“BBQ Odyssey #202”

Whatcha Smokin' BBQ + Brew
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Luther
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Description: Whatcha Smokin BBQ+Brew sits along Highway 17 in Luther, Iowa, surrounded by cornfields, in a renovated gas station. Our pitmaster prepares Central Texas-style craft bbq daily and proudly serves you pit to plate. Partnering with Iowa breweries we offer a wide selection of Iowa Craft Beers.
Reviewed 4 April 2021

ALERT: OUR TOP CHOICE IN IOWA. Writing for Food & Wine, David Landsel named Whatcha Smokin' the #1 BBQ restaurant in Iowa. On the strength of its menu from top to bottom, we agree. We laid out $42.80 + tip for lunch here--a half rack of very meaty baby backs, a "Pit Master" plate (6 oz. of the fatty brisket, with sides of baked beans, cheesy potatoes, corn bread and Texas toast), plus a half pound of seasoned fries, a peach cobbler, and 2 refillable soft drinks. We were hungry, but there was still enough food left over for a second meal, so on the grounds of quantity alone, this is good value. Ah, but the brisket with its traditional central Texas rub was the best we have eaten in Iowa-- moist, with well rendered fat, and full of flavor. The ribs were perfect, separating cleanly at the bite; both the hot and mild sauces complemented the meat well. The seasoned fries were well above average, the corn bread excellent, and the beans and cheesy potatoes acceptable as well. Finally, the peach cobbler supplied a nice finish, and it was large enough that we could share it across 2 meals.
We are looking forward to a return visit, preferably on burnt ends Tuesday. Through the grapevine, we are hearing really good things about the burnt ends ...

Date of visit: April 2021
1  Thank jetsly
Write a reviewReviews (80)

Reviewed 28 November 2020

The pork tenderloin is the first thing I try at any smokehouse. this one is one . of the best in Iowa. My initial impression was wow they overcooked it, and it is so Big I wont be able to eat this thing. I cut off the excess meat( it really is doublewide) and proceeded to eat the excess meat piece and it was so tender it was like veal and the taste was over the top. I managed to eat the whole sandwich. This is because I am part pig myself. Seriously, if your a couple of normal folks get an extra bun and split it. We also had their corn bits which were very good too. I haven't tried it yet but my wife loves the beef brisket Bacon and swiss sandwich and brought home their cornbread.

With the Covid Pandemic, I was paying special attention to how the waitstaff was working and was pleased to see that they were sanitizing everything that was brought to the other tables. They are all using PPE like masks and worked the table over well after the customer leaves. All food is served in a take home container. We went in at around 5:30PM on Friday and the seating was in recommended spacing intervals. Great Job ladies. I would say my nonscientific estimate is that the risk is nearly zero here.

The food is excellent and it is well worth the drive to Luther. 5 out of 5

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 9 November 2020

The BBQ is great so be hungry when you arrive! Atmosphere is great too, came in November on a really nice day but would be a great place in the summertime.

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 7 September 2020

My wife and I were visiting a friend near Luther, so we decided to pick up a take-out dinner at the Whatcha Smokin' BBQ on our way back home. Considering the pandemic, they were well organized, though perhaps short of cooks. Hence, we had to wait almost half an hour for our order. We could have sat at tables outside, or tables inside the main building with rolled-up garage doors, OR their air conditioned "Clubhouse." We ordered sausage and brisket plus French fries. All delicious. We especially liked their unique sweet-sour BBQ sauce. Next time (and there WILL be one), we'll order drinks and then sit somewhere till our order is ready, or else order ahead for take-out.

Date of visit: September 2020
2  Thank DMGAmes_Iowa
Reviewed 27 August 2020

Fantastic Food

Everyone needs a little BBQ in their summer. I have had many of their dishes and sides. Everything is good. The oatmeal cream pie is my favorite cookie and could be a favorite meal. Get it to go - or try and score a table. All depends on how much time and space you want. Super yummy, rustic, and filling. You will be happy you took the time to find them. A little ways from Des Moines, but totally worth the trip.

Date of visit: July 2020

Been to Whatcha Smokin' BBQ + Brew? Share your experiences!