See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Came for a girls-only Columbus Day weekend getaway and booked the Mayfair through on the internet. The reviews I read were mixed, so I wasn’t expecting anything extravagant. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel lobby was spotless and the staff were friendly and accommodating. Our room was very, very small and the shower at the foot of the bed was a bit weird..but to be able to open the windows and sleep with the ocean breeze and listening to the waves break was wonderful.
The room was clean, the beds were comfortable. If you’re looking for place to drop your stuff, sleep and shower while you enjoy the beach-this is a great place for that.
My only complaint was that the hallways in the hotel were dark and there was no phone in the room, but otherwise I have no complaints and I’d come back again.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christina G
Reviewed 28 August 2018

This hotel reminds me of hotels we might have stayed at when we were teenage hippies! It's only redeeming point is that it's across the street from the beach -- but otherwise it's seedy, dirty, old, and totally uninviting. The rooms we looked at -- which fortunately they let you see before you take the room -- were terrible. Imagine a bathtub in the room, separated from the foot of the bed by about two feet and a shower curtin. The staff, very young, seemed to suspect we would not like the room - they seemed very laid back about even trying to rent it - I guess they knew all about the place. In the evenings, there seems to be a club in the basement with music and drinks. Unfortunately, this is the only real hotel in Belmar, but it's really not inviting.

Room Tip: To find a good room, go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

This is a lovely old hotel with clean comfortable rooms. Our large window opened up to a lovely breeze off the ocean, which was right across the street. I loved waking up to watch a spectacular sunrise over the ocean, without even leaving the bed. The negatives are that the bathtub/shower are right in the room behind a curtain and the mattress was too soft. Neither bothered me but my husband found it oncomfortable.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

First time in Jersey. In love with it as well. The Mayfair doesn’t have the best reviews but decided to try it out for ourselves. And I’m glad we did. Yes the rooms aren’t big and luscious with all the fancy bells and whistles, but the view is great. Our room faced beach was clean and gave us what we needed. The downfall was the parking or lack of parking and the stairs but hey after eating great food a little excercise never hurt anyone. My husband and loves the hotel. The old building that has been preserved and the staff was great. We will back for vaca again for sure. Ty..

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leticia M
Reviewed 24 July 2018

Staying in the Mayfair is like staying at an SRO hotel in NYC -- rundown and shabby in the lobby, gets worse in the room. Spoiler alert, most rooms do not have separate bathrooms -- shower in the room, the toilet in a water closet. One sink in the room but with no light over the sink. Take my advice, spend a few extra bucks and stay in a decent place. If you are a student and on a tight budget and don't mind dumpy -- this is the place for you. Lot of people seem to work there and they are nice and try to be helpful but there is only so much you can do. By the way, although nominally no smoking -- we smelled a lot of different smoke!

Room Tip: Get one of the remodeled rooms with a separate bathroom!
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple