“Greg knows how to find and catch fish”

Fly Water Expeditions
Reviewed 25 December 2014

I have now fished several times with Greg, the last being in August 2014 out of Venice. All I can say is Whoa!!!!! As someone mentioned, Greg does provide some strong instruction, but I did not find it rude and you can always tell Greg slow up. On the other side of the coin, if you want to have the chance to catch 50 Redfish between 18 and 35 lbs in one day, go fish with Greg. Greg knows the whole area around New Orleans including from Breton Sound down to Venice. We stayed in the French quarter and Greg picked us up each morning. We got to eat and drink at great restaurants and bars and then go do some world class Redfish fishing. My fishing Partner and I cant wait to do this again!

1  Thank Gu P
Reviewed 24 March 2014

After calling Greg at almost 9pm on Thursday, I was able to book a full-day trip with Jim Dietz on Friday, March 21, 2014. We had a blast and caught several big (10-13 lb) redfish. broke off one more (on 20 pound leader) that was MUCH larger.

Jim is a great guide (Flywater employs several) and can put you on fish in South Louisiana. He is not aggressive with casting advice, but can offer pointers. He is also glad to accept feedback and adapt to the angler's needs (for instance when I asked him to try to position me for casts to the left to accommodate my casting preference.)

A few notes on Jim (this may not pertain to all of Flywater's guides):
* he is gregarious and will carry conversation while guiding. this is in contrast to some guides who are mostly silent during long stretches of poling and looking for fish.
* he carries both fly and spin gear if you'd rather cast using conventional tackle
* he carries & likes to use a boga grip for weighing fish. Redfish are hardy fish and this probably doesn't hurt them, but if you're accustomed to the delicacy of new catch-and-release tactics used for bonefish, tarpon, etc, this is a bit of a surprise.

Overall I had a blast and will certainly use Jim and Flywater again!

4  Thank mdnicley
Reviewed 11 May 2013

If you don't want a condescending, patronizing guide don't use Greg Dini. He clearly is an experienced guide but expects you to be as good as him, criticizing your every cast without instruction. If you want to have fun flyfishing and learn something find another guide. He would be horrible instructing kids.

17  Thank djsiambanes