“Good choices”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Nice food. Varied menu. Good for vegetarians. Quick service. Nice coffee. Serves alcohol. Toilets. Inside and outside tables. Right under the golden statue. Parking.

1  Thank Jo G

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I had lunch here with Australian friends after visiting the Australian War Memorial and Villers-Bretonneux. I know from previous experience that it's quite difficult to find restaurants in the more rural parts of France so I was very pleased to not only find L'Auberge de Fouilloy only a few minutes from the War Memorial, but also discover that the food there was excellent and the waiter was friendly and very helpful. One of my friends chose the steak and the waiter asked how he would like it cooked - not usual in France - and it was done perfectly. I had a chicken dish with a delicious cream sauce flavoured with Calvados. My other friend had pork with a mushroom sauce and the steak was served with pepper sauce. Everything was very fresh and perfectly seasoned. The food was reasonably priced - no set menus because it was a Saturday. I would highly recommend the restaurant to anyone visiting the area.

2  Thank Jahoney
Reviewed 25 August 2016

This restaurant had the French, British and Australian flags flying on poles mounted near the roof and is the first one that you pass when driving downhill, towards the town of Fouilloy (away from Villers-Bretonneux). Lots of off-street parking.
The menu includes the usual value-for-money fixed price 'formula': Euro 12.90 for two-course and Euro 17 for three courses.
There are two smallish dining rooms and was filled with locals when we arrived for lunch.
A reasonable meal was provided - we liked the crème brulee dessert.
Only downside we picked up later was being charged the three-course formula instead of the 2-courses we had.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This auberge is very conveniently located just down the hill from the Australian War Memorial near Villers-Bretonneux in Picardy. We had lunch after visiting the memorial on a grey day in late February this year. Unsurprisingly given the location, kangaroo was on the menu. At first I was reluctant to order this, wondering what cut they would use and how it would be cooked. It was fillet, served rare, as ordered and it was excellent, as was the cassolette of snails ordered by my husband. In fact both 'formules' were very good value. Service was efficient and friendly and judging by the number of local workers on their lunch break, this is not just frequented by visiting Aussies.

1  Thank LizandArthur
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We were visiting WW1 sites on the Somme, and having been held up by road works were badly in need of lunch after 1pm on a chilly Wednesday. Suddenly spotted this little place on a corner - it was just right and still serving. A bright clean interior, cheerfully decorated in white black and red, a friendly host and a very reasonable plat du jour - very tender pork fillet with mushrooms and chips. Entrees also good. Reasonable bottle of red to accompany the food. Everyone else eating at the time was local I think, always a good sign. We can speak some French but the cheerful young waiter also spoke some English
This village is close to the big Australian memorial and not far from Thiepval, which was our destination.

1  Thank hillwandererBrighton