“deservedly popular restaurant”

Cuisines: European, Australian, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Stopped for lunch whilst driving back to Sydney from Daylesford, Victoria. A very popular spot given it was around 2pm on a mid-week day. Fabulous menu choices, great wine list, friendly and efficient service. Generous servings, lovely coffee. Restaurant views of their vineyards. We would happily return.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Fowles does 2 sittings for lunch. We went on a long week-end and they had a cellar door sale on, so the later session was booked out and we had to go for the early lunch, which was sit down at 11:30 for 11:45 start. I was advised when I booked that we had to vacate the table by 1:30 for the second session. I advised that one of my group was gluten and fructose intolerant. They said that was fine; they could accommodate a few alterations to the menu to suit. We arrived on time and I walked up to request our "Table for 6?". The guy expected that we were blow ins that hadn't booked and he looked nervous and said "Table for 6 without a booking?", so I added "Of course I booked...booking for Sarah". He visibly relaxed, found my booking and advised me to discuss the dietary requirements with our waitress. He reiterated that we had to vacate the table by 1:30. The waitress was brilliant. We were given bread for a starter and my gluten intolerant friend looked a bit sad, but then to her delight, an extra little plate arrived in front of her with some gluten free toast. Even though on the menu the steak says medium rare, we were still asked how we would like it and each person that had it was happy with the outcome. The salmon and trout croquette, was actually a piece of salmon with the trout croquette on the side. My fiance said it was delish. The other meal someone had was the duck. He said it was great. We had ordered 3 bowls of chips to go around and that was plenty. We had a bottle of white wine and a bottle of red wine. I had tried Ladies Who Shoot Their Lunch Pinot Noir before at a pub in Melbourne, so I knew I would like it. I don't remember which white wine we had because I didn't have any of it, but those who did said it was fine.
We had plenty of time to go for dessert after the main. We didn't need to rush at all to be finished and ready to leave the table at 1:30.
The only thing that could have been done better was on my dessert. I had a blackboard special which was vanilla panna cotta. It came with strawberries which had been frozen. If they had been made into a strawberry sauce it would have been much nicer, as they were a bit rubbery.
Afterwards we wandered around the shed out the back where the sale was on. We tasted quite a few different wines and I bought a dozen of something to go in the cellar at home. Happy birthday to me!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

We had breakfast here on Sunday and it was divine! So much food, fast service and it was delicious! I had bacon and eggs with mushrooms and the meal was huge. The coffee was just what we needed on a cold morning!

Reviewed 18 May 2017

I went there for lunch during the week.

It was very quiet.

Ordered a platter, wine and coffee. Food and wine were good, but on the expensive side for what they were. Coffee was too bitter for my taste.

Reviewed 11 May 2017

We've been to Fowles quite a few times for lunches, normally for special occasions and sometimes just for a treat. It is normally, or used to be, the best feed in the Seymour region.
We went there for a birthday lunch. All was good with the entree, for the Arincini balls and aioli are really good. Then the problems started. Pretty well as soon as we had finished our entree our mains came out. This was meet with shock by the family. The waitress offered to take them away, but I reckon they weren't going to make a fresh lunch so I felt we had to take the meals.
The next problem was the duck. I can't recall tasting a meal so void of flavours. The salad didn't have a lot going for it, and the poor duck had nothing to go with it. Just duck. That may be fine for all those duck killers out there, but not for me I'm afraid. I didn't finish that meal, and that's saying a lot.
My wife had a plate of small items and they were okay, but my daughter had a fish dish with a potato salad and that was good.
We also normally have desserts and buy some wines but I was put off giving them any more of my money than I had to after that.
When my wife was paying the bill she brought up the quick turn around of meals. He said he asked the waitress about it, and she said we asked for the meals to come out quick. Wife said no, we said no such thing. The guy then said, oh, it must have been a misunderstanding. Congratulations, you are officially arrogant.
Not even a happy birthday or candle for a table with a birthday person. Poor.
I was going to give it two stars, for the sake of the Arincini balls, but just remembering that arrogant response made me change it to one star.