“So much history and such a nice tour!”

Destrehan Plantation
Book In Advance
More Info
US$125.00*
and up
Destrehan Plantation and 16 Passenger Airboat...
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed 21 July 2017

I have visited Destrehan Plantation three times in the past 10 years because I love the history of the plantation and it's beautiful grounds. The tour guides are very knowledgeable and and give you fun facts a well. I highly recommend that you tour this plantation, as well as other plantations on River Road in Louisiana. You can set up a tour of several plantations from any hotel in New Orleans or hope on the I-10 and take the I-310 exit. They are 30 - 45 minutes away.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"sugar cane"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Really enjoyed the tour of Destrehan Plantation. Tour guide was knowledgeable about the history of the Destrehan family. We learned that French Creole plantations "treated" the enslaved differently than American Southern plantations (did). Enslaved had work schedules that gave them time off and regular work hours but enslaved nonetheless. Be sure to visit building that houses historical information on the 1811 German Coast Uprising.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

Destrehan was an amazing place to visit. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable about the Destrehans and the plantation history. After the tour of the house we had some time to explore the grounds on our own. There wasn't enough time to fully explore the grounds as we booked the tour through GrayLine and we had a schedule to keep.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

I have read so much and seen so many movies about colonial plantations and the enslaved people that worked them. When we went to New Orleans I knew we should take at least one plantation tour. There are many options around New Orleans but I am glad we chose this one. Our tour guide Emma was very knowledgeable about the history of not only the house and plantation but the entire areas history. It was a fascinating tour and she was the perfect guide. Thank you Emma!

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Destrehan Plantation was closer to New Orleans than some of the others. We did not want to take a long bus ride with a group and spend half the day going to and from. So we drove to Destrehan and it didn't take but 30 minutes or so. The guide we had was very informative about the families who owned the plantation and the time period. I highly recommend.