All reviews room was clean hot tub nice size duluth area hotel is located stayed one night indoor pool would stay again mini fridge oatmeal continental breakfast airport driveway mall mn
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

We found Econo Lodge as a lower price option in Duluth. We knew it was a 2 star hotel but having never stayed at a 2 star hotel, didn't know what to expect. On the negative side... the hotel is older and pretty run down. The carpet on the stairs was thin, the smell was stagnant but not really smokey or moldy. The sink in the room didn't really drain well.

The upside, the ac worked, the shower was decent.

There was a microwave, a mini fridge, a TV and a coffee maker in the room, none of which we used.

The highlight for me was the staff. Every single person we came across wished us good morning, or said hello, and thanked us for staying there. It really made me feel welcome.

The continental breakfast was decent as well.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2018

The desk clerks on all shifts were very friendly and helpful.

The lobby is straight out of the 197os, but the rooms were updated, clean, and comfortable. The noise level was low. I felt safe at the location. As with other Econo Lodges, there is no elevator.

The driveway was really rough, however, whether you entered from the front or back side.

The breakfast was average for an Econo Lodge. There is a water cooler with bottled water in the lobby, which was nice because the tap water wasn't very good.

It is a basic motel, but I would stay there again. Great for the price.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2018

My flight was re-directed to land in Duluth after some bad weather curtailed our landing in Minneapolis. I arrived at the EconoLodge tired, hungry, and a little bit frustrated. Two others arrived at the same time, also from the airport. We had all been on the same flight.

It was 11:00pm. None of us had eaten dinner. The gentleman at reception knew that the Subway restaurant, one block away, was open until 11:00pm. He called the restaurant and asked if they could keep the doors open. And they did! If it weren't for him, we would have gone to bed hungry. The morning breakfast at the EconoLodge was surprisingly good as well. I expected a dreary combination of jam, white bread, and a toaster...because that's what I see at most economy hotels. But they served eggs, fruit, oatmeal, juice, coffee, tea, sausages, muffins and a variety of other baked goods. Alanda, one of the hotel employees, greeted everyone at breakfast with a kind word and a lovely smile.
The hotel's staff epitomises kindness. Getting to the hotel, the previous evening, I had spent $50 on an Uber taxi for the five minute ride. I timed it. It really was just five minutes. Uber has an exploitative and variable pricing model, which is most obvious when people REALLY need them. I told the manager, Debbie, at the EconoLodge. She was so shocked and upset, she offered to drive me to the airport herself the next day. Would I come back to this hotel? Absolutely.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2018

This was a decent place, room was well kept, the front desk quickly responded to requests. Breakfast was okay.

However, at this time a large part of the driveway around the inn is under repair, which made driving late through the parking lot a bit of an adventure.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

Our bed was fine, but the room was pretty dated and quite dirty. Window was very gross and the screen was not totally on and had a cut in it. The chair was stained and nasty. Totally needs an update bad.

Date of stay: May 2018