“Amazing location even more amazing tour guide”

Destrehan Plantation
US$102.00*
Destrehan Plantation and Swamp Tour Combo
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Well I had the most amazing tour I have ever been on today. The house and grounds are absolutely stunning but the tour guide made my day and possibly my trip. Beverly was sweet, knowledgeable, entertaining and amazing. I wish I could have taken her along for the rest of my tours while in Louisiana. I will be recommending this plantation over all the others I've seen by far.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

It is a shame that LA doesn't offer a guide to the plantations of the area! After lots of research, we created our own driving tour of the area, beginning at Destrehan with the ladies at the St Charles Parish Tourist Info Center which is located in the store at Destrehan. They provided a list with milemarker guides to local plantations and we picked up some trinkets to remember Destrehan as well. One thing to note before visiting the plantations is that there are a LOT of choices and you have to base which one you choose on the aspect of plantation life / Louisiana history that you wish to focus on - from slavery at Whitney to the history of the Creoles at Laura, there are plantations with focus on different areas, different time periods and different aspects of history. The ladies at the Destrehan will help plan a route and make recommendations. Aside from Destrehan, Laura and Oak Alley are the most focused on history, Whitney focuses on slavery, and St Joseph and Evergreen offer tours as well, although they are less commercialized than the others. Some of the plantations down River Rd are now private residences and honestly sometimes it's hard to tell a plantation "big house" from another house in the area, but with the guide and wikipedia a great day is planned down the river road!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Learned from this tour what was grown, how owners, freemen and slaves lived, the differences between Louisiana's "Civic Law" (Napoleonic) and the British Common Law that the rest of America's laws were based, especially as they applied to slavery.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

What in incredible place of history. We had a very knowledgeable guide, and he took us back in time.

Reviewed 27 July 2017

We decided to visit Destrehan since it was the closest plantation to New Orleans and so perfect for a half-day visit. It was a very good tour, especially with the chance to see the bousillage demonstrations and one of the oldest surviving plantation houses. I would have liked to have seen a few other houses as well but time did not permit.