“Our Favorite Sanibel Restaurant!”
Review of The Island Cow

The Island Cow
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

We love the Island Cow for so many reasons! The food is great the servers are nice and friendly and the decor is really adorable! I do have one pretty big complaint though. They use styrofoam containers for to-go boxes which as we all know are absolutely horrible for the environment! The reason this bothers me so much is that the portions are so gigantic at The Island Cow (which is great!) that everybody probably takes at least two or three boxes home with them at the end of each meal! I truly wish they would convert to some kind of biodegradable take home containers.

1  Thank RMPTravelingYogi
Write a ReviewReviews (6,319)

Reviewed 30 May 2018

Son and Daughter in Law speak highly of this place for breakfast. We happened to be on Sanibel at 2PM today, all the tables outside were filled and lots of cars in the parking lot so we decided to stop for lunch thinking a busy location out of season must have something to offer.
Seated right away indoors which was fine and had a very attentive waitress. Lunch for two. I ordered the Fried Pickles and they were some of the best I have had anywhere and the order was enough for 6 people easy. Wife was missing deep fried cheese curds and as we and the owners were both originally from WI, she decided to get an order of Fried Cheese also, like that logic made some kind of sense. When you eat Deep Fried Cheese curds at one of the best places that serves them it the entire country near Madison, WI, you know you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment.They were over fried and many of the fried nuggets where nothing but hollow breaded air. Cheese had been fried out of them. Pickles came to the table hot, curds cold. SKIP THE CURDS!! Moving on I decided on the hand breaded FL Gulf Pink Shrimp. Wife Ruban. Neither brought any happiness to the table. The bread was soggy which was less than desirable. Corn Beef was, well it was corn beef. Nothing special about it and slightly bland. If those were hand breaded Gulf Pink Shrimp I'd be very surprised. Butterflied, over breaded and then frozen before being way over cooked. In what FL restaurant do they put Gulf Pink Hand Breaded Shrimp on the menu and serve you frozen shrimp. Why would a chef/cook ruin a fresh Gulf shrimp buy over breading and then freezing in a rolled up little ball? Best thing on the plate were the Hush Puppies. Note....we order Apps and then waited a bit to order lunch as it is a very large menu which was a red flag also. We needed time to look over the menu as our first time here. When you have a menu this size it reads SYSCO not hand breaded in your kitchen as implied. Glad we had that time to try Apps as we ordered the lunches and were out of the kitchen very, very quickly. People behind us their apps and lunch were delivered not more than two minutes apart. I was very disappointed because of all the very good reviews. Once again I have come to the conclusion that to many people eating out have no real appreciation of what really good food tastes like. There is nothing we ate here today as an entree which I could not make myself much better. This is not Poor quality but it is less than Average quality food served here. There is the chance that we ordered the wrong food here but I have no plans to double check that theory.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

"Shrimp-in-a-Basket" on any menu means a few small shrimp and a hand-full of fries. A light lunch...a snack. Hardly hearty. At Island Cow.... "Holy Cow!!" ...be still my heart!! Immense !!! Ample Ring finger sized clams, oysters, shrimp, calamari, Flounder, hush puppies with an enormous basket of fries...Oh, and the ramekin of Cole slaw.Not a snack...ample vittles for a family of four!
Oh, there was also a delightful well-presented salad with skillfully grilled chicken!
Heather, skilled, seasoned and engaging choreographed the event.

2  Thank johnfjohnston
Reviewed 29 May 2018

We enjoyed our meal at The Island Cow. There was a bit of a wait, but not too bad. The drinks are awesome and so was the food.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

My husband and I went to The Island Cow tonight and the place was jammed packed. It seems like a great place to go for families. The atmosphere is uber casual and fun. Unfortunately, I found it so loud that I didn’t enjoy my meal. My husband and I weren’t really able to converse because of how loud it was. He said his patty melt was one of the best burgers he’s ever had, and he loves burgers. I had the blackened scallop and shrimp salad. The scallops were perfectly cooked. The shrimp were too over-seasoned for me.