Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Expedia
FindHotel
Snaptravel
1,936 results
All reviews the grand dining room crane cottage sans souci historic hotel step back in time main building jekyll island club san souci the cottages croquet lawn front lawn federal reserve wharf restaurant southern charm no elevator spanish moss beautiful grounds
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 October 2021 via mobile

This resort is like stepping back in time. You arrive and it looks like a castle -people were playing croquet on the lawn. The grounds are immaculate and gorgeous. there are so many places to sit - verandas, patios, the pool area is beautiful. the area by the river is beautiful. you can bike around the property - there are several historic cottages to explore, a turtle sanctuary. palm trees, hundred year old oaks. And the rooms are huge. My bathroom was larger than the entire room I had in Savannah! And friendly staff. The free shuttle to their sister property and free chairs/umbrellas is a huge bonus.

The only cons are that it kind of feels like a retirement home. Everybody there is over 60 or traveling with someone who is. The music is from the 40s and 50s. they play it incessantly over the speakers - lots of Bobby Darren, Frank Sinatra and dean Martin - it felt stale. And the rooms could use some updating. I did notice a strange sewer gas type smell in the bathroom that was unpleasant but I didn’t say anything because I hate changing rooms and I figured why would it just be in that one room? It was clear there had been water damage at some point to the ceiling. the crown moldings above the bed could use some repair and there was rust on the vent where the AC and heat come out. But with a balcony overlooking the pool and river and overall beauty of the building these were minor in my opinion.

Also when I first pulled up in my car there was no one standing there to tell me how to check in. I didn’t know if it was OK to just leave my car there. I didn’t know where to go or where reception was there were no signs clearly indicating this so I just left my car right at the front steps (which they later told me was fine). there was no one to help me with my bag up the stairs or point out the small elevator off to the side (which of course I didn’t see) no one to tell me where the check-in area even was. Later throughout my stay I would see people working at that area outside where the cars pull up and I wondered why was no one there when I arrived? it was the middle of the day.

And I also feel that I have to mention that there is a horribly excessive use of plastic at this hotel -acceptable from an environmental perspective. why are you giving people their food at breakfast in plastic containers with plastic lids!? I think we can handle carrying our food a few steps outside to our table on a normal plate with normal silverware and if we’re not then hire people to bring it out to us. it was the same at the pool area plastic plastic plastic - bowls cups silverware the whole deal. My food at the wharf was served in a metal basket lined with paper which is much better but I don’t recall if there were plastic utensils. They bring you a straw whether you ask for it or not and this is also bad. I shudder to think how much they go through in just a month.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Douglas Rucker, General Manager at Jekyll Island Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Trav226, thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed visiting our southern castle. It is a magical place full of rich history and natural beauty. We appreciate your feedback noted in your review as well. Thank you again! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2021 via mobile

We stopped at Jekyll Island on the way to the mountains. We intended to stay one night, but our visit was so enjoyable that we added an extra night. We stayed in the main building and loved all the beautiful woodwork and historic details. Our interactions with the staff were exceptional. Kendra in reservations was helpful and polite, Vinny the Dining/Beverage manager clearly loves his job and was a delight to meet. Bria and Celeste at the front desk were eager to answer my questions and gave us great input regarding dining options and room choices. We had a blast at the bar by the main dining area and the Old Fashioneds were on point. We loved visiting with the other guests and especially staff member Estella Dior. The property is beautiful, but it’s the passion of the employees that made our visit exceptional. We had great customer service in a lovely setting. Bravo! We will be back.

Room tip: If you want shiny and new, stay at the Ocean resort. If you love old architecture, then the main building is a great choice.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Douglas Rucker, General Manager at Jekyll Island Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2021

Thank you bsembler! We are glad you stopped on your way to the mountains. Jekyll Island is a wonderful place to explore. There is always something new to learn. It was our pleasure to help make your stay memorable. We hope to welcome you back to Jekyll Island again soon. We recommend visiting again during December. The island is decorated with half a million twinkle lights!

Reviewed 12 October 2021 via mobile

I’m here on a 2 night “manager’s gift certificate” because our stay in Dec 2020 was so bad. I thought, ok 2 free nights and surely the cleanliness and service will be good this time because the hotel knows I’m on this gift certificate, right?! Wrong. Our room is so dirty. Curtains hanging off the rod. Stains on all the furniture and carpet. And now, as I write, music has just cranked up to level 11 outside on a Monday night and it sounds like the party is in my room. Do not come here.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank karendY6867ST

We appreciate your review karendY6867ST. We have made note of your experience and your feedback. We are working on improving our housekeeping training. Thank you again for your thoughtful review.

Reviewed 8 October 2021

absolutely gorgeous facility, love the history but service was not good. when we checked in we found prior occupants clothing on side table. first restaurant on hotel site couldn't get the order right for a simple burger with bacon cheese and mayo. The television didn't work well when we arrived. They didn't service our room the first day and we had to ask for that to be rectified. After speaking with the manager they did offer to buy us a dinner at their sister hotel on the island which was very pleasant and the food at eighty ocean is fantastic.

We left wishing we were Wowed and we were not.

Room tip: stay at sister hotel / Jekyll island ocean club resort
Date of stay: October 2021
Douglas Rucker, General Manager at Jekyll Island Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2021

We appreciate your feedback JJgass73. We are glad you enjoyed the grounds and history. Our team works hard to ensure we preserve the rich history of the Jekyll Island Club. We will work on our training for housekeeping immediately. We are constantly working to improve and your constructive feedback will help us to ensure we can deliver the best possible service to future guests. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 4 October 2021 via mobile

Just amazing!! There are many different choices of accommodations. We stayed in The Jekyll Club House which is historic. The Ocean Club is on the Atlantic. Get chairs and umbrella and sit on the beach! They will set chairs up for you! There are also rooms in the historic mansions on the property. Food is wonderful! Enjoyed shopping at the little shops on property and in the village. There is a shuttle between properties. Be sure to take the trolley tour!!!!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Douglas Rucker, General Manager at Jekyll Island Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2021

Thank you very much creakbaum! We appreciate your reviews. It is amazing to know we make the bucket list designation! The Jekyll Island Club Resort is a wonderful place to vacation, but we might be bias. You should come in December for your next visit. The island is covered in twinkle lights and the hotel is decorated to the nines for the holiday. Come again soon!