“Terrible food and shoddy workmanship in so called castle.”

The Henderson Castle
Ranked #14 of 41 things to do in Kalamazoo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular inn in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our French chef François Moyet. Get a massage, facial or manicure in our day spa. Soak in our rooftop hot tub while taking in the best view of downtown Kalamazoo that's available. Stay for dinner at our restaurant and indulge in the finest French food southwest Michigan has to offer. Why settle for a hotel - instead experience luxury fit for a King or Queen. Visit us for a Tour and wine tasting and experience the History of the Castle and the life of the Henderson's.. In addition to the inn, restaurant and spa, we offer a banquet hall and ball room that can accomodate ceremonies, corporate meetings, holiday parties, family events, baby showers and more. Our lodging is available per night, for a weekend or could even be arranged for extended stay. Our daily tours, princess tea parties, murder mystery dinner party and high tea are fun things to do in Kalamazoo. If you'd like to book a room, make dinner reservations or just have a question, don't hesitate to contact us. The Henderson Castle Inn is here for every type of guest. Relax in our ADA accessible guest room, the Library Room, featuring an accessible shower with grab bars & handheld shower-head. A ramp wraps around the rear of the Castle and can be accessed by using the Gallery entrance to allow accessibility to the 1st floor. Unfortunately the 2nd and 3rd floors can be accessed by stairs only. While the restaurant is located primarily on the 1st floor, events are sometimes scheduled in the 3rd floor Ballroom.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our food was dry, tasteless and the table next to us has a similarly bad experience. They complained to the waitstaff who pretty much shrugged it off. They refused to pay and walked out. The waitress said something like “not again”
Three people in our party of 4 had the salmon Wellington. Supposed to be European eggs (light, buttery, fluffy), salmon, and hollandaise sauce wrapped in puff pastry. But, they had microwaved it and the puff pastry was chewy, the eggs over cooked and dry, and the salmon was over cooked. It was inedible. The hollandaise was chunky and more like an egg chutney—disgusting. The manager said that because we were seated toward the end of brunch, they had to microwave the Wellington. It was prepared earlier in the day and they weren’t going to make new. And it cost us $100 PER PERSON. One person in our party had the steak and it was over cooked and dry. They brought her a new steak. But they refused to do anything about the Wellington. They offered no discount and said that brunch was ending soon so they weren’t going to make us new food. It was laughably absurd hiw they just didn’t care that our food was inedible.
About the “castle”, it’s a large house with shoddy workmanship. The original wood is beautiful, but then there’s the ameture upgrades and shoddy workmanship and cheap upgrades. They act like it’s a real gem of a castle with a French chef. But it is actually like a large interesting home wth a lot of cheap looking do-it-yourself finish out, and probably a self taught cook who happens to be French.

They oversell themselves as something they’re not. It’s as if they assume their patrons are all uncultured and won’t notice that it’s not a nice “castle” and certainly not good food.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
flmoyet, Manager at The Henderson Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hello, I apologize for your poor experience with us. However, I do appreciate your feedback as we work to improve our events every year. Thank you for your feedback.

All reviews
"fresh fruit"
"anniversary trip"
"service was great"

