Chicago from the Lake Ltd
Review Highlights
If you only do one thing in Chicago take this tour

This is an incredible tour. It gives a view of Chicago that you'll never get on land. The guide was... read more

Reviewed 30 October 2018
wayne r
Vancouver, Canada
Great night on the boat

Me and a couple of friend went on a night cruise and had a great time the fireworks were just great... read more

Reviewed 9 March 2018
jacquelinec411
Chicago
via mobile

All reviews boat tour land signage explanation architecture guide crew history
Reviewed 25 June 2016

There are many cruises on the Chicago River that focus on architecture. Our hotel concierge recommended Chicago From the Lake and he was not wrong. Very complete, with proper mix of architectural themes and details. Guide knew it all.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed 15 April 2016 via mobile

I took this 90 minute River cruise today. It was a lovely sunny day and being on the water was a treat. I did find 90 minutes to be a bit long, particularly when the discussion was not interactive. The tour guide was clearly knowledgeable however, and free tea and coffee, lemonade, water and cookies were offered.

I will say that it was tricky to find with little signage and I was frustrated to be waiting across from the storefront for the boat when it had docked further up the slip. I stood there for a full 15 minutes before going in to inquire and learning I had been told to wait in the wrong place. There are many other river cruises offered right next to the bridge on N. Michigan Ave.

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed 14 January 2016

There are plenty of boat tours in Chicago but this one is by far the best. Great docents, great boats, great service. Let's face it, just seeing this beautiful city from the water is a joy but to have a docent really explain the origins and evolution of architecture in Chicago really brings the city to life. Known for some of the most profound architectural gems in the world, Chicago became a leader in urban architecture following the great fire. And it still thrives today. And the view of the city out from Lake Michigan is unparalleled. This tour leaves from the ole Ogden Slips on Grand Ave, just before you get to Navy Pier. Make it a must see destination whether you live in the area or visiting.

Date of experience: June 2015
Reviewed 2 November 2015

There is no doubt that Chicago has an iconic, even beautiful sky line, but I had no idea about the fascinating history, and just how different each individual building is until we went on this great river tour.
We took the 90 minute option which takes in each section of the T shaped river frontage.
Our guide was enthusiastic, knowledgeable and engaged.
You'll look at skyscrapers in a different way after this and it is also a great way (along with going to one of the observations towers) for helping to orientate you in this great city.

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed 30 July 2015

The location is a little hard to find for an out-of-towner. I live in Bluffton S.C. It is located just north of the Centennial Fountain at 465 McClurg Ct. The ship is a nice two decker, we found seats on the lower deck in the front of the boat under a covered canopy but since we were in the first row it did not block the view. The boat has bath rooms and food. Starbucks Coffee, Coca-Cola soft drinks, lemonade, muffins and cookies are all complimentary. Cocktails, beer and wine are available. The tour guide is very knowledgeable about the city’s architecture which is the highlight of the cruise. We had a lovely day and the two hour cruise was over before I knew it. I did take more than 100 pictures of the buildings along the river banks. My niece and her boyfriend took more than 200 pictures. The view buildings from the boat were so much better than from the land. The explanation of the architecture in its historical context by the guide made the trip special..

Date of experience: July 2015