“So much History ”

US$150.00*
Small-Group Airboat Swamp Adventure and Plantation Tour from New Orleans
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

What in incredible place of history. We had a very knowledgeable guide, and he took us back in time.

Reviewed 27 July 2017

We decided to visit Destrehan since it was the closest plantation to New Orleans and so perfect for a half-day visit. It was a very good tour, especially with the chance to see the bousillage demonstrations and one of the oldest surviving plantation houses. I would have liked to have seen a few other houses as well but time did not permit.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We had the privilege of having a private tour with Beverly, who was so dedicated and told us all about the Dehestrian history. The tour gives you more insight of the "value" of a human being, and the upside and downside of the plantations in general. Top!!

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

It's should be on the to do list for a visit to New Orleans to visit one of the plantations, from my understanding only about 7 or so left so get in while they are still around.

Included in your visit to Destrehan is a tour and they give you a great background on the family visit of the Plantation as well as the slavery on the plantation.

Having not seen the other plantations in the area I think this one would be a good choice, it's located about 30 - 40 minutes outside New Orleans.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

I wanted to love this place. The grounds are beautiful. The people in the welcome center are lovely. The house is reconstructed in such a way that it is reminiscent of pre-Civil War times.

Now, you may be asking, why not give four or five stars? Because (a) I can't give a half star and (b) how the plantation handled slavery. The guided tour either ignored the realities of slavery or made jokes about it. While I suppose I should have expected a plantation in the south to gloss over the horrors of slavery, our guide literally made jokes and seemed ambivalent about this dark time in our nations history. Our guide actually said something along the lines of the enslaved people not having too badly because they were paid...Excuse me?!?

Again, lovely location, very close to New Orleans, BUT if you want a real historical tour, go to the Whitney Plantation.