“Pork chop special is phenomenal!!”

Valentinos Restaurant Freehold
Ranked #46 of 176 Restaurants in Freehold
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2017

No walk in on Saturday nights, make reservations, they will take a reservation for 2. very consistent with both food and service.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

The food was ok. The waiter was very arrogant and left the evening on a bad note. I would not go here again.

1  Thank Bizzy0824
Reviewed 10 April 2017

My girlfriend and I ate at Valentinos for dinner April 8th. Located in a small strip mall, this is one of those obscure places that you think may have massive potential. First of all, this place is strip mall small...very small and with that can be a bit noisy. The true highlight was the entire wait staff who are all very warm, welcoming and very good at what they do. This is a BYOB so keep that in mind. I had the crab meat stuffed tilapia, and my girlfriend had their signature stuffed pork chop which the waiter "promised" was the best thing you'll ever eat or we could send it back to the kitchen and he'll eat it himself. My dinner was good, not great and the portion size could have been bigger (adding a vegetable would have helped) and yet my gf's dish looked like it could have fed an entire family. She loved the pork chop and frankly, so did I. The house salad was definitely a plus and thus they shouldn’t change a thing, nice job.

I’ll tell you what bothered us the most by far; we ordered the lobster ravioli appetizer. It arrived with a lonely two ravioli with two side shrimp. Again, it was good, not great. Now a serving this small is not unheard of, but what is unheard of is charging $22 for it. I had to ask the waiter for clarification (it was a special we didn’t see on the menu). This price quite frankly is insulting. All the dishes frankly are overpriced.

On a positive note, they specialize in a particular dessert; banana’s flambe. This can include strawberries and is a must if you decide to dine here.

Overall, my girlfriend loved the place but it was too hit and miss for me.

1  Thank frankkmauro
Reviewed 3 April 2017

I visited this restaurant quite a long time ago and wanted to give it another try since my last experience was very good. However, this time, I would say that this restaurant has declined. It was a Sat. night and there were only 3 tables so that should have been my first clue. I ordered a tuna appetizer which was nicely presented, but it appeared like "bumble bee" tuna. I was expecting chunks of tuna in a martini glass, but instead got pureed tuna with way too many large capers which overpowered the flavor of the tuna. My guest and I requested to share a salad and it came on 1 plate with no extra plate so we had to ask for one. It should have been separated before being served to us. The servers had on jeans and black "chef-style" shirts while my date and I were dressed up. I found this to be unacceptable with the atmosphere and prices on the menu. I ordered the filet mignon and it was cooked perfectly medium rare, but it was smothered in sauce which ruined the filet flavor. The waiter didn't even come over to pour our wine once and then we had to look for him so that we could get our check even though it was not busy. Our dinners were so sub-standard that we didn't even finish our wine or have coffee or dessert. I was especially unhappy with the fact that it was as bright as a diner and they never dimmed the lights. I am unimpressed with this restaurant and will not go back until they get a better chef and improve their presentation and wait staff appearance. When I pay over $30 for an entrée, I expect it to be served with flair, well balanced on the plate and have a great taste. Unfortunately, our experience was below our expectations.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

My mom had eaten at Valentino's a number of times before and strongly suggested we try it while I was in town for a visit. We arrived before 6, so the place was empty, but the staff was very warm and friendly. Valentino's is a BYOB so we brought a bottle of red wine with us, which was opened promptly. Warm fresh bread and a dish with bowls of spiced dipping oil and an eggplant-tomato bruschetta was served right away, all delicious. The specials were plentiful - soup, 2 appetizers, a salad, and several entrees. At small restaurants the specials will always be the freshest, so while the menu looked inviting, we went with all specials. The lobster bisque was a large bowl with a lot of meat; the shrimp appetizer had 3 colossal shrimp paired with portobellos wrapped in fettuccine plated over an Alfredo sauce. We enjoyed both immensely. Our dinners came not long after, Blackened Tuna with shrimp over black beans and red peppers and Grouper in a marechiaro sauce with shrimp and clams. Both were phenomenal - the tuna was not too spicy and the black beans, mixed with some red peppers and sauteed onions, were a great complement to the very large piece of fish instead of a heavier starch. The grouper was a very large piece, paired with a nice fresh tomato-seafood sauce with some large shrimp added and 3 clams on the side.

We finished with a homemade flourless chocolate cake with vanilla that we were talked into, and of course it was so good we had to finish it. Overall everything was great - the dinner specials didn't come with salads, but to be honest we didn't miss them nor need them as the entrees were huge. We will definitely come again when I return in a month.

1  Thank Steve B