“Breakfast, coffee and bakery.”

Russell's On Macklind
Cuisines: American, Diner, Deli
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 23 February 2021 via mobile

Great breakfast. I highly recommend reservations on the weekends as the place has limited seating and the was a line out the door. We had reservations and got seated right away. We both had the special which consisted of a large crescent roll stuffed with eggs, bacon and cheese, it was amazing. The coffee was very good and they had several choices. The big draw here seems to be their bakery. There was a line through the whole restaurant of people just getting coffee and baked goods. We got a large turtle brownie and gooey butter treat. They were both very good. We saw several people carrying beautiful cakes.

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (165)

Reviewed 6 July 2020 via mobile

Visited with a friend for brunch, was shown to a lovely table on the patio. Drinks orders were taken and left to view a lovely menu and specials. Chose the breakfast flatbread , it was very nice and very filling. Would visit again for sure.

Date of visit: July 2020
Reviewed 18 January 2020

Life intervened so it has been a bit since we have eaten at Russell's thus on a cold wintry evening we found ourselves coming in for dinner. The atmosphere is like a charming brasserie complete with exposed brick, fireplace and the most magnificent pastry display case gracing one end. I was very pleased to see that Russell's offers a 3 course menu made up from regular menu items for an extremely reasonable price. I was raised on restaurants who routinely offered a menu of the day usually of the freshest ingredients or the chef-d'œuvre of the chef. Well considering that everything is delicious, there is really no going wrong with this choice. The only thing I would prefer is that I find the portions, which I was informed are the normal ones, are really much too large for a 3 course meal. Half of everything served would have been plenty. I know that take-away is offered but sometimes eating the leftovers is either not possible or some do not re-heat well. Now there is one caveat to this...the dessert, but I digress.

We ordered the beet salad and roasted Brussels sprouts to start followed with the gnudi and roasted chicken. Everything was prepared and presented beautifully. All accompanied by an acceptable sangiovese.

Now to dessert. I am given to understand that Russell has stepped back into the role of pastry chef and the world is a better place for that. The pastry case is a work of art and decadent, delicious, sublime are all adjectives that would not be overused to describe them. We requested that the desserts be halved and one portion immediately boxed. However Clint said that they really needed to be presented whole for the effect and he was not wrong. So after a few bites we boxed them up for later enjoyment. It took me two more days to finish the espresso cake. One thing I noticed is that the desserts were not as overly sweet as most American desserts, which allowed all the other flavours to come through. This even applied to the sample of gooey butter cake we were given. When I first moved to St. Louis I tried all their regional specialities and always found gooey butter cake to be obnoxiously sweet; the one at Russell's is lovely. The shortbread would be magnificent on its own even without the topping. We finished off this fabulous meal with a double espresso made from freshly ground beans!

Service is friendly and professional and Clint was delightful. I did not get his name, but I noticed that the assistant server/busser was also doing an excellent job. He was constantly circulating the room ever vigilant and engaging. It is even these little things that make for a wonderful evening and we certainly had that!

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank VHTA
Reviewed 17 November 2019

I have visited Russell’s several times for dinner and have always been impressed with the care taken in preparing great ingredients.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed 24 October 2019 via mobile

I am on a Facebook group with other Navy Moms. We decided to have a trip to finally meet and decided on St. Louis as a central place since we are from all over the country. We met here for dinner one night and were treated like family! The service, the food, the owner... were well beyond our expectations! The food was delicious and the portions were humongous! The wine was perfect. Our server Clint and the owner are doing absolutely everything right!!! This may have been the best meal that I have had in a very long time! Only the service could top the food!!!

Date of visit: October 2019