Hotels.com
Snaptravel
Expedia
ZenHotels.com
2,079 results
All reviews the grand dining room crane cottage sans souci historic hotel step back in time main building jekyll island club san souci croquet lawn the cottages front lawn wharf restaurant federal reserve southern charm no elevator beautiful grounds spanish moss
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 November 2021 via mobile

We had a great time both times we went with our daughters, high school age. Renting bikes and biking around the island is the primary reason for the 5 stars. And the turtle hospital. The museum is well done too.
Everything else was okay; not a lot of food choices; and we did not swim at the beach. The water is polluted.
If the rest of the time there was nothing t so fun, it would get 3 stars for the cost of staying in Annex and the cleanliness of the bathrooms, specifically the showers. They need to scrub them down a lot.

Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Douglas Rucker, General Manager at Jekyll Island Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2021

Thank you Irene! We are glad you and your daughters enjoyed your time on Jekyll Island. We have made note of your comments about the rate and have made housekeeping aware of your review. The water is safe to swim in during the summer. It is a darker color due to the rivers in our area. The water is actually very nutrient rich. We are glad you enjoyed the island and its activities. Bike riding is amazing here! There is always something new to see.

Reviewed 1 November 2021

When paying Island Club prices, is it too much to ask for the basics, like a clean room? Better still, how about the room that you actually booked? If you do get booted from a Queen suite in the main historic hotel (overbook, oops!)to the Sans Souci building like we did (no worries, we were assured this was an ‘upgrade’) is it too much to ask that the staff inform you, as they ply you with a free drink ticket, that you’re in a “dog-friendly” building and after the air kicks off for a minute, you should expect to smell that heavenly wet dog smell? Or that you’re guaranteed to hear a dog, who arrived the next day in the next room, bark incessantly while the owners are off on a bike ride or out late to dinner and leave the poor anxiety ridden animal to its own devices? When paying these rates to celebrate a 4th wedding anniversary is it too much to ask for clean floors, doors to the bathroom and closet that aren’t sticky fingerprinted like a kindergarten room, or clean and dusted lampshades, or fans that don’t spray dust everywhere when you turn them on? And seriously, is to too much to ask for more than one single half used roll of toilet paper in the bathroom? How about housekeeping, who actually sends a TEXT to ask if you would like your room serviced, and if so, what time, and your heart leaps with joy looking forward to that full roll of toilet paper, and you tell them absolutely, any time after 10am is great, and they show up at 930 and you tell them we agreed to be out at 10 - and you are - and then they don’t show up until 3pm that afternoon? Then, when they do service your room, they don’t address ANY of those issues and instead remake the bed (no new sheets mind you) but thankfully leave the blessed toilet paper? Is it too much to ask that the Wharf chef is expected to know how to cook a simple burger or a NY strip properly when you order it medium and it comes to you barely warm and mostly rare? Yes, we got comp’d a drink, but the point is - eating dinner! I could go on but, well, you get the idea. That’s why this was so disappointing, this place is supposed to be WAY above and beyond. On check out, you encounter a frazzled staff member stating into the phone, “I’ll have to let you speak to my supervisor”, tells you all you need to know. Management, this hotel clearly needs leadership. For everyone’s sake, invest in your staff and give them the proper training, pay and recognition required to support a truly beautiful historic landmark hotel and quit leaving them to take the brunt of the responsibility for super sub-par service and accommodations. The ONLY reason this isn’t a one star rating is the outside property. The grounds are beautiful and you can hear the hush of the old days where pride in this landmark was at its best.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Douglas Rucker, General Manager at Jekyll Island Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2021

Thank you for your feedback WorldTraveler1157. We have made note of your comments and recommendations for improvements. We are glad you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and the historic presence. We are working to improve our training and appreciate your review greatly. We are currently in transition to new management. If you would be willing to reach out and discuss your experience further, then you may email our Rooms Manager at kbigelow@jekyllclub.com. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 October 2021 via mobile

We started planning for our anniversary a year and a half ago. We made plans to travel to Quebec City, but a week before the big trip, we decided that leaving the States was a big risk due to Covid. We planned our trip to Jekyll Island with some disappointment, BUT we now consider it a blessing. We absolutely love the resort! We stayed in the annex building for two nights and moved to the Crane Cottage for our last night. Absolutely love the feeling of stepping back in time; the relaxed, quiet atmosphere was so refreshing. The staff is wonderful too. The front desk staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. All of them were extremely nice. We mentioned that we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, and while we were unpacking, a special gift arrived at our door. Thank you, Mike! ❤️ We truly felt special. I do not think we could have had a better experience anywhere else. Thank you to all who served us on this special occasion.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi tinacJ1564XN, thank you for your review! We are glad you had a wonderful 25th anniversary. While your original trip sounded amazing, we are thankful you chose to celebrate this important milestone with us! It was our pleasure to help make this a memorable trip. The history of the property is second to none. The grounds and architecture never fail to impress. We hope to welcome you back next year!

