“Nice plantation visit”

US$150.00*
Small-Group Airboat Swamp Adventure and Plantation Tour from New Orleans
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

It's should be on the to do list for a visit to New Orleans to visit one of the plantations, from my understanding only about 7 or so left so get in while they are still around.

Included in your visit to Destrehan is a tour and they give you a great background on the family visit of the Plantation as well as the slavery on the plantation.

Having not seen the other plantations in the area I think this one would be a good choice, it's located about 30 - 40 minutes outside New Orleans.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

I wanted to love this place. The grounds are beautiful. The people in the welcome center are lovely. The house is reconstructed in such a way that it is reminiscent of pre-Civil War times.

Now, you may be asking, why not give four or five stars? Because (a) I can't give a half star and (b) how the plantation handled slavery. The guided tour either ignored the realities of slavery or made jokes about it. While I suppose I should have expected a plantation in the south to gloss over the horrors of slavery, our guide literally made jokes and seemed ambivalent about this dark time in our nations history. Our guide actually said something along the lines of the enslaved people not having too badly because they were paid...Excuse me?!?

Again, lovely location, very close to New Orleans, BUT if you want a real historical tour, go to the Whitney Plantation.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

I have visited Destrehan Plantation three times in the past 10 years because I love the history of the plantation and it's beautiful grounds. The tour guides are very knowledgeable and and give you fun facts a well. I highly recommend that you tour this plantation, as well as other plantations on River Road in Louisiana. You can set up a tour of several plantations from any hotel in New Orleans or hope on the I-10 and take the I-310 exit. They are 30 - 45 minutes away.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Really enjoyed the tour of Destrehan Plantation. Tour guide was knowledgeable about the history of the Destrehan family. We learned that French Creole plantations "treated" the enslaved differently than American Southern plantations (did). Enslaved had work schedules that gave them time off and regular work hours but enslaved nonetheless. Be sure to visit building that houses historical information on the 1811 German Coast Uprising.

Reviewed 17 July 2017

Do not leave New Orleans without seeing a plantation. Destrehan is manageable in a 1-3 hour tour window. The staff are extremely pleasant and the docent tour guides are outstanding. "Frank", in period costume, greeted us in French and gave us an absolutely tour-de-force explanation of why Louisiana is so utterly different than any other state in the Union. Frank didn't sugar coat (no pun intended) the history of both the plantation and the larger society of that time, built as it was on well-understood social class divisions and slave labor. This plantation is in easy reach of both the airport and downtown NOLA; we took Lyft out and back and had no trouble