Clarion Hotel
Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port(Portland)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
The Francis(Portland)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsroom was cleanold portfront desk staffpool and hot tubomeletconvenient locationshuttle servicefree shuttlecoffee makercookiesdowntownamtrakmainesurgeryproximity
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Although this establishment had posted notices that it was under construction/remodeling, that was no excuse for the poor quality of product and services that I experienced during my stay.

The room that I stayed in was in such poor condition, I would rate it as unusable, one of the worst rooms I've ever spent the night in. The carpets smelled, the curtains were layered with tape on the outside to cover holes from wear, the bathroom door had tape over the door stopper that protects the tub from the door opening, the toilet sat so low that you fell into it, there was no TV guide in the room. We found literally 1/4 and 1/3 toilet paper on the two roll dispenser. We asked housekeeping for two rolls explaining what we found, she brought one.

I ordered room service @ 10 minutes to close of ordering per the in-room menu, I was told that they were closing for the night so no food could be made or delivered.. I asked if I should call the front desk and she became helpful and took my order. It arrived short in quality and quantity but in reasonable time.

The facility I'm told has 150 rooms but only had one working elevator, let alone the inconvenience of having to walk 7/8 of the building from the front desk to get to the elevator to get to the 3rd. fl. with our luggage, it was filthy with stained carpets and slow. I wonder what your liability would be in case of an emergency!

The front desk staff wore t shirts and sweats, no uniforms and seemed inattentive @ check-in.and check-out.

Room Tip: I don't think they have a good room.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
MFAPGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

You mentioned that the hotel is tired. I am excited to say that as we near the end of our spring renovation I am very pleased with the results. The entire hotel has an improved look and feel. I have shared your comments regarding housekeeping and F&B service with the department heads for immediate follow-up.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Booked 2 nights on Clarion hotel through Priceline, but it did turn on to be the worst experience that I ever had. When I arrived to check in there was a lot of guest on the front desk complaining about outdated rooms and the fact that the rooms did not have king size beds. After I did check in, I went to see my room. The room was nasty, outdated, dirty and he had 2 beds instead of 1 king size bed. After that I went downstairs to see if the front desk could switch me to another room. She said that the hotel was oversold and they did not have anything available. I asked her to cancel my booking while I was not getting what I paid for, but she refused by saying only Priceline can cancel. I did call Priceline to see if they could help me, but they said that the hotel is giving them hard time with the cancellation. I went to confront the girl on the front desk again to see why she was lying to me. She said that Priceline was lying to me and they are a scam. This was not true because I never had any problem with Priceline regarding my reservations that I have been making with them. After that the girl on the front desk did find another excuse for the cancellation. She stated that she could not cancel it because she didn’t have the password needed for the cancellation. The only one who had it was the manager who was not there at the moment. After that we did call the corporate to see if they could help us. As soon as the front desk realized that we were calling, they did call us saying that they did find the password for the cancellation (which was a bug lie). The hotel and the employees are a big SCAM. I was freaking paying for the service and I was not getting the room for free. If you cannot offer me whatever you describe on Priceline that makes you guys SCAMMERS.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank Julind1
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Never stay at this hotel! Very dirty.
Curtains had what appeared to be blood on them when we opened them.
Someone else’s hair everywhere - bathtub, drawers, you name it. Along with dirt..

Moldy shower curtain . Disgusting dresser and desktop dirt..awful !
Maid service worst I have seen in my life. And I have traveled all over.
Hands down, worst service ever.
Did not replace even one coffee or coffee cup during our Friday to Sunday stay!

And the housekeeping staff was very loud from early morning throughout the day.
We thought it might be young guests, but we observed and it was maids and other service staff! They were rude as well.
They sure were not busy cleaning !!

We didn’t even DARE touch the elevator buttons; the whole entire building was that filthy, everywhere you looked.
Horrible experience.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2018

Stayed here two nights 23 and 24 March, to attend the Portland Flower Show. Although the hotel indicated it was currently undergoing renovation, the appearance and quality of the hotel are way below the Clarion standard. I didn't realize that it had been given a rating of 3 stars, (until I am writing this review) but that seems appropriate now in retrospect. The shear curtain in the room was broken and left hanging, the shades on the windows did not close (real bright sun early morning annoying), the bathroom was small as a postage stamp, and the décor was very unappealing. We will not be staying at this hotel on our anticipated return to Portland.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert G
Reviewed 18 March 2018

I visit Portland Maine frequently, and had previously stayed at the Clarion Hotel, which I found to be barely acceptable, but centrally located and less expensive than other nearby options. On this trip, I arrived at the Hotel on the afternoon of March 12th to check in for what was to be a 5-night stay. I was startled to hear the guest clerk tell me that I was booked into a “poolside” room. I had definitely not requested such a room.

The clerk was unable to move me to a different room because the hotel was fully booked due to an impending blizzard. I felt I had no choice but to accept it and hope for the best. My experience of the night I spent in that room was the worst I have ever had in a hotel. The room was like a dungeon, and stank of chlorine. There were no windows to the outside, only to the pool. I was barely able to sleep; my eyes were burning, my throat hurt, and I coughed throughout the night. I finally did doze off, but was awakened by the fluorescent pool lights shining in over the transom as they were turned on at 5 AM.

After waking, I immediately packed my bags to get out of there, willing to drive through the blinding snow just to get away. I was very fortunate to find an available room at Embassy Suites for only $35 dollars more than I was paying at the Clarion. My suite was spacious, light, bright, lovely - and a buffet breakfast was included in the room price.

I don’t know how the Clarion management (Choice Hotels) can expect a human being to stay in an unventilated room full of chemical fumes and odors – and then pay for the privilege. I would not recommend this hotel, but if you do select it, make sure you are not booked into a "poolside room." Better yet, go someplace else.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business