Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Enjoyable Visit

Excellent staff, knowledgeable and friendly. Recommended the antipasto plate and glass of... read more

Reviewed 20 October 2018
francislehman
Melbourne, Australia
Great afternoon out, superb wines, great location, great host.

We arrived at the winery last Sunday, the only 2 people there!. Such a beautiful location. Paul... read more

Reviewed 19 October 2018
Brian A
Melbourne, Australia

All reviews cellar door tasting experience antipasto plate fantastic wine interesting architecture wine tasting mcwilliams griffith winery knowledge shiraz wineries tour company visitors australia
Reviewed 26 April 2018

we arrived not having booked a tour, Paul without a blink said hang on and he had someone step in to the cellar door sales and off we went on an amazing wine experience.
we learnt more about wine making in the next hour than we had ever know.
along the way we tasted straight from the barrels, a Pinot, a chardonnay and a magnificent shiraz. we topped it off with a chardonnay tasting and bought some Barwarwang Chardonnay.
Cant tell you Paul how much we enjoyed your knowledge and enthusiasm.
You are a wonderful asset to your company.

Date of experience: April 2018
Melinda B, Public Relations Manager at McWilliam's Hanwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Hi AndrewandSandra,

Great to hear you enjoyed your experience at McWilliam's Wines. The art of winemaking is fascinating and once you learn more, one can appreciate drinking wine just that little bit more.

Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

A great selection of wine presented by a true character. Definitely recommend trying the Chardonnay and the Touriga. Also a great place to take a picnic as there is tables and a grassed area available.

Hi timbudd1990,

Thankyou for your review. McWilliam's are very proud of the fine wines that can be produced from the Riverina. The Touriga is one of our signature wines along side other wines like the Riverina Durif and Vermentino.
Visitors with picnics are always welcome. Shady grassed area under our Giant Morten Bay Fig Tree are a great place for lunch.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

When I arrived in Griffith area (Sunday arvo) I went straight to the cellar door. I was surprised and disappointed to find it closed and not reopening until Wednesday!!! As I was only staying 2 nights I didn't know what to do. Arrived at the Caravan Park where I had booked a cabin and commented that I would only stay 1 night because the very reason I was visiting Griffith was primarily to visit McWilliams. The proprietor said she knew the manager and would call him to see what he could do. I got a message back 20 minutes later to say that I could ring him tomorrow and he would open just for me!!
So, next day I arranged a time to meet at the cellar door and there was Paul Richardson waiting for me.
Having been a Mount Pleasant decades long fan of the Hunter wines, I was really curious to see what was being produced at Hanwood. I wasn't disappointed. All my favourite Tumbarumba and Hilltops wines (sans the label I liked - another story) were there plus an array of labels I hadn't seen before.
Paul had a comprehensive knowledge of McWilliams wines as I would expect, plus given his long involvement in the industry, an excellent knowledge of the industry in general over the years.
I was also given a tour of the plant which was fascinating.
Overall I spent nearly 2 hours talking to Paul, did taste a couple of wines only, but seeing I was driving and being on McWilliams mailing lists for a few years, there was no need for a full tasting experience.
Whilst Griffith as a town is worth seeing once in a lifetime, it is the Hanwood winery that will lure me back before too long.
A big thank you to Paul!

Hi Nukle,

Glad your trip to Griffith was made worthwhile after your visit to McWilliam's Wines. McWilliam's Wines Hanwood Estate is one of many things to do in Griffith and many travelers, like yourself, are highly surprised of what Griffith and the region has to offer and the quality of wines that are produced from this area.

Happy travels and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Today we went to the McWilliam just to spent some time but we ended up having a fantastic evening. Paul made our visit special with his knowledge and enthusiasm. If you can take a time to do the winery tour.

Hi Gabriela C,

A winery tour is a great way to see the workings behind one of Australia's most iconic brands. McWilliam's Wines Hanwood Estate is the first winery established in the Griffith region and still has one of the oldest living vines planted here in 1913. This vine is of the rare and unique things that you will get to see on one of our tours.

Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We visited as a group of 5 and had a wonderful time with Paul, who was super knowledgeable and friendly. We tried a wonderful variety of wines and also bought some special bottles home. Would definitely recommend!

Date of experience: March 2018
Melinda B, Public Relations Manager at McWilliam's Hanwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Hi Kelly Z,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your visit at McWilliam's Wines Hanwood Estate. If you visit the region again, we hope to see you then.