Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from US$145.00
from US$102.00
from US$89.00
More Info
All reviews thomas jefferson our tour guide gift shop historical society jefferson room the main house period costume new orleans river road explore the grounds slave quarters great tour louisiana purchase spanish moss live oak trees louisiana history oak alley
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

If you are in NOLA and have time for only one plantation, I would choose this one. It’s a very good combination of history, slave life, plantation owner life, good view of the house and other buildings and slave quarters and a lot of great information. And it’s one of the closest ones to New Orleans (I think) Some plantations focus more on the slave life and some completely ignore it only focusing on the main house and it’s people and furnishings. We have visited many and found this one to be the best balance. We drove , about 30 minutes I think. There’s no restaurant on site and we had no reservations for the tour, just bought one on the spot. I would very very highly recommend this tour and this plantation.

Date of experience: February 2018
3  Thank Bingitt
Reviewed 1 February 2018

Our docent, Frank, was amazing! His knowledge of the history of the Destrehan Plantation and the local, national, and international influences on it, were fascinating and enlightening.

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed 17 January 2018

I've seen lots of plantations in my life, and there was really nothing to make this one stand out. There are some beautiful live oaks on the property. The tour was just average, and I felt like we overpaid for the tour. There was really no "new" information we learned on the tour, based on previous tours of other plantations. The tour guide was just average. The house is a lot smaller than it looks, and if you know anything about plantation life, the out buildings on the property have no new information to offer you. The most interesting thing on the property was an inventory of the slaves, their names, and their values.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Visite à faire. Ancienne plantation de canne à sucre et d'indigo. Le monument est très bien restauré et la visite guidée est très intéressante et instructive (et effrayante parfois). Un grand merci à notre guide, Beverly, très sympathique et un livre ouvert sur l'histoire de la plantation !
A visit to make. Old plantation of sugar cane and indigo. The monument is very well restored and the guided tour is very interesting and informative (and scary sometimes). A big thank you to our guide, Beverly, very friendly and who knows a lot about the plantation!

Date of experience: December 2017
1  Thank amandine_LeDahu
Reviewed 9 January 2018

My boyfriend and I visited Destrahan Plantation and had a phenomenal tour! Its a beautiful plantation with a ton of history that many will be surprised about and not know about. We had an amazing guide dressed in period piece named Yvonne who was so knowledgeable and with a great love of history to take us on our tour. We learned so much! After the tour we walked around the other buildings of the plantation that she recommended for a visit and we met Linda in the 1811 Uprising Museum and she explained more history to us of that time on the plantation. I highly recommend a visit to Destrahan. Sometimes the lesser known plantations are the best to visit!

Date of experience: January 2018