“Great visit”

McWilliam's Hanwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Hanwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in the midst of the unique Australian landscape is the McWilliam's Hanwood Estate Winery. Established in 1917, the winery stands today as a pillar of winemaking excellence dedicated to creating the very best wines.The Hanwood Barrel provides a great setting for a truly memorable wine tasting experience. We invite you to visit the Mc William's Hanwood Estate Cellar Door and sample a selection of the award winning wines (RV friendly parking). Winery Tours: Departing Thursdays 11:45am. Bookings Required Cost: $5 Basic Tour $15 Premium Tour (incl antipasto platter upon conclusion & free glass of wine).
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Sadly visited on the wrong day to do the tour but nevertheless, thanks to Paul, we had an excellent visit. Paul was very knowledgeable and generous with his time. Some fascinating stories of the area and interesting to hear of the connections with my namesake.

Melinda B, Public Relations Manager at McWilliam's Hanwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Hi Winniethepooh126,

Glad that you enjoyed your time at McWilliam's Wines Hanwood Estate. There are a lot of fascinating stories and facts of the area that travelers learn once they visit. Griffith is truly a unique town rich in culture and history that McWilliam's are proud to be a part of.

Hope to see you back again some day.

All reviews
"wineries"
"company"
"australia"

Reviewed 26 April 2018

we arrived not having booked a tour, Paul without a blink said hang on and he had someone step in to the cellar door sales and off we went on an amazing wine experience.
we learnt more about wine making in the next hour than we had ever know.
along the way we tasted straight from the barrels, a Pinot, a chardonnay and a magnificent shiraz. we topped it off with a chardonnay tasting and bought some Barwarwang Chardonnay.
Cant tell you Paul how much we enjoyed your knowledge and enthusiasm.
You are a wonderful asset to your company.

Hi AndrewandSandra,

Great to hear you enjoyed your experience at McWilliam's Wines. The art of winemaking is fascinating and once you learn more, one can appreciate drinking wine just that little bit more.

Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

A great selection of wine presented by a true character. Definitely recommend trying the Chardonnay and the Touriga. Also a great place to take a picnic as there is tables and a grassed area available.

Hi timbudd1990,

Thankyou for your review. McWilliam's are very proud of the fine wines that can be produced from the Riverina. The Touriga is one of our signature wines along side other wines like the Riverina Durif and Vermentino.
Visitors with picnics are always welcome. Shady grassed area under our Giant Morten Bay Fig Tree are a great place for lunch.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

When I arrived in Griffith area (Sunday arvo) I went straight to the cellar door. I was surprised and disappointed to find it closed and not reopening until Wednesday!!! As I was only staying 2 nights I didn't know what to do. Arrived at the Caravan Park where I had booked a cabin and commented that I would only stay 1 night because the very reason I was visiting Griffith was primarily to visit McWilliams. The proprietor said she knew the manager and would call him to see what he could do. I got a message back 20 minutes later to say that I could ring him tomorrow and he would open just for me!!
So, next day I arranged a time to meet at the cellar door and there was Paul Richardson waiting for me.
Having been a Mount Pleasant decades long fan of the Hunter wines, I was really curious to see what was being produced at Hanwood. I wasn't disappointed. All my favourite Tumbarumba and Hilltops wines (sans the label I liked - another story) were there plus an array of labels I hadn't seen before.
Paul had a comprehensive knowledge of McWilliams wines as I would expect, plus given his long involvement in the industry, an excellent knowledge of the industry in general over the years.
I was also given a tour of the plant which was fascinating.
Overall I spent nearly 2 hours talking to Paul, did taste a couple of wines only, but seeing I was driving and being on McWilliams mailing lists for a few years, there was no need for a full tasting experience.
Whilst Griffith as a town is worth seeing once in a lifetime, it is the Hanwood winery that will lure me back before too long.
A big thank you to Paul!

Hi Nukle,

Glad your trip to Griffith was made worthwhile after your visit to McWilliam's Wines. McWilliam's Wines Hanwood Estate is one of many things to do in Griffith and many travelers, like yourself, are highly surprised of what Griffith and the region has to offer and the quality of wines that are produced from this area.

Happy travels and hope to see you again.