“Happy Campers”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newberry
Kritter's Northcountry Campground & Cabins
Reviewed 9 September 2015

Stayed 10 days, enjoyed ourselves. Camp host, Larry and Kathy were very friendly and helpful. Stayed over a very busy holiday, camp grounds were FULL and everybody was having a good time. Quite at nite. This is why we camp, had a GREAT time.

Room Tip: Call early if you want FULL hookup.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna N
KathyBartolomucci, Owner at Kritter's Northcountry Campground & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2015

Hi Donna! Thanks for the great review, we truly appreciate it!! It was a pleasure meeting you guys, you gave us multiple times to smile and laugh!! We are very thankful that you guys had a great time here with us, we work very hard to make sure that happens for everyone. Please come back and see us again soon!!!

Reviewed 31 August 2015

My family enjoyed a relaxing 6 nights @Kritters. I worried that our 1st TENT camping trip in 15 years would fail with my tech-addicted tween/teens. We all had a blast!

Kathy and Larry were extremely gracious hosts. They were visable/available at all times and care deeply about their new campground venture. They take Customer Service a step beyond. I'm puzzled at a couple of negative reviews, as my family stayed there at the same time. I wonder if the reviewers are new to camping, possibly?

~Consider the vast # of campsites and daily chores required to maintain a pleasant atmosphere. I've stayed at campgrounds where icky toilets were clogged for days.

~These go-getters are Customer-Service driven. Larry and Kathy routinely circle the grounds multiple times per day to check/seek out guests' issues/offer assistance...beginning with numerous informative emails before our arrival to help kick off our fun trip.
~I saw the bathroom floors muddy with kids' footprints one rainy night, for maybe an hour at prime time. C'mon? Are we camping here? Are we in the dewy rainforesty U.P.? Everything in the campground was spotless, my family all commented several times, especially on the BathHouse/Laundry/Dishes area. The bathrooms and showers were large and smelled fresh-clean-great, had lots of ventilation, and centrally located for those 3 a.m. jogs. ;) I've truly never seen campground facilities as clean as these. No litter, fresh trash bags in all camper use areas, emptied fire pits, impeccably maintained grounds, minimal signage, updated playground, etc. Super Tidy and Fresh.
~Kathy updated us daily on area weather and made fantastic daytrip suggestions to accommodate crowds/weather/our interests.
~Wood and Ice available any time
~Larry Adapted the site electrcal outlet so we could charge that TECH!

Please consider camping as an opportunity to rough it a bit and have a sense of humor. Example: TP...always have your own. Campgrounds usually have sandpaper TP. Kritters was pillowy soft. :) These amazing hosts deserve only stellar reviews. Best wishes Larry and Kathy, your improvements will upgrade your excellent service.
Thanks, Kritters! My family is now requesting TENT camping!
PB

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Patti B
KathyBartolomucci, Owner at Kritter's Northcountry Campground & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

Where do I begin? I will start with THANK YOU for your review!! We enjoyed your family so much and are so happy that you had a great stay with us! Your kind and well thought out review was wonderful to read and we truly appreciate it. It is our hope that everyone leaves here feeling the same way that you and your family felt! We hope you come back and see us again!!!

Reviewed 27 August 2015

Very nice campground and cabins. We stayed in a very clean and cozy cabin. The owners Larry and Kathy were very friendly and informative about the local attractions. They went out of their way to make our stay comfy. They made us feel at home. Well worth the cost. We'll be back many times.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
KathyBartolomucci, Owner at Kritter's Northcountry Campground & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2015

Thank you so much for you kind words about our park! So happy to hear that you enjoyed your cabin, we work very hard to make sure they are super clean for everyone, and comfortable. We do strive to make everyone feel welcome and at home here during their stay with us. Happy to read that you will be coming back again, can't wait to see both of you soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2015

The owners clearly do not know anything about customer service! We had reservations for Friday and Saturday night checking out Sunday. On Sunday, we were in the process of cleaning up our site and folding down our camper when the owner so rudely informed us that we needed to move immediately and that we were past the time of check out. At this time, there was a camper waiting to get into our site even though there were approximately 20 other sites available. We told the owner that we are almost done (which was obvious) and that we were sorry but we were working as quickly as possible. The owners response was "You better get off the site
or I'm charging you for another night" The couple who was waiting for the lot were very congenial and didn't mind waiting for us so I really didn't understand what the owners big deal was other than acting like a jack a__!

All I can say is when you treat people the way you treated my family, eventually you will get exactly what you deserve....good luck!

Room Tip: Stay at the State Parks! Anything is better than here.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank keepsusgoing
KathyBartolomucci, Owner at Kritter's Northcountry Campground & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2015

Let me first begin by stating that the rules are clearly listed that check out is at noon, and you received a copy of the guidelines at check in. It was 1:15 p.m. when the next campers arrived for their site. They waited an additional 45 minutes to get on their site! Yes they were "congenial" waiting for you, however when I went to speak with them after you left, they were less than happy with how long you took. There are reasons in place for the check in and check out times. We have to clean sites, mow, etc. And those same "congenial" guests stated upon speaking to them that the owner was NOT rude to you at all. He did state that you may have pay for another night, which is in the rules and guidelines. You stated other sites were available, but you don't realize that they were reserved. He was in way rude to you, he was clearly and respectfully stating that you were well past check out time and others were waiting. We treat everyone here wonderfully as you can tell by past reviews.

