“Unlike your local restaurant chain.”
Review of Old Bukhara

Old Bukhara
Ranked #98 of 192 Restaurants in Freehold
Price range: US$3 - US$30
Description: Authentic Uzbek cuisine in the heart of Central Jersey. We offer variety of kebabs and signature Uzbek dishes.
Reviewed 2 September 2018

Never having had Uzbek cuisine before, we tried Old Bukhara for something different, and it was a happy choice. Service was not overwhelming but acceptable. We ordered a couple of appetizers, Chuckvara (fried dumplings - boiled may have been better) and a pumpkin filled pastry (Samsa), which was very good. We tried the "national dish", Palov, a pilaf with vegetables and small chunks of meat. It would have served as the main dish, or a side for four people. It was very good. With this we had kebobs of lamb and Kufta, seasoned ground lamb and beef, both excellent. Old Bukhara is a BYO which allowed us to have wine with our meal. The restaurant was not busy so I hope it stays in business because we want to return.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Wild Annie here. and I have just had a lovely meal again at Old Bukhara.This time I tried a speciality of the house...the Palov. A wonderfully tasty dish of savory beef,rice with carrots, raisins and spices. The palov which literally means pilaf in English. Because there was so much food I recommend that it be shared by two.The service was excellent even though crowded. I alsi noticed alot of native speakers enjoying the cuisine. Always a plus in my book!All desserts are homemade and I recommend the Paklava or the honey cake. Enjoy!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Dined early on a recent Friday evening and were the only customers until about 6 pm. The interior was pleasantly decorated and the tables neatly presented. A television mounted in the dining room was blaring the play by play of a Russian hockey match. When asked, our server had the manager promptly mute the audio. Music could be heard, seeping through the walls from the Freehold Music Center, next door. Acoustic annoyances aside, the cuisine was wonderful! The Greek salad was fresh, flavorful, and was more than enough for two. The lamb kabob which is oven roasted with potatoes is still mouth watering in memory and was prepared perfectly. Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. I am looking forward to a return visit to try their soups and desserts.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Friendly service and a delicious taste of Uzbek cuisine. Had tbe best lamb kebobs I have ever eaten and a honey cake that melted in your mouth. The tea was unique and refreshing. Everything was very fresh. Highly reccommended.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Old Bukhara for late lunch few days ago. First thing we noticed is that restaurant is very dark, even in broad daylight, thanks to dropped ceiling that is painted black. Why?
Service good and very friendly, although my wife and I were only patrons at the time.

Fairly extensive menu. Soup was pricey for what amounted to a half-bowl. It was very good, with lots of dumplings that looked and tasted very much like meat-filled tortellini. There were no vegetables in the soup like there is in the picture on the menu, just broth and dumplings - tasted good, but could have been more exciting for the price. My wife’s salad was ok, although green apple was the dominant component and the only one you could taste.
My wife’s chicken kebab was just that - 7 or 8 pieces of chicken - and nothing else - on a skewer. One cup of plain rice was $4 extra! My entree was lamb cooked with prunes that sounded interesting and came highly recommended by the waiter. The lamb was over cooked, the prunes were unrecognizable ( it was too dark to see), and the whole dish was very bland and very greasy.

We will not be back.