“Wife from Texas Taught how to eat crawfish”

Port Side Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Saint Rose
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Drove in from San Antonio Texas checked into Hotel outside of New Orleans. Looked up under TripAdvisor saw that this restaurant was rated #1. So we visited. Pat our waitress attended to us we mention we were from Texas what did she recommend? She started off by recommending the homemade onion rings the gumbo and the shrimp poor boys. We asked her to stop right there and we would take one order of onion rings 1 chicken and sausage gumbo one seafood gumbo and a shrimp poor boy cut in half.
First we got the gumbo, mine was the chicken and sausage and it was simply delicious my wife had the shrimp gumbo it was also delicious. Then we got the onion rings which were light crispy and Simply Delicious with a special homemade dipping sauce. And last we received the shrimp poor boy which had plenty of shrimp and also very very delicious.
Then to our surprise our waitress Pat came with a bowl of freshly boiled crawfish. She asked if you Texans knew how to eat crawfish from Louisiana? Of course my wife said no , so Miss Pat offered to show my wife how to eat crawfish. And to her surprise and my wife she learned pretty quick and was surprised on how good they were! We don't know of any other restaurants who would go out of their way to show someone how to eat a native food here in Louisiana like crawfish. Big kudos to our waitress Pat! Next time and every time we eat crawfish she will definitely come to mine thank you Miss Pat!

Reviewed 20 May 2017

Our group of 10 adults was also referred here after visiting the Destrehan Plantation up the road. We needed a quick bite before heading back to New Orleans. We arrived just after 1:00 and were a little concerned our large party might overwhelm the staff. Boy were we wrong.

Donna got us set up at a table right away with ice teas and local beers. Starting with the fried onion rings with cajun dipping sauce we all began to eat with more gusto than expected. The orders in our party ranged across the menu: huge muffaletta, gumbo, shrimp and corn soup, fried oysters, club sandwich to juicy hamburger. All of it was out together hot and tasty.

Don't judge this book by its cover - we had a meal better than the Top Chef tavern we visited the day before.

1  Thank Laurie M
Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

Hubby & I are new to this area. We were wanting a seafood restaurant, so I did an internet search. This place has great reviews, so we typed the address into the GPS & headed out. It has a tiny parking lot & it ain't no pretty looking place. There's nothing fancy about it at all, but that made it that much more appealing to us. It's a shorts & tee shirt kind of place where you can be comfortable while eating your decently priced, utterly delicious food. Hubby loves his seafood & it's rare for everything to be just to his specifications, but this place nailed it. He wiped out every bite on his plate & told me several times on the way back that we needed to return to Port Side. I was quite pleased with my full tummy, too, so I have no doubt that we'll be back.

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We were referred to the Port Side from the Plantation up the road. From the outside we may have never stopped, but I'm so glad we did.
The gumbo was great and the service reminded me of home.
You should stop if you're​ in the area!

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

The food is wonderful, the staff is awesome, love, love, love that place!
Super friendly people, laid back atmosphere, and the food, WOW!