Reviewed 16 August 2015

The campground itself is nice with large sites. After we made a reservation on-line, the email confirmation stated clearly that you could not have a rug or mat of any kind. We actually left ours at home because we thought we could not have one. When we got there, most people had a carpet down. I was very frustrated because we did not have ours because we were trying to follow the rules. You also are not supposed to string a line on trees, which I totally understand, so we didn't even though it rained and we had lots of wet stuff from the beach. Other families did though and I even saw a family allowing their boys to shave the trees in their site with knives. Disappointing. Camping was pretty typical, some loud and rude families, others were very friendly and good neighbors.

My biggest issue was the bathrooms. The women's side has 2 showers and 4 sinks. It really needs some updating. The water for the sinks has separate cold and hot faucets, so you can't get them to blend into warm. Most frustrating is that you have to hold each one on so that water will flow. This makes it impossible to effectively wash your hands and actually get them clean. There was usually a line for the showers on the weekend and the showers have a button to push for water that lasts a very short time and then you continually re-push it until you are done with your shower. The water is warm, but the shower head is permanently aimed for the corner and cannot be adjusted. This made it very difficult for me to shower my little ones and wasn't much fun for me either- you can't access the full stream of water. The showers are very small as well. The floor in the bathroom was constantly covered in water and dirt. The bathroom was completely out of toilet tissue one morning and I had to hunt someone down to let them know. When I did find the owner, he was shooting the breeze with someone and made a comment that he " didn't get in there this morning". Not cool! It was about 8:30 am- not super early. Luckily I has some stashed in my car......because he went back to shooting the breeze. Another morning the lights in the bathroom were not working. So the bathhouse was a downer.

The wi-fi did not work, ever, for my husband or myself. It didn't matter where you were or how close to the office. It did not work. We tried the log-on codes given from the office.....don't plan on using wi-fi. We did not need to have it, it just would have been nice. So if you need it for work, don't count on it.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary T
KathyBartolomucci, Owner at Kritter's Northcountry Campground & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2015

We are sorry to hear that your stay here was not a completely happy one. Please allow me to clear up some things for you. Yes, the website does say no rugs or mats, however those rules are not written in stone. We do that to preserve the grass, but when you check in we do say that you can have a small one. At this point in the summer and without any rain everything is so dead that the use of the rugs is no longer an issue. It's so dry this year that we have been allowing more so guests don't track sand in and out of their camper. I'm sorry you didn't bring yours, but I do appreciate that you read the rules. If you had inquired before arriving we would have told you that it was o.k. As for hanging things from the trees, we have tried to be understanding, we know people need a place to hang things. As long as it isn't damaging the trees it's fine. That means no nails etc. in the trees, but tying lines is not hazardous. As for the other people shaving the trees, well had we caught them they would have been asked to leave, that is unacceptable!!!!
As for your neighbors, I haven't met anyone here who was rude, but then we don't spend all of our time outside with the guests. We are very strict about quiet time, so if it was after that you could have let us know and we would have dealt with them. If it's before quiet time, well they are on vacation too and are entitled to have fun. Typically it's so quiet here at 11:00 p.m. you could hear a pin drop.
Concerning your issues with the bathrooms....sure it could use a bit of updating, but we keep them very clean. Your statement that they weren't is not only unfair, but untrue. We clean those bathrooms 3 times a day. I know there was toilet paper in the other stalls that day that you spoke to my husband, possibly you picked the one that was empty, I hate that too. But we clean out there in the mornings, afternoons, and last thing at night and every night there are full rolls of toilet paper. We cannot control what happens during the night. As for him "shooting the breeze" that is part of being a good host, and it is possible that the guest he was talking to needed his help as well. So before we rush to judgment saying it was "not cool" you need to know what that guests issue was. Just the other morning we put toilet paper in the restrooms at 7 a.m. and by 10 a.m. it was out again, so it goes quickly!
As for the shower heads, there is a reason for them not being adjustable. There is in fact a reason for every thing in the bathrooms. The shower heads cannot be moved because "funny" people and kids turn them towards the outside of the stalls and leave them run, they also leave the water on so that is why they are a push button. The same goes for the sinks, people leave them run, so we have to control that. There are plugs for the drains so you can fill the sink if necessary. The separate handles are so that you can make the temperature the way you would like while filling the sink. If we go to one knob, it will be set at one temperature the way the showers are. And the water in the showers is as hot as legally allowed, everyone says that are nice and warm. It is just not possible to have faucets that you turn off and on, because they will get left on. I understand it can be difficult to shower small children, but it is the best solution with the shower heads. I don't think the stalls are small at all, and you are the first I've heard mention that, I'm sorry if you were uncomfortable.
As for the floors being constantly covered in dirt and water, again, we clean 3 times a day but people are in and out of there all day. We do our best to stay on top of it, but we can't be out there constantly. One reason the floors stay wet is because on high humidity days the pipes and toilet tanks sweat really badly and it's impossible to keep them dry. So then when guests come in with sand on their shoes it becomes like mud. Even with a not so clean floor the sinks and toilets and showers are scrubbed and disinfected those three times each day. Just about all of our guests comment on how clean the bathrooms are and thank us for taking care of them the way that we do. I guess what I'm saying is that for everything in the bathrooms there is a reason for why it is that way. There are plans to repaint the floors and stalls in the bathrooms. As for the morning the lights weren't working, someone tripped the breaker and it was fixed as soon as we knew about it, these things happen when blow dryers and flat irons are being used in great numbers.
As for the wi-fi, it is an amenity/courtesy that we have it, and it does work. People use it every single day here. Yes, you may have to take a walk closer to the office to get it, but it works. We are actively pursuing ways to make it stronger to the guests in farther parts of the campground and that will hopefully be fixed soon. We hope you will give us another try, and I hope I have answered some of the issues that you had while you were here. Thanks.

Been to Kritter's Northcountry Campground & Cabins? Share your experiences!