All reviews mccormick's creek state park bird feeders sunday buffet buffet line volleyball court nice lounge area nice state park third floor room small room fire ring play cards chain hotels outdoor pool baked potato room key double bed enjoyable stay
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in the deluxe queen. One side of the bed was almost to the wall. Had to squeeze in. No night stand. Small 1960 TV. Two ppl could not walk side by side in the room. We are in our 50’s with not health problems. After the first night are backs were hurting so bad. The pillows were made of air. Luckily we had blankets in the car the next night we used them as pillows. Had the buffet Friday night, awful. Wanted to leave & eat somewhere else Saturday but already paid for the comedian & buffet. Had only salad. They say open bar with the show. Beer & wine when u get there. Poor comedian. The place is small & boring. The pool is nice, but may I suggest walk in stairs. 95% of your guests are over 65. I saw some people who couldn’t get out of the pool without help (sad). Well, it’s Monday after are weekend & I am still having bowel issues from the buffet. This was my only get away this summer as it was the 6th year passing of our son & we always go away to help through our mourning. Don’t try to call family. Had 3 phones with us & NO SERVICE. I wish I had a better experience. Very disappointed!!!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrsg9775
Reviewed 24 July 2018

My wife and I stayed on a Friday night and had a king sized bed room. The exterior of the Inn has a nice historic feel to it, but the inside doesn't match.The room furnishings appeared to be from the 80s as did the TV. There were 16 channels available and none very clear; I suppose most people don't go to a park for TV, but it does rain; as it did the next day. Looking the room we could tell it wasn't vacuumed well and there was a layer of dust here and there around the room. The bathroom also had dated fixtures and was barely big enough to turn around in; I'm not kidding; with a tiny shower. We had to go the lounge area to connect to WIFI and put our phones on the window sill for reception. We had read in Tripadvisor that the dinner buffet at the Inn wasn't good, so we went into town for pizza at Chicago Pizza; don't go there to eat. We had read the breakfast was good, so we picked out what we wanted from the menu in the room and headed to the Inn restaurant when it opened at 7:30 am Saturday morning. The waitress found us a table and said the buffet was ready; we indicated we wanted to order from the menu instead, but were told we couldn't even though the food on the buffet was the same food on the menu. We didn't feel like we could eat $12 dollars worth of breakfast each, so we left and went back to Spencer to eat at Burger King; it was exactly what we expected, no surprises. I think our room was just over $100 with tax and our experience suggests the price should be closer to $75. It costs $7 to get through the gate for in-state $9 for out of state. It could be so nice if the management matched the rooms with the historic feel of the Inn; lots of potential there. If you are looking for a good state park inn experience, go to Clifty Falls, we've always been pleased there. I realize this review seems to be a lot different from the others, but we were looking for more than just a room within a nice park setting. The park and trails are nice, don't get me wrong, but the Inn falls way short, in my opinion. We will not be returning to the Canyon Inn for an overnight stay.

Room tip: Our room was on the first floor on the end near the exit; there was noise from above as expected, but not too bad.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Canyon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

We stayed at the Canyon Inn the week-end of IU Bloomington's students graduation this past May as there was no room available in Bloomington We were very pleased to see that the rooms offer just what is needed for this busy week-end: comfortable bed and quiet at a great price. I never slept that well the first night in an hotel before and I had great nights of sleep for the whole week-end. The breakfast was great as well as the view of the birds and squirrels from the dining room. All staff was very polite and accommodating.The trail with the waterfall makes for great pictures and memories. Only 20 minutes of Bloomington with no traffic. Ideal if you are on a budget and have to attend IU graduation in the future. Just know that being a state park location, they charge $9.00 for the first entry and you just need to show your room key for the rest of your stay. The place is rustic. Don't look for ultra modern amenities. Great option if you are short of choices during graduation week-end. L.Guarino, New Hampshire

Room tip: When you reserve, ask for a room in the renovated section
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Randy R, General Manager at Canyon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Congratulations to the Graduate!
We thank you for staying with us and for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay.
I hope you have the occasion to visit us on another trip to Indiana.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Lovely park. Clean and comfortable. Love the fireplace sitting area. In the evening it was filled with families playing games and doing puzzles and talking. Felt like home. Warm and inviting. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The staff were so kind, pleasant and helpful. The food at breakfast was fine. The usual state park fare. Would visit again in a heartbeat. And do not let your "littles" miss Timmy the Turtle in the tank in the sitting room. Loved him.

Room tip: We had a room overlooking the parking lot. Thought it would be noisy but it was not.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Randy R, General Manager at Canyon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thank you for your review. I was happy to read we made you feel at home.
Again, thank you for sharing your experience. We hope you have the occasion to visit again soon!

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Classic state park lodge amenities and updates. Small and dated rooms but more to enjoy in McCormicks Creek SP. Canyon Inn restaurant is convenient and adequate. Best meal is their breakfast. Enjoy watching the birds and squirels from the windows on the porch.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Canyon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate feedback from our guests.

I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast. Breakfast is a favorite here as many guests enjoy watching the birds from the convenience of dining on the porch.

Again, thank you. We hope you have the occasion to stay with us again.