as a table cloth. Inside the cooking station and the cooks are in plain view. So you have to endure all the chatter from the kitchen as well as the surrounding tables. On the walls is a large mural of boat on a rough sea with a lobster as well as other nautical themed objects and pictures.

The food here is good and the service - while not fast - is friendly. Shortly after seating we were given warm rolls and butter for the table. We placed our orders. At the recommendation of our waitress, I ordered the Wolley's Salmon which is salmon with goat cheese, artichoke and spinach next to a bed of rice and mixed vegetables. My wife ordered the fried trio – fried crab cakes, shrimp and flounder with cole slaw. Both our meals came with a small salad of fresh vegetables and a very light, but tasty, honey mustard dressing on the side. We both had ice tea to drink. Wooley's has now added wines from the Laurita winery in New Egypt to its menu in both the restaurant and the fish market if you like something stronger.

My salmon was soft, tasted fresh and was cooked just right; and was much larger than I thought it would be for the price. For $20, I could get two meals out of this, so took half of it home. As for my wife's fried trio the fried shrimp and flounder was delicious, but she did not like the fried crab cake because it was salty. I sampled her crab cake and the part I tasted was fine. The lumps of crab meat tasted fresh but there was breading and O' Bay seafood seasoning. The part she ate may have been over-seasoned.

Wolley's restaurant closes at 8pm. As time went on, by 7pm there were plenty of open tables in the restaurant and no line waiting at the door. The market next door closes at 7 pm. So on a Saturday night the parking crunch and wait for a table is probably over close to that time.

We had a great meal at Wooley's and while the inside restaurant was good, I would prefer the quiet and open air of their patio

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I am not sure what some of the other reviewers were expecting here. It is not haute cuisine. Wooley's is a seafood comfort food restaurant that serves fresh seafood in a very unpretentious setting. The fish is fresh and mostly well-prepared. The scallops I had were a mite overcooked but that is a very hard dish to prepare properly. I nevertheless enjoyed them. Otherwise, for the price, you get a tremendous amount of seafood where one plate can even feed two. They do serve wine by the bottle but not by the glass and have no beer or other liquor.

We have been buying fish at their market for ages now and welcome the restaurant as a great place to stop in occasionally.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

Been there 2 times in a 2 week period! Excellent fresh seafood! My husband had the Pepper encrusted tuna and I had fried scallops! Both times!!! You can't get fresher fish! Both dishes were on point!!! Give it a try! The seafood market next door has great prices and very fresh seafood!!

Reviewed 25 May 2017

After going to a seafood retailer/restaurant in Belmar for many years, we thought that we would try the same type business after moving to Freehold. The seafood in this type of place should be fresh and cooked with a knowledge of how to cook fish.
Fried Trio Platter was only saved by the crab cake. Flounder and shrimp were dry and fried to a dark brown color. Breading on shrimp and flounder was flavored in a bad way; should not have been Italian/garlicky. Blackened swordfish special came covered in a mango-pineapple salsa which was not mentioned by the server. It was overcooked and mushy. Would have complained to our waiter, but he was busy and never returned to our table.
Wait staff is inexperienced and seemed to not be properly trained.
Prices are way too high for the quantities and the shabby atmosphere of the place.

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Stopped for an early dinner. Our first time here. Fried flounder was tasteless. A little pricey considering the environment and the taste of the food.