“Pool”

Comfort Suites South Haven
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

we walked in asked if there was a pool and how much was the room. Pool being #1 priority for our daughter. Price being #1 priority for us. Price was good. I went back to the car where my husband was and he said I smelled like choline, I said well they have a pool. We asked for a 1st floor room because we just got back from 2 days of walking in Chicago. We got settled in our room which was a king bed and a pull out couch, the room itself was quite big. It was a non smoking room but it smelled like smoke, not a huge deal I had spray deodorizer with me. We went into town to have lunch then came back for a nap/swim. We went down to the pool and as soon as we opened the door there was a cholorine smell. I didn't swim but was there to make sure there was no drowning. My daughter who is 11 and will swim in just about anything said that her throat was burning after about 5 mins of being in there. I had her get out because that just can't be good for the lungs . Whoever puts the choline in goes way over board. So, my rating is a 3 based off of the pool. The breakfast was good, sausage and eggs, waffles, bagels, danishes, etc. The girl (short and cute didn't get her name) that checked us in also checked us out she was very nice.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jenny3479

Reviewed 22 August 2017

I am not usually picky, just give me nice staff and clean sheets. We did not get either on this stay this weekend. My husband climbed into bed to find hairs all over in sheets. We called down and they sent up another set of sheets for us to change. Those sheets were wet, not just damp so we had to call again for another set. Breakfast was basic but nothing special but we noticed ants all over the counter so we shared that with the staff. At check out I thought I would share our experience... the manager came out and listened to my concern and then said I will give you $35 refund but had to find staff to complete this transaction...... I literally had to wait for him to go find someone to process. When it was over... I got $25 back, not sure how that miscommunication occurred but figured I would let it go. I paid $249 for the room so figured 10/ discount was best he could do. But there are a few other hotels on this strip that I will try next time and skip this one.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Heidi S
Reviewed 7 August 2017

My wife and I use Comfort Inns and Suites a lot and have generally had good to great esxperience with them. Our visit with South Haven was an exception to the rule. The hotel was clean, fairly up to date and pleasant. The first thing we noticed was that the room lights were all lamped with low light output LED's or CFL's and one felt trapped in the dimness at night even with all the lights on that worked. Desk light was dead. A minor annoyance was the closet rod was about a half inch below the shelf so you had to turn a hangar sideways and then rotate down to hang anything. Our room was ground floor with a meeting room next to it and on our second night it was used for a ladies party which we could hear with stunning clarity up until 11 PM when we couldn't stand it any longer and called to complain to the front desk. Our third night some glitch in their phone system caused the room phone to ring once every hour from 2 AM to 6 AM when I unplugged the phones. I also notice that the ceiling transmits footsteps above and plumbing noise well. Our stay was just one of constant irritations we will be in no hurry to repeat. Avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2017

First let me say I am a fan of Comfort Suites and will stay at their properties again. Although I have been pleased with this South Haven Comfort Suites a number of times, I will not stay here again. Front desk staff were nice enough though unwelcoming; and they were unprofessional and at a loss when the hotel lost WiFi one evening. It looked to us as though common areas were vacuumed daily, but when guests come back from the beach all day long, the lobby and elevator get wet and sandy and icky pretty fast. The indoor swimming pool had an area of white scum on the water’s surface the whole three days we were there. Walls in the ice machine/elevator alcove were badly scratched. Our room was not especially clean—only two little gross things, but there should not be any. Breakfast was standard motel fare, but in our opinion, very cheap quality. My stomach turned at the idea of eating another rubbery hard-boiled egg the second morning.

Despite our disappointment on this visit, this Comfort Suites is still mostly your average motel, and if you do decide to stay here, I can offer a little info that I hope might help you. The room windows open. Over a few summers, we have had rooms facing both east and west, and we have never heard any road noise. In our experience, nights are quiet here. The fridge works well; it has no separate freezer compartment, but if you turn the knob to the coldest temp, your frozen items will at least stay very cold. Our rooms have always had plenty of lamps and outlets and USB ports. When the closet door folds open, the bathroom door cannot open, so if you’re in the bathroom when your roommate goes out, be sure he or she does not leave the closet door open. Although this motel is east of Hwy. 196, downtown South Haven is only a few minutes’ drive. Also, if you need to purchase anything, you are just a minute or two from a Walmart, an Aldi, a Meijer, and a Walgreens.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2017

This one one of the worse hotels I've ever stayed in and I am not typically someone who is picky. I stayed for 2 nights (Friday-Sunday). On Sunday morning they charged my card for the 2 nights which was fine. When I checked my account there was a $253.00 hold on it. I immediately went downstairs and showed them and asked what it was for and the girl behind the counter had no clue. She just told me "not to worry about it" and that "it will probably disappear."...I don't know about you, but I'm not made of money. A $253.00 dollar hold is something I'd like to know about! Days later I called back because it was STILL there and they STILL had no clue what I was talking about. 6 days later is finally went away and was put back into my account. Thankfully. Could you imagine if that over-drafted me? Get more competent people to work at your location...

As for the hotel itself? It's average at best. Very outdated, smelly and absolutely not worth the over $500 I spent for a 2 night stay. I get you are paying for the curb appeal of beautiful South Haven more than the hotel itself, but yikes get some upgrades. The elevator was shaky every time we went on it, the room was smelly, the fridge was working poorly, the "Wi-FI" if you could call it that was TERRIBLE.I could go on and on. The only good part about the room was the bed, it was relatively comfortable.

Do yourself a favor, stay at the holiday inn next door or better yet a bed and breakfast in town. You would probably pay the same amount but you'll get much better treatment.
Delete review

Room Tip: All floors were noisy and outdated.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
39.8 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph

Been to Comfort Suites South Haven? Share your experiences!