Open today: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Lok Kawi Wildlife Park
from US$55.00
More Info
All reviews entrance fee feeding times pygmy elephants sun bear couple of hours per adult two hours animal shows wildlife borneo kk visitors upgrading kota foreigners conservation jungle
Reviewed 1 May 2018

Sad to see that the park is not well maintained still (probably due to insufficient funds), it gets worse every time we visit the park. and the animals look distressed. It could be a very nice park otherwise.

We were pretty much enjoy our family outing despite the scorching hot weather.
Some very special wild animals fueled our interest.

Overall that's an enjoyable visit, though a bit sad…

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 30 April 2018

went there as we were in the area hoping to see some orang-utan which we did but they really looked so sad, don't know if it's their general behaviour, but they really seemed unhappy
the park is nice with great vegetation, specially at the botanical side
as for the animals I would say it's an upgraded zoo which is well maintained
it was a nice morning out

Reviewed 26 April 2018

Unfortunately poor coordination by our tour arrangers caused a casual morning to be transformed into a crowded melee. The animals appeared to be well cared for, without having a lot of space. Amenities are sparse and poorly maintained.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

I always wanted to see these creatures, and this was my chance. I am so glad I saw them, but I could not help but think they were unhappy. The park is well laid out but the enclosures look small and not ideal. I understand it probably is part of the only conservation that exists in Borneo but. Its worth going to see simply as some of the creatures there are really under threat. The apes (who are the stars of the show), Elephants, Sun bears and Probosis monkeys. The reptile house needs some desperate attention! I can understand why some might might go and be disappointed.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

On a recent trip to Sabah I had a half day to fill so I booked a tour to Lok Kawi Wildlife Park.
To my surprise at the designated departure time I was greeted with a waiting taxi. We travelled to hlaf hour or so journey to the park and the driver purchased the entry tickets and said he would wait.
Entering the park and I must point out it was a very hot day we started to follow the path to who knows where as there was no signage indicationg what animals were where and when coming across animals the enclosures were fairly void of any ground cover and not a lot of shade. Some animals were displaying signs of stress pacing back and forward just a few steps each way, the proboscis monkeys were by far the most active swimming, climbing and eating. Their enclosure had more shade.
The Arang Utans had no real trees and being hot no shade and were forced to seek some respite from the sun by sitting in the shadow of wooden posts forming presumably their climbing structure. For an aboreal animal they were forced to exist on the ground, not natural for them.
Some hand rails made from 50mm steel pipe were corroded through on the top presenting the possibility of injury.
As previously mentioned it was the heat of the day so most of the animals were all seeking shade.
After walking through the animal displays the botanical part of the park was closed so ther was no opportunity available there.
In short it was not an expensive tour, the taxi was very convenient but the park was extremely dissapointing and sad. Lok Kawi seemed to me to be an old style zoo that needed some serious mantainance and some effort to make the life of the animals more natural. Hard to reccomend.

2  Thank John J