“My favorite place to stop in North Georgia”
Review of Mark of the Potter

Mark of the Potter
More attraction details
Owner description: Mark Of The Potter is the oldest craft shop in the same location in Georgia. For 44 years now we have endeavored to provide the best functional stoneware by our own potters and specially selected potters from around the southeast and U.S.A. We are located on the Scenic 197 Moonshine Highway 10 miles north of Clarkesville, Georgia. Come visit us and then write a review. We appreciate hearing what our customers like and what we could do to improve our shop.
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I absolutely love the Mark of the Potter. It's my favorite place to stop in North Georgia and this week I took a friend and her young son. The location is an old grist mill and the boy LOVED walking down the steps to the underneath of the building to see the waterfall, view of the creek and the trout...and to work up the courage to actually touch Aragon the giant (faux) spider who lives in the corner.

Upstairs is a collection of pottery from many different potters. The "mark" of the potter is the identifying mark left on each piece by the potter. They usually have pieces from my favorite pottery (outside Athens, GA) Happy Valley. On weekends, there is usually a potter at the wheel to demonstrate, but there wasn't mid-week. I always buy "a little something" there and for the past few trips it has been a VERY little something - cute little spoonrests that work great beside the coffeepot to hold the stirring spoon. Last time I bought a little hand that holds the spoon and this time it was a little heart. $3.50 each. I have my eye on some new dragonfly motif pieces. Next time.

Probably the favorite thing for ALL folks are the giant trout at the base of the mill. They have dispensers for fish food so bring your quarters and feed the giant trout. If you drop a lot of pellets at the same time there will be a huge flurry as the trout scurry for the feed. Sometimes they don't allow feeding in summer months or when the temperature is really hot, but it's perfect weather up here right now. Sunny days but the air is still cool.

The Mark of the Potter will be on the right if you are driving north on 197 from Clarkesville. If you continue on north, you'll be on one of the prettiest drives in North Georgia. If you saw the recent movie Wanderlust with Jennifer Aniston, the movie was filmed in the area. North of Batesville you'll be driving on the west side of Lake Burton. This was the first time I've driven that segment of 197 since last year's tornado and the damage still looks fresh in the Wildcat area. The fire station has been rebuilt, but so many trees are still down or gone forever. 197 will dead-end into 76 and you can continue either east or west - toward Clayton or Hiawassee. I think the combo of 197N and 76 east into Clayton is one of the prettiest drives in Georgia. It's absolutely gorgeous right now with the dogwoods blooming in the woods.

1  Thank onemoreroad
"great place"
in 7 reviews
"little gem"

Reviewed 25 September 2011

I love this place. This place has a great selection of pottery from local Georgia and North Carolina artists. You have to go out to the porch and feed the fish. It is very relaxing. My girlfriend and I made the mistake of not getting everything we were looking for at this place instead of waiting to go to Asheville. The prices are cheaper here than at the Folk Art Museum in Asheville or at Arrowcraft in Gatlinburg. I will be coming here again for Christmas gifts. This is just not pottery but art and I believe that it will accrue in value over the years. It is a wonderful place with wonderful people.

2  Thank ARBUFL