Review Highlights
A Lovely, Elegant Bed & Breakfast

My husband and I enjoyed the ambiance of the Henderson Castle in October. The furnishings in The... read more

Reviewed 5 December 2018
Meander42743207896
Fun stay

Food and bar was good, the staff were accommodating and friendly. The only hitch in their giddyup... read more

Reviewed 30 November 2018
Dreamer44188429421
Ann Arbor, Michigan

All reviews architectural tour dining room french room hot tub on the roof french chef place to stay no rush nice stay our room was spacious historic rooms aunt and uncle tower room beautiful vintage fresh fruit anniversary trip service was great staff was friendly
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Me and my husband’s stay at Henderson Castle, June 9, 2018. We went to celebrate our 30 anniversary and we were so disappointed. My story begins at the check in process. The person checking us in wanted us to sign a piece of paper that she read us the B & B policy before she read us the policy. We go up to our bedroom and on our bed are 2 pairs of slippers – there is a card explaining if we take the protective covering off the slippers they were ours for 5.99 (or so). The card also explained we would have 2 robes in our room for our use. Looking around the room, no robes. In the bathroom we check out the shower and there is another note explaining it’s a 13 head shower. The owner had rheumatoid arthritis and the water was helpful. But the shower is no longer working because of broken pipes. What no shower in the room? So, we went down stairs to ask about the robes. Counter person tells us they are out of robes. At a bed and breakfast? Went back to our room and I was taking pictures of everything. Noticed the rugs did not look like they had been vacuumed in the living area nor the bathroom. Not too happy. During my picture taking of the chandelier noticed spider webs way up at the ceiling. Maybe they were too high to get? We had the turret room and we are checking out the view. My husband noticed there is a black bag of garbage outside our window which is the roof to the porch. Showing it to me we now notice there is a broom and hose out there too. Whoever worked on the roof must have left some stuff up there? It is now dinner time – and we asked to see their menu, they give a tablet to look at (kind of cool) and they told us with the room we would get a 20.00 gift certificate for our meal. But everything was 80.00 dollar and plus. No thank you. We went to a nice Mexican restaurant and both ate and with the tip for under 20.00. We get back to the B & B and that is when the fire alarm starts going off. After the 3rd time a fire truck shows up. All false alarms. I think it went off 2 more times. At this point I decide to complain to the manager. And she listened very nicely to me and she said would see what she could do. I did explain I wanted to come on our 25th anniversary but they were booked so I had waited 5 years to come. I was not a happy camper. So back to my room. We go to use the jacuzzi tub, there is no drain stopper you have to use this round Rubbermaid like disc to keep the water in. My husband had to hold it because there was not enough water in the tub to hold by itself. Uggh. The jacuzzi was nice and both of us got to use it. I had to take my bath in there and wash my hair. Did I mention I hate taking a bath? After we got out of the tub and laying around the room the house manager brings us desert and champagne (we don’t drink) oh but she had non-alcoholic champagne. We declined the beverage but took the deserts. They were very good. About 10 o’clock we have a knock at our door but we did not answer it as we were in bed already. The bed is awesome. The air conditioner barely can keep the room cool enough. We survived. In the morning we get ready to go down to breakfast and when we opened the door there are 2 robes on the door handles. How nice we are dressed and ready to get our breakfast. Oh, the robes do not have any ties. So, we go down to breakfast and find out that with our room we can get scrambled eggs and toast or oatmeal and cereal. If we wanted anything extra like bacon that would be extra. Hhmm. They gave us the tablet menu (only 1) so we had to take turns. We decided to go with what came with the room. Our waitress told us where the drinks were and I asked if they had apple juice. She said she would check. I had to ask what she found out, the apple jusice was warm, so I guess I’m having orange juice. The breakfast was so-so. Got a croissant – no butter, got toast with my runny eggs and had to asked for butter. After we were done with our meal our waitress brought us the black book. It explained the value of our meal and if we had excellent service we should tip XX.XX and so forth. Who tips at a B & B? I had to run upstairs to get some money (we like to pay with cash) because who brings down their purse to breakfast? We could not get out of there fast enough. There were many other things that irritated us but this is getting pretty long. They had an envelope for housekeeping for a tip too. I left them a list of what should be cleaned in the room. I did get a call from a lady on Monday wanting to know about our stay. So, I told her all of these things. She did offer us a free night stay but I felt that we would not be treated well because we were “those people” that complained. She said she didn’t know what else she could do for us. I suggested maybe something off the room that we already paid for. And she did not reply to that. I guess they got our money and they were done with us. For being such a highly rated B & B I would not recommend it to anyone. The house itself was beautiful just not ran very well.

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank mllja9
flmoyet, Manager at The Henderson Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2018

Hello, I sincerely apologize for your poor experience with us. Thank you for being patient with us and giving us valuable feedback. I am sorry that your stay was not as you expected and hope to serve you better in the future as we work to improve with every comment we receive.

Reviewed 29 June 2018

We went to Mother’s Day Brunch this year. Not only did we have bad service, but the food was just OK. For three people and drinks the total price tag was over $300. This experience was not worth half that.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
flmoyet, Manager at The Henderson Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Hello, thank you for your feedback as this was our first event of this kind and plan to make this event better in the future. I apologize for your poor experience with us.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

My fiancée and I went to this place in late May of 2018 and stayed in the Italian Suite. It was very nice accommodations with the room , the

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Hello, I appreciate your feedback and would like to hear more about your stay with us.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Staff was extremely friendly! The room was clean. Great overall experience. Would definitely go back!!

Date of experience: June 2018
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thank you for your feedback, Winnie! We are very glad you enjoyed your visit to the Henderson Castle and are excited to see you back again!

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I have not yet spent the night, but I have attended multiple events and I plan to go to more in the future! The food is absolutely delicious and definitely worth the price. The atmosphere is intimate and timeless. You would never expect a place like this in the middle of Kalamazoo. I greatly enjoy spending time here.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thank you for your feedback, Stephanie! We are so glad you enjoy your time at the Henderson Castle & are excited to see you again soon!