Review Highlights
Love, Love Love!

Went to ONF for the day and explored Alexander Springs, Juniper Springs and Salt Springs. The... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
DLL4
Eustis, Florida
I love ONF!!!

I spend every weekend in ONF. Either hiking, biking, or riding somewhere in this amazing forest. My... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
FlaHarlock
Tavares, Florida

All reviews juniper springs recreation area alexander springs national forest black beans natural spring silver glen this place is huge natural beauty worst part picnic tables camp host turkey vultures ranger station hunting season clearwater lake get away
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

We decided to visit on a whim from Orlando. I wish we had had more time and had done more research before we came. We were only able to be here for a couple hours, but it’s beautiful. I’d like to come back prepared to swim and to kayak. Would be a great place for the kids and I to spend the day.

Date of experience: March 2018
3  Thank abpowers1
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

This forest offers so many varieties of ecosystems and it’s a great way to get away from the madness of Orlando. It’s not too far of a drive and I loved it.

You’ll see gators, manatee, a possible bear and very few humans!!! :)

I hiked the Yearling Trail which was Historical and exciting! Definitely add this to your itinerary!

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank Bob D
Reviewed 5 February 2018

We live on the border of the Forest and have to drive through to get places on the east coast of Florida. Most of the time it is a quiet drive. There are two visitor stations on the north and south sides as you enter the Forest. It is nice to enjoy what nature and land we have left.

Date of experience: November 2017
2  Thank ginniedroz
Reviewed 31 December 2017

We went down the 7 mile run in kayaks. The water level must have been just right, and logs and such recently cleared, because we had very few obstacles.

The rapids are very short, stay to the right. Ended hard enough to splash water into kayaks but not very hard to not tip over.

The reverse pickup was very convenient, a little confusing about where we were supposed to be, but it all worked out.

I would very much recommend this run to anyone that feels comfortable in a kayak, not hard at all.

Date of experience: December 2017
5  Thank kathyF2223MY
Reviewed 17 December 2017

I went to Silver Springs State Park which is very nice for a 4 night stay. During the day I went through Ocala National Forest. It is in the middle of nowhere, nothing but trees on both sides of you. The have some campgrounds which I was not impressed. Alexander Springs campground is very tight and has small sites, not good for travel trailers or especially RV's. They have some shady looking people there to say the least .If this doesn't bother you, they have restrooms with hot showers which is a plus. Lake Dorr is nearby which doesn't have electric but has nice bathrooms. You can get a small RV, van or small travel trailer in there but those pesky bugs and mosquito's might be a problem. There is Salt Springs campground open and close site proximity. The worst part is that many of them are $22 or more to stay at a place with no electric, I wouldn't even pay that to stay in a tent. Some people might like this but it was not for me, I'll stay at State Parks and National campgrounds, some don't have electric but I always felt relatively safe and didn't worry about my equipment being stolen. I burnt up a tank of gas exploring Ocala National Forest and I couldn't wait till I got back in town. P.S. If you are ever out this way, you have to try Blue Highway Pizza, the best in the state of Florida, If you try it you'll see why. It's on Silver Springs Highway (Highway 40) in Ocala

Date of experience: December 2017