“Beautiful museum!”

Ranked #43 of 694 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of America's premier natural history museums, the Field's "Live over Time" exhibit now houses "Sue," the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever discovered.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We are usually not museum people, but my husband has always heard about this museum and wanted to go see it while we were in Chicago. It has lots of interesting stuff from all over the world. There is even an entire "plants from around the world" section at the museum. My biggest complaint (as is with a lot of museums nowadays) is that the $24 general admission doesn't get you into any of the "special exhibitions". Since we had rented a car, we had to pay $25 to park at Soldier Field and then another $48 just to get into the museum front door. That did not include any shows or Imax films nor did it include the "Mummies" exhibit that is right up front. The exhibit looks very interesting, but we just would not pay the extra to see it. We did, however, get to see the lions of Tsavo which was really cool to my husband and I since we love the movie The Ghost and the Darkness.

**Warning: We were there on Memorial Day 2018. We were told that Sue the T-rex would be coming down until April 2019 when they will have a new home for her. Sue is a HUGE draw at this museum, so if you are taking your kiddos to this museum to see Sue between 6/1/18-4/1/19, you will be disappointed.

1  Thank MandyMcCain
Write a ReviewReviews (7,585)
All reviews
in 187 reviews
"shedd aquarium"
in 160 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The Field Museum was interesting for adults and kids both. The mummies and dinosaurs were big hits for the kids, and adults really loved the precious gems exhibit!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent a couple hours visiting the museum. It has all the basics you would look for in this type of museum.

1  Thank vze1en9h8
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a great museum. Tons of information to take in. You can easily spend a whole day here. I advise leaving your little children at home. The information is over their heads and makes it less enjoyable for the parents.