“Wonderful people with a passion for history”

Destrehan Plantation
Book In Advance
More Info
US$125.00*
and up
Destrehan Plantation and 16 Passenger Airboat...
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed 22 February 2018

The staff and historians at the plantation were very helpful and passionate about this time. It was a great tour both my 13 and 14 year old girls enjoyed as well.

All reviews
"step back in time"
"answer questions"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 21 February 2018

My husband and I took a tour of Destrehan Plantation on 2/14. Being one of the older plantations, it was kept up very well. We had a knowledgeable guide who gave us an informative tour about the plantation and slavery. I liked this plantation because they kept the older, authentic, not so fancy furniture in the house. Another plus is they have an original document signed by Thomas Jefferson that you can view while there also.

1  Thank StephG8787
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Jeanette was our tour guide. Information she provided was very interesting and did a great job. Enjoyed learning about the Destrehan Plantation.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Friendly and knowledgeable tour guide whose presentation really brought you into the life on this plantation.
Excellent restoration of historical settings.
I only wish we could have seen some of the live demonstrations.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

If you are in NOLA and have time for only one plantation, I would choose this one. It’s a very good combination of history, slave life, plantation owner life, good view of the house and other buildings and slave quarters and a lot of great information. And it’s one of the closest ones to New Orleans (I think) Some plantations focus more on the slave life and some completely ignore it only focusing on the main house and it’s people and furnishings. We have visited many and found this one to be the best balance. We drove , about 30 minutes I think. There’s no restaurant on site and we had no reservations for the tour, just bought one on the spot. I would very very highly recommend this tour and this plantation.

3  Thank Bingitt