Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Very interesting

My husband, two young daughters (ages 6 and 9) and I visited Bannack for the day on a Sunday... read more

Reviewed 23 October 2018
Katie M
A great place to walk around an abandoned mining town

Bannack State Park is an abandoned gold mining town. Gold was discovered in 1862 and the population... read more

Reviewed 16 October 2018
scottie552
Calgary, Canada

All reviews ghost town bannack days old west guide book step back in time bannock self guided tour gold mining town lots of history gold rush period furnishings the guidebook open to the public for sale montana history visitor center great piece of history
Reviewed 22 September 2018

Definitely worth the trip to see this ghost town, every house, saloon,, jail, school, etc has been renovated with the authenticity intact. Cost only $6.00 per car. Beautiful location, lots of history, definately worth the trip

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

We visited this Friday. It was the weekend reinactors demonstrate how life was in the 1860’s. It was well done. We learned a lot about Montana history and the hardships of settling the territory. Miners in the area had a hard life. It was good to see people trying to teach visitors about the hardships faced by people in our past. The park is rustic but nice.

Reviewed 12 September 2018

Most of our family has been here but a few have not so we thought we would share the experience. Never disappointed in this cute ghost town. Very cool and really enjoyed our visit.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

Over Labor Day weekend I was in Montana visiting several ghost towns and Bannack State Park is the BEST by far. Visiting Bannack has been on my Bucket List for 4 or 5 years now, so I was super excited to visit. When you first arrive check in at the Ranger Office which is in a little house right next to the parking lot. The Ranger suggested I watch a 15 minute video on the history of Bannack which I did. It have a good overview of how the town came about and some of the people who called Bannack home.

There are so many well preserved buildings in this ghost town. I spent $2 to get the town brochure which provided a map an brief description of most of the buildings. There are wooden sidewalks on both sides of the town. My camera was snapping away pictures at every turn. The school house was a great building with little desks and chalkboard. The church was another great place to take pictures. By far the hotel was my favorite building with the sweeping staircase and all the rooms. I spent several hours exploring the town and probably could have spent several more.

Bannack is a wonderful snapshot into the history of Montana. I highly recommend a stop at Bannack.

1  Thank traveling_with_kathy
Reviewed 7 September 2018

I take all my out of town guests here for a pleasant day in the old west. Come early or come late and the colors are better for flicks.

Date of experience: August 2018