“Totally enjoyable! ”
Review of La Cipollina

La Cipollina
Reserve with OpenTable
La Cipollina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 176 Restaurants in Freehold
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: South St.
Transit: New Jersey Transit buses service the "Freehold Center" terminal which is located a block away from La Cipollina Ristorante.
Description: Zagat review: Now at the quarter-century mark, this dependable (if hard-to-find) Freehold Italian BYO maintains its old-world ways with a classic menu of quality items served by an excellent tuxedoed team. The elegant decor lends it special-occasion status and bargain prix fixe specials keep costs under control.
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

Had wanted to try for a while so when sister's came up to visit off we went..1st off; use parking lot off south st.
They do have a coat check. Remember byob..I didn't, but there's a wine shop within walking distance. . (Yey)
Ambiance upscale/warm.. tables not too close.
Went on a wed nite not too busy. One of the Captain's ..Michael , took extremely fine , 5* quality care of us.
Food.. starters -octopus-very good ...there motzerella IS wonderfully different! Bisque- delish.. 2 osso bucco-excellent..1 lobster ravioli - very good...1- organic chicken 1/2 in a very nice creamy cognac sauce..very good.. desserts looked awesome ..ordered 2 to share w 3 cappuccinos all excellent.
This is a somewhat pricy establishment but there are enough different price points and variety so that theres something for everyone. .dress casual neat/business.
Also check out groupon ..we had a $50 for $25 not sure if that offer still on..
Dinner for 4 aprox $200. wo tip
Would return. : - ))

802matth, Owner at La Cipollina, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2016

Our work here is extremely rewarding, and kind words from people like you are always appreciated. I will forward your comments to the dining room and kitchen.

Your effort and time for the review was so much appreciated. See you soon for supper, and thanks again.

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

Dined here with two other couples. First I must mention that one couple in our party had a last minute "issue" which made us about 20 mins late for our reservation. We called the restaurant a few minutes prior to our reservation time and they assured us that our tardiness was not a problem as they were not fully booked (whew!).
Once we arrived, we were greeted by a charming hostess who seated us immediately. The wait staff was quick to open our wine (byob) and fetch mixers for the cocktail drinkers. We all shared several appetizers...the seafood sampler which was packed with delicious, shrimp, crabmeat, clams, oysters and caviar; beef tartar, mussels and salad. We all enjoyed our entrees which included 2 filet mignon specials, osso bucco and salmon. The portions were great and everything was cooked perfectly. Nice atmosphere, attentive but never overbearing staff. The meal was pricey...over $200 per couple. We all enjoyed it very much!

Reviewed 31 October 2016

Went there for my birthday dinner, and, I can only regret not going there sooner. Be prepared for some of the finest, tastiest food this side of Manhattan. If you've never been, place it on your "bucket list". If your intentions are to impress a companion or a co-worker, maybe, just a nice treat for you and yours, bring a "Nice" bottle of wine, not just something you gave no actual thought to, the food will warrant a "Good" wine. Very romantic setting with excellent service and lots of parking. Close your eyes and just pick anything on the menu, it's all good!

802matth, Owner at La Cipollina, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2016

Dear Ray,

Regards,
Chef Matt Higgins

Reviewed 28 October 2016

I never heard of this small, tucked away restaurant in Freehold until recently. We went the other evening and I was so impressed with the quality of the food (so good I cannot begin to explain), the service and the friendliness of the staff. I overhead who I think might have been the Head of the Wait Staff patiently explaining the menu, specials and pricing to a pair of older diners at a nearby table. He was most courteous and helpful without being short or condescending to them. I was very impressed.
This is a mostly upscale although comfortable restaurant, and so on the pricier side. But you can make make more modestly priced options within their excellent menu.
Portions were generous enough, and everything from the appetizer thru a shared dessert was outstanding. I want to go again.

2  Thank kt2t

Regards,

Chef Matt Higgins

Reviewed 23 October 2016

We visited this woderful place for the first time this weekend for our anniversary. A friend suggested it for our special occasion. Reservations were made on line, on their website, they responded in about 15 minutes, very quickly and confirmed the reservation a few minutes later, very well done and a good sign of things to come.
We arrived on time and were seated immediately in a nice out of the way table which was a very nice touch from them because we didn't know the best seating choices.
Our waiter introduced himself, Chris, super nice guy, after listening to the specials etc...we asked if he was interested in selecting the food for our dinner? We try to do this as often as possible and it really does show how good...or not a restaurant and their staff is. He was not only game for it, he seemed to light up which is of course what we were hoping for. He correctly asked if we had any food allergies or anything we didn't like, fortunately for us, we are quite liberal eaters and told him to bring it on!
And he sure did! We had two appetizers, a pasta course, a salad course, two main courses and two desserts! Yes a LOT of food, and the portions for each were full portions I'd say.
Each dish was prepared fantastically, first class ingredients, cooked to perfection. In particular, the pasta, a penna pasta dish named Micheal Angello which is not on the menu was over the top good, truly one of the best we've been served, all over the world I'd add!
The fish dish was a special and new for the evening as the head maitre'd Paul told us was again, truly fabulous, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember the name of the fish, sorry but if you go there fairly soon, he'll certainly know what it was called, again, my apologies. Cooked to perfection, light silky sauce, tomato based I believe, like all the sauces on dishes that night, gorgeous!
Every course was served at the perfect time, perfect temperature, truly fantastic!
A side note, early in our evening, we saw a young man come into the room with a guitar case and we thought...oh no....an obnoxious guitar player to interrupt our special dinner...WRONG....great guitar player, very pleasant young man, played at a low volume, wonderful background music that we throuroughly enjoyed!
OK enough, sounds like I making a commercial for these guys! LOL, the entire wait staff, from those filing our water glass to our Captain....Chris, this dinner was truly one of the most memorable in years!
Cost...well not cheap nor over the top expensive either, worth every penny when you consider the quantity and quality of the food, loved it and can't wait to go back again, thanks to everyone there, super well done.