Reviewed 23 October 2021 via mobile

This resort is like stepping back in time. You arrive and it looks like a castle -people were playing croquet on the lawn. The grounds are immaculate and gorgeous. there are so many places to sit - verandas, patios, the pool area is beautiful. the area by the river is beautiful. you can bike around the property - there are several historic cottages to explore, a turtle sanctuary. palm trees, hundred year old oaks. And the rooms are huge. My bathroom was larger than the entire room I had in Savannah! And friendly staff. The free shuttle to their sister property and free chairs/umbrellas is a huge bonus.

The only cons are that it kind of feels like a retirement home. Everybody there is over 60 or traveling with someone who is. The music is from the 40s and 50s. they play it incessantly over the speakers - lots of Bobby Darren, Frank Sinatra and dean Martin - it felt stale. And the rooms could use some updating. I did notice a strange sewer gas type smell in the bathroom that was unpleasant but I didn’t say anything because I hate changing rooms and I figured why would it just be in that one room? It was clear there had been water damage at some point to the ceiling. the crown moldings above the bed could use some repair and there was rust on the vent where the AC and heat come out. But with a balcony overlooking the pool and river and overall beauty of the building these were minor in my opinion.

Also when I first pulled up in my car there was no one standing there to tell me how to check in. I didn’t know if it was OK to just leave my car there. I didn’t know where to go or where reception was there were no signs clearly indicating this so I just left my car right at the front steps (which they later told me was fine). there was no one to help me with my bag up the stairs or point out the small elevator off to the side (which of course I didn’t see) no one to tell me where the check-in area even was. Later throughout my stay I would see people working at that area outside where the cars pull up and I wondered why was no one there when I arrived? it was the middle of the day.

And I also feel that I have to mention that there is a horribly excessive use of plastic at this hotel -acceptable from an environmental perspective. why are you giving people their food at breakfast in plastic containers with plastic lids!? I think we can handle carrying our food a few steps outside to our table on a normal plate with normal silverware and if we’re not then hire people to bring it out to us. it was the same at the pool area plastic plastic plastic - bowls cups silverware the whole deal. My food at the wharf was served in a metal basket lined with paper which is much better but I don’t recall if there were plastic utensils. They bring you a straw whether you ask for it or not and this is also bad. I shudder to think how much they go through in just a month.

Trip type: Travelled solo

Hi Trav226, thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed visiting our southern castle. It is a magical place full of rich history and natural beauty. We appreciate your feedback noted in your review as well. Thank you again! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2021 via mobile

We stopped at Jekyll Island on the way to the mountains. We intended to stay one night, but our visit was so enjoyable that we added an extra night. We stayed in the main building and loved all the beautiful woodwork and historic details. Our interactions with the staff were exceptional. Kendra in reservations was helpful and polite, Vinny the Dining/Beverage manager clearly loves his job and was a delight to meet. Bria and Celeste at the front desk were eager to answer my questions and gave us great input regarding dining options and room choices. We had a blast at the bar by the main dining area and the Old Fashioneds were on point. We loved visiting with the other guests and especially staff member Estella Dior. The property is beautiful, but it’s the passion of the employees that made our visit exceptional. We had great customer service in a lovely setting. Bravo! We will be back.

Room tip: If you want shiny and new, stay at the Ocean resort. If you love old architecture, then the main building is a great choice.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Douglas Rucker, General Manager at Jekyll Island Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2021

Thank you bsembler! We are glad you stopped on your way to the mountains. Jekyll Island is a wonderful place to explore. There is always something new to learn. It was our pleasure to help make your stay memorable. We hope to welcome you back to Jekyll Island again soon. We recommend visiting again during December. The island is decorated with half a million twinkle lights!