“Nice setting”
Review of Canyon Inn

Canyon Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Spencer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

The inn is rustic, nice and welcoming. Gets 4 stars for general ambiance and the fact that the room was only 85 a night. Room was tiny but quiet. The air intake ran all night, which I sometimes run anyway for white noise, but I wasn’t sure how to turn it off. Was here for a conference, and loved that our conference was right around the corner. All staff proficient and polite. I am not sure if all IN state park inns are this way, but I did not like the way I had to reserve my room. They run your credit card as soon as you reserve, not just use it to hold the res. Since I was going to be paying with an agency check, I had to work with someone in advance and it was a bit of a pain. All on site staff great though, and our conference was catered by them and they did a super job. Nice location and great park.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Randy R, General Manager at Canyon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Thank you for your review. I was happy to see you enjoyed the park and your stay, but was especially pleased to read your comments regarding our staff. Thank you!
The reservation process at all Indiana State Park Inns does require 1 night deposit in order to reserve a room. I am glad they assisted you at check-in and made the corrections you requested.
Again, I thank you for your comments. I hope you have the occasion to return soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed in room 224, 2 full size beds not queens. Very small room, TV was at a distance and hard to see from one of the beds. The grout in tile in shower was pretty dirty, a good cleaning was needed. The carpet was torn in the middle of the room. The price of the room was too high for what you got. The breakfast buffet was very good and reasonably priced. The park was great and the wedding was a blast. The building is old and at one time was a sanatorium. A lot of history.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I have been to a fair number of state parks and this was the cleanest lodge room we have had. You have to realize this is not a Hampton Inn. But the room was clean, plenty of pillows, and a small but clean bathroom and plenty of towels. Something you see in a lot of the state park inns are those awful bedspreads on the beds that are never cleaned. Not so here. The beds were made up with the white sheet sets with a quilt at the bottom edge of the bed. The furniture in the room was deliberately rustic with log bed frames, log legs on the table, nightstand, and chairs. The TV cabinet (with a tube TV) was trimmed out in the log look too. Room key was an actual room metal key. I haven't seen those for a while. We had a view of the woods from our window. There was not a refrigerator. There was a coffeemaker, always a little skeptical about those, but we preferred the free coffee in the lodge lounge area. The lounge is nice and large with lots of sofas and tables and chairs and we did sit and have coffee there one evening. There was an outdoor pool some guests were enjoying. Staff was friendly and helpful. I've been in some state park inn rooms where I couldn't get comfortable to sit down or walk in because of the feeling that it was not well cleaned but just the opposite feeling here. It was dust free and clean. And the park is great. We walked on 2 trails that were well marked. There was a restaurant that we had lunch and dinner. The dinner buffet was average. Salad bar was well stocked. Main dishes were not my cup of tea. Fried chicken, ribs, pulled meat although I did have some of the pulled meat and it was good. The dessert bar was great. Any kind of pie you could think. Enjoyed the sugar cream pie. We had catfish for lunch and it was good with a baked potato and generous side salad. Not as good as some of the state parks restaurants but you should be able to find something you will like. Room prices are not cheap but you get a lot of amenities of the state park that you would not get in a motel room stay. A very enjoyable stay. I would return.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Location and surroundings beautiful. Reception staff friendly and efficient. We especially liked the restaurant and the Friday night buffet with BBQ ribs, fried chicken and pulled pork. Also ate lunch and enjoyed the fried catfish. Nice lounge area to sit in with puzzles and games.The room - smaller than we're used to in hotels. But the rustic character of the place was unique with rough cut log ends on the beds posts. desk, tables and other furniture.

Stayed: September 2017
Randy R, General Manager at Canyon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thank you for staying at Canyon Inn. We're proud of our Friday night BBQ themed buffet and our ribs. I am glad you enjoyed them.
We hope you have the occasion to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Location and surroundings beautiful. Reception staff friendly and efficient. Can't comment on the food as we didn't use the restaurant. Nice lounge area to sit in with puzzles and games. The pool was gorgeous. The room - smaller than we're used to in hotels and yes it does look a bit dated but that's probably party by design to keep the country retreat character of the place. It could have been a bit cleaner - the coffee maker was actually dusty as were the window blinds. Not gross or disgusting , just not to a high standard. Main issue we had was with the air con - although there is a 'control' unit on the wall you could only turn it up or down, not off which is what we wanted. We did ask for help with it at reception and a very nice chap came and looked at it for us but ultimately was just as clueless as us as to how to stop it coming on and off (VERY loudly) every 10 minutes or so. I wouldn't go as far as to say avoid it but don't set your expectations too high. I thought it was 'ok' but my husband who booked it was rather disappointed with it. I expect most people who stay here choose it for the fabulous location, not the rooms themselves. We didn't have an opportunity to explore the park more than briefly but what we saw was lovely.It's now $9.00 to enter the park but you only pay that on first entry - if you show your room key you don't have to pay each time you go in.

Room Tip: Our room was ground floor so not as small as some others?