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Me and my husband’s stay at Henderson Castle, June 9, 2018. We went to celebrate our 30 anniversary and we were so disappointed. My story begins at the check in process. The person checking us in wanted us to sign a piece of paper that she read us the B & B policy before she read us the policy. We go up to our bedroom and on our bed are 2 pairs of slippers – there is a card explaining if we take the protective covering off the slippers they were ours for 5.99 (or so). The card also explained we would have 2 robes in our room for our use. Looking around the room, no robes. In the bathroom we check out the shower and there is another note explaining it’s a 13 head shower. The owner had rheumatoid arthritis and the water was helpful. But the shower is no longer working because of broken pipes. What no shower in the room? So, we went down stairs to ask about the robes. Counter person tells us they are out of robes. At a bed and breakfast? Went back to our room and I was taking pictures of everything. Noticed the rugs did not look like they had been vacuumed in the living area nor the bathroom. Not too happy. During my picture taking of the chandelier noticed spider webs way up at the ceiling. Maybe they were too high to get? We had the turret room and we are checking out the view. My husband noticed there is a black bag of garbage outside our window which is the roof to the porch. Showing it to me we now notice there is a broom and hose out there too. Whoever worked on the roof must have left some stuff up there? It is now dinner time – and we asked to see their menu, they give a tablet to look at (kind of cool) and they told us with the room we would get a 20.00 gift certificate for our meal. But everything was 80.00 dollar and plus. No thank you. We went to a nice Mexican restaurant and both ate and with the tip for under 20.00. We get back to the B & B and that is when the fire alarm starts going off. After the 3rd time a fire truck shows up. All false alarms. I think it went off 2 more times. At this point I decide to complain to the manager. And she listened very nicely to me and she said would see what she could do. I did explain I wanted to come on our 25th anniversary but they were booked so I had waited 5 years to come. I was not a happy camper. So back to my room. We go to use the jacuzzi tub, there is no drain stopper you have to use this round Rubbermaid like disc to keep the water in. My husband had to hold it because there was not enough water in the tub to hold by itself. Uggh. The jacuzzi was nice and both of us got to use it. I had to take my bath in there and wash my hair. Did I mention I hate taking a bath? After we got out of the tub and laying around the room the house manager brings us desert and champagne (we don’t drink) oh but she had non-alcoholic champagne. We declined the beverage but took the deserts. They were very good. About 10 o’clock we have a knock at our door but we did not answer it as we were in bed already. The bed is awesome. The air conditioner barely can keep the room cool enough. We survived. In the morning we get ready to go down to breakfast and when we opened the door there are 2 robes on the door handles. How nice we are dressed and ready to get our breakfast. Oh, the robes do not have any ties. So, we go down to breakfast and find out that with our room we can get scrambled eggs and toast or oatmeal and cereal. If we wanted anything extra like bacon that would be extra. Hhmm. They gave us the tablet menu (only 1) so we had to take turns. We decided to go with what came with the room. Our waitress told us where the drinks were and I asked if they had apple juice. She said she would check. I had to ask what she found out, the apple jusice was warm, so I guess I’m having orange juice. The breakfast was so-so. Got a croissant – no butter, got toast with my runny eggs and had to asked for butter. After we were done with our meal our waitress brought us the black book. It explained the value of our meal and if we had excellent service we should tip XX.XX and so forth. Who tips at a B & B? I had to run upstairs to get some money (we like to pay with cash) because who brings down their purse to breakfast? We could not get out of there fast enough. There were many other things that irritated us but this is getting pretty long. They had an envelope for housekeeping for a tip too. I left them a list of what should be cleaned in the room. I did get a call from a lady on Monday wanting to know about our stay. So, I told her all of these things. She did offer us a free night stay but I felt that we would not be treated well because we were “those people” that complained. She said she didn’t know what else she could do for us. I suggested maybe something off the room that we already paid for. And she did not reply to that. I guess they got our money and they were done with us. For being such a highly rated B & B I would not recommend it to anyone. The house itself was beautiful just not ran very well.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Hello, I sincerely apologize for your poor experience with us. Thank you for being patient with us and giving us valuable feedback. I am sorry that your stay was not as you expected and hope to serve you better in the future as we work to improve with every comment we receive.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went to Mother’s Day Brunch this year. Not only did we have bad service, but the food was just OK. For three people and drinks the total price tag was over $300. This experience was not worth half that.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Hello, thank you for your feedback as this was our first event of this kind and plan to make this event better in the future. I apologize for your poor experience with us.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My fiancée and I went to this place in late May of 2018 and stayed in the Italian Suite. It was very nice accommodations with the room , the

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Hello, I appreciate your feedback and would like to hear more about your stay with us.