“Top Notch Independent Steak House in Minneapolis”
Review of Manny's Steakhouse

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: S 8th St - Foshay Tower
Reviewed 28 June 2022

It has been years since we have traveled back to Minneapolis and have eaten at Manny's. The steaks and the service still continue to be excellent. I had the filet and my wife had the salmon. Both entrees were cooked to perfection. Some big negatives this visit were they are considerable overprices compared to other high end steakhouses especially the wine list. Also they charged a 5% service charge of your total bill. I am sure that was from the Covid era, but that should be taken off now. I don't mind spending money for quality but these prices are out of line compared to their competition. Overall, enjoyed our meal and our service, but disappointed with the exorbitant prices and unnecessary 5% service charge. We ate at the Capital Grill just down street on this trip and our our bill was $75 cheaper for basically the same meal.

Date of visit: June 2022
1  Thank FrenchieFragments
Write a reviewReviews (1,937)

Reviewed 28 June 2022 via mobile

First let me say the $$$$ could be $$$$$ if the scale went that high. But (big BUT) it was totally worth it. Most of the steaks are aged and so good. The bludgeon could literally be used as a weapon. Sides were huge. We ordered 3 for 5 people and it was way too much. You won't go home hungry or unhappy (except for your wallet).

Date of visit: June 2022
Reviewed 13 May 2022

My wife and I were really excited to try this "Top 10 steakhouse". Little did we know that it would be in the top 10 of our most mediocre and disappointing restaurant experiences, relative to the cost. I have no problem dropping a few hundred bucks or more for a nice dinner, but I expect it to be delicious...I guess we set our expectations too high this time.

The waitstaff was friendly and hardworking, though our primary waiter was clearly on autopilot. It was easy to tell that he'd rather be doing anything other than showing off saran-wrapped steak choices and ludicrously large sides with the same witty descriptions as he used at the last table.

We ordered cocktails to start. My $22 Manhattan was passable, but the Heart of Fire cocktail that my wife ordered was watered down and forgettable.

That said, the wine list and selection of liquor pours were decent and reasonably priced for a higher-end restaurant.

The shrimp cocktail appetizer included decently-sized shrimp, but it's my opinion that grated Parmesan cheese has no business as a topping for cocktail sauce.

I ordered a porterhouse (rare), and my wife opted for the NY strip (med rare). The steaks themselves were quality cuts of impressively thick meat, cooked to the correct temperature, which is what we expected. What we did not anticipate was the total lack of flavor for either steak - as if no salt, pepper, or any other seasoning or even butter or oil was added by the kitchen.

I cannot over-emphasize how utterly bland our steaks were. Our plates arrived with only the steaks on them, with no visible shininess on the steaks indicating that it was basted in butter, brushed with oil or had any preparation other than slapping the raw meat onto the grill and pulling it off. Were we supposed to TELL the bored waiter at this "Top 10 steakhouse" that we wanted our steaks seasoned?!

Manny's seems to be known for their hashbrown side, and I can get a baked potato anywhere, so we ordered the hashbrowns. What arrived at our table was a greasy mound of underseasoned, soggy hashbrowns. I couldn't wait to get home and recoup my $18.95 by dumping them into a cast iron skillet with sea salt, pepper, pork sausage, cracked eggs, and cheese the next morning!

The dessert menu offers standard steakhouse fare, and we opted for the cheesecake. It's a decent portion for $18.95, but the menu fails to mention that it's a crustless cheesecake. Just what I needed...less flavor! I understand that non-traditional crustless cheesecakes exist, and may be a great dessert option for gluten-free diners, but TELL people, or add a description in the menu so I'm not expecting a traditional graham cracker crust. Hey, at least it had strawberries.

Though I'd love to forget about our first and last experience at Manny's, I'll surely be reminded about the almost $500 it cost, when it's time to pay my Amex bill.

Date of visit: May 2022
1  Thank bbelau
Reviewed 28 February 2022 via mobile

My fiancé and I came into Manny’s on a busy Saturday night, while staying at W (Manny’s is W’s dinner outlet), after a flattering comment of our Uber driver that this restaurant has the best steak in town! We needed to check that out :)

The place was full however we were promptly seated at the high top table near the bar, which was totally comfortable. Our server Paul was amazing! He brought a tray with all the kinds of steak (raw) to show and explained each kind to us. Such a beautiful and interesting presentation! In 5 minutes we learnt more about the steak than in our whole life - THANK YOU, PAUL.

We ended up choosing a porterhouse steak, that has filet mignon on one side of the bone and NY strip on the other - I can’t say it was the best steak I’ve ever tasted, but it was very good. I thoroughly enjoyed it with a glass of Cote du Rhône.

Now, the PORTIONS ARE HUGE. A smaller porterhouse and a side of caramelized Brussels sprouts (yummm) was more than enough for two people.

Also, a separate Kudos goes to all the server team in general - they work as a single perfect mechanism! Filling up our waters, they remembered from the first ask that we take it without ice, and three different people made sure there is not a cube of ice in our glasses. How thoughtful!

Dear Fellow Traveler, thank you for reading all the way through this long review, I hope it was helpful :) if you have questions about the restaurant or hotel, want to see more photos and videos or just want to say Hi, feel free to reach out to my Insta @daria.newyork ❤️
Cheers to good people, magnificent places and unique experiences!

Date of visit: February 2022
1  Thank daria_newyork
Reviewed 29 December 2021 via mobile

It was darn good steak. Excellent cut in marbling. The potatoes were mouth warming and the bread was soft and delicious. Will definitely be going back again! Highly recommend to businessmen and tourists alike.

Date of visit: January 2021