“Excellent!”

The Alexander
Ranked #5 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 August 2015 via mobile

We enjoyed a beautiful overnight at The Alexander in Indy. Room was spacious and well appointed with room for an additional chair. Eco-friendly LEED certified facility with wonderful art throughout. Lively bar with craft cocktails and tasty bites. Beautiful city views!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Tyler R, Front Office Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2015

Tiggerlilly51,

We are thrilled to know that The Alexander was able to exceed your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and we look forward to all of your future stays with us!

The Alexander, A Dolce Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,971)

Reviewed 19 August 2015

Ashley K, Jeremy, Steve, and Tyrice were fantastic in helping me set up a surprise night out for my wife for our anniversary. Ashley K arranged room and a surprise Champagne/Strawberries amenity as well as suggesting an art tour and the in hotel bar for entertainment. The drinks and service were great. Jeremy helped get me checked in early so I could get room set up. The facility was clean and atmosphere very friendly and unique. The room was great and a solid night's sleep. Thank you to the entire Alexander crew for a great experience!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Kenny K,

Thank you for such a positive 5 star review! We are delighted to have assisted with your Anniversary and creating such a memorable day. The most exciting part of your review is knowing that so many associates around the hotel impacted your experience in such a way. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 18 August 2015

Can you have three first impressions? If so all were disappointing.
Firstly, the location is far from convenient if you want to access the shops and what passes for the centre of Indianapolis, but fine if you are visiting Lilly Pharmaceuticals (which I was not) - the hotel is on the edge of downtown and hence easily accessible from the Interstate but surrounded by vacant lots that have been taken over for parking.
Secondly the valet parking operative gave me incomplete and erroneous instructions to the self-park car park (maybe he wanted the valet business?).
Thirdly, when I finally got to the second floor reception (at 6.30 pm) after a 350 mile, 7 hour drive I was told my room might not be ready and had to be checked! Excellent service recovery kicked in here however and I was offered a free cocktail of my choosing in the stunning bar (with balcony) while the room was sorted out. I told that all was well before finishing my cocktail so no real foundation for serious complaint.
The staff were, without exception, friendly if a little amateurish and disorganised and the public spaces are really spacious and interestingly decorated with original artworks.
My room was spacious and comfortable and also had a number of interesting features although it could have been cleaner. The bed was comfortable but do not expect stunning views as the rooms look out over the aforementioned car parking lots and several, very busy, railway tracks.
Herein lies one of the problems with the location - it is, externally, quite a noisy area and the external sound proofing as well as that that between the other rooms is very poor. I could clearly hear guests in the rooms to the side and above me and the railway ran constantly with huge freight trains, which were quite interesting to watch for someone who is used to British trains, but they were hooting and rattling all the time (fortunately the essential A/C was even noisier and drowned out some of the other internal and external noises!).
Now to the next impressive element of service recovery during my second day in residence-working at the desk I noticed my polo shirt developed a thick black line across it which had clearly come from the front edge of the desk as I removed a considerable amount of black substance from this edge myself. Thinking I had solved the problem I continued working, in a clean shirt, only to find this one also stained! No more work for me as I was running out of clean clothes by now! Reception promised to see what could be done about getting my shirts cleaned (I was not hopeful as it was a Saturday afternoon by now) and I headed out to an evening meeting having asked that the room be made up as it had, for some reason best known to the housekeeping staff, been unmade all day while all around were noisily cleaned. On my return I was told that it had not been possible to arrange for my shirts to be cleaned but if I wanted to venture out to a local Mall the hotel would pay for a new shirt for me - I really didn't want to spend time travelling to the shops in a strange town either on foot or by car and anyway the room had not been made up either and routine housekeeping had finished for the night (it was past midnight by now). At this point the duty manager was called and offered a satisfactory financial arrangement so a considerable inconvenience was satisfactorily resolved again.
The final day of my stay was, thankfully, uneventful.
None of these issues were deal breakers in themselves but the combination did leave me disappointed as I had really been looking forward to stay here having read some interesting reviews about the "boutique" elements of the place. I would have to think twice about staying here again considering the prices charged in all areas of the hotel. By far and away the biggest issues relate to noise, which will be impossible to resolve without significant structural alteration, and the obviously unfinished staff training that caused some of the problems in the first place but should be easy to resolve.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Tyler R, Front Office Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2015

Waldo54,

Thank you for your time in reviewing The Alexander. I would like to apologize that we did not exceed your overall expectations. We do appreciate the constructive feedback, as we always look for further development to bring us closer to excellence. It is encouraging to read that our associates were able to recover in a way that did exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your time in expressing your Alexander experience.

Reviewed 17 August 2015

This hotel is new, gorgeous, modern and part of a development called CityWay...a walkable, planned neighborhood that has both residential and retail, just a few minutes (walk) from the football stadium and Indy's famed Monument Circle. Three dining options, including Yolk!...a brunch place from Chicago. I have stayed there twice with my husband and toddler. The place is spacious and child-friendly...lots of room to run around. good service, but relaxed and friendly. Easy to get to...easy to self-park or valet. Highly recommend if you are coming to Indy...this place is on par with JW Marriott or Conrad, but it's different...less crowded, quiet, arty, fun.

Room Tip: The rooms are a good size.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family

Lorie D,

On behalf of the Alexander, thank you for taking the time to review your Alexander experience. We are excited to know that we consistently exceed your expectations. We look forward to continue this great relationship through all future visits.

Reviewed 17 August 2015

It is a beautiful hotel. It is downtown near Lucas Oil. You can easily walk to eateries and bars. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so they gave us 2 free cocktails at the bar. Then it took a little longer than expected so they gave us 2 free breakfasts as well. I always say that things happen, we are human. It's how you deal with those mistakes that make you above or below the cut.. The Alexander handled theirs with total professionalism. I applaud them! The bar is very cozy. After our evening out we came back for a cocktail. I'm a non drinker and they had a wide variety of mock tails which were fun to try. They also give you a little bag of popcorn. Flavored water was available 24 hours along with little candies. It's the little things! The staff were super friendly and helpful. I appreciated them. There's a cute little breakfast place called the Yolk which you can get to without going outside if the weather is bad. I think you will enjoy the Alexander for the comfort, style, and above all the people!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Nanna5indiana,

Thank you for all of the kind words regarding your Alexander experience. Your review is such an encouragement towards what we express each and every day. The little aspects and the associates are what make a good hotel truly great. We hope to see you again in the near future and thank you again for the 5 star review.