Hotels.com
Expedia
FindHotel
Agoda.com
1,313 results
All reviews front porch audubon room other guests social hour strawberry soup bed and breakfast veranda room breakfast was amazing perfect location people watching within walking distance wonderful hosts casserole historic district b b's carriage house a wonderful stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 May 2021

I recently stayed at the Inn on Charlotte in St. Augustine, FL. Let me start with the positives. The location was perfect for walking around, which is what I wanted, right in the heart of everything historic. Although my room wasn’t as expected (I’ll get to that soon), I appreciated the double-headed shower, and the room did eventually get cooled by the A/C. The parking, while not on-site, wasn’t much of a problem for me and the ladies on premises DID check me in early around 1:30, which was pleasantly unexpected.
I booked through a third party and this isn’t my first rodeo. For the most part, I’ve had very good experiences with Booking.com. I do my homework, read the reviews, look in-depth at the photos, and compare/contrast rooms, amenities and price fluctuations. In April I booked a room with a queen bed and what sold me, a personal in-room hot tub. I was ecstatic for my trip and to finally get a chance to stay at a reputable B & B. As mentioned, the ladies were very nice and let me in early. Once escorted to my room, I noticed it had a shower and no hot tub. I put my luggage in the room but went to get the inn worker who I’d been dealing with to show her the room I booked. Unbeknownst to me, the Wi-Fi at the inn barely worked, so I could not pull up the room I’d booked to show her. She was kind, but pretty insistent that I couldn’t have secured the room with the hot tub at the rate I paid. However, she said I could have that room with the hot tub for $219 plus tax (I had paid around $140) on Booking.com. I was not interested in paying more for what I originally booked. At this point, I left to grab a quick lunch and try to pull up the confirmation of the room I thought I’d booked. After some time, I determined that I could not access the Inn on Charlotte on ANY third-party booking site. They had taken their offerings down from any third-party site (I checked multiple). This was sketchy to me.
Anyhow, I made my way back to the room I was given, which wasn’t bad at all, but again, not the room I thought I was getting. The A/C was set to 74 but it was well over 80. I called the worker for the Inn again to inquire as to how to adjust the A/C. She fiddled with the remote and it temporarily started blowing air. I had to call her back again because it seemed like it was trickling out, and she brought another worker with her and she got it to finally kick on. I sat and while waiting for my room to cool down, I called Booking.com since I could no longer access the B & B myself and my confirmation only said, “Deluxe Queen Room.” The gentleman I spoke with listened to my situation and just confirmed what I had thought all along. I had booked a room with a hot tub. The ladies who previously helped me with check-in and the A/C, came again to my room. They asked what else they could do for me, and I was perplexed. They then said that Booking was calling them about my room issue, and I explained that yes, I was on the line (on hold) with Booking trying to figure out what had happened. They were at this point getting agitated with me and the whole situation. The lady who had originally brought me up to my room this time said, “If you’re that unhappy, I can give you your money back.” I refused, explaining that that puts me out of a room and was not helpful to me in this situation. Another lady arrived, I’m unsure if she was the manager or what, but I had not seen her until this point. She stood in the doorway of my room, basically parroting everything the other ladies had told me (that I can get reimbursed and find a new place to stay, she’d have no trouble getting that room filled if I leave, I can pay the difference for the room with the hot-tub, blah blah blah). She also insisted that there is no possible way I would’ve secured the room with the hot tub for the rate I paid. She also said that they only offer 2 rooms from the Inn to Booking.com, the one they put me in and the one below. A little later into our conversation, she said that they only offer the rooms with hot tubs occasionally, contradicting what she’d just said. After a while I told her I was staying. What a terrible experience to be almost harassed in a room when you’re trying to settle a room-booking issue.
I apologize for the novel, but I need people to understand what I went through as a first-time customer to the Inn on Charlotte, my first-time experience with a B&B. The agent from Booking.com told me, as he waited on the line to clear up the matter, that I DID originally secure the room with the hot tub. The women at the Inn were wrong. He gave me a couple options after speaking with his manager: I could leave, be refunded by the Inn (hopefully) and they’d help me find alternate lodging OR I could stay, and they would credit me $50 for my inconvenience. I chose the latter as it was nearly 5 at this point and a few hours of my day had already been ruined. I tried to make the most of my time in St. Augustine, but I won’t lie, it was hard to do with this disappointment.
In reference to the room, I stayed in at the Inn on Charlotte, some negatives I saw (besides being given a room I did not want):
--The place could use more cleaning/updating, the floor was dirty with dust, hair and I even killed a spider while there (not the biggest deal). The paint on the walls is peeling off, and it’s even missing in some spots. There was a desk and chair, the chair seat was torn (pics to follow)
--The A/C took hours to get to the desired temperature
--Wi-Fi was spotty at best, but mostly didn’t connect
--Shower light/fan combo was very noisy
--There was no person there, like no actual front desk that I saw, so for every issue I had, I had to call a phone number and request them to get someone for me. I needed to do this when parking, when I needed help with the A/C, and when asking about checkout. Not sure if this is a B & B thing, but it was very inconvenient for me as the customer.
The whole experience of being promised a room I did not book has really put me off from trusting B & Bs. I felt like a ping-pong ball in the middle, trying to find out who was at fault: the owners of the Inn OR Booking.com. Booking.com insists that the Inn gave them the room slots that they put online to customers. However, the Inn denies having put the room I booked on Booking.com. I am not a liar, or a swindler, and I don’t try to cheat the system. I know what I booked, and it was not the room I was given. I have a feeling it was a ploy by the Inn to gain customers, to showcase rooms they never intended to fill and to give the customer the standard room regardless. To me, there is no other reason that the Inn would have taken themselves off of third-party booking sites completely.
If you are thinking of booking at the Inn, just be aware you may be given a room you have not booked. It’s not a horrible place to stay, but the customer service was the worst I’ve seen/experienced in a while. The room I booked WAS available for the night I was there and it sat empty all night…they didn’t even try to make me happy

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2021

Stayed at The Inn on Charlotte for Mother’s Day weekend. It was wonderful!! Although we have stayed at many B& B’s in St Augustine, this is definitely one of the best. From the impeccable service, to the delicious Breakfasts and the comfortable King Size Mattress/Comforter, we found it to be an amazing place to stay! Comfy, Homelike and Super sweet Hosts. Do yourself a favor and stay here!

Room tip: Room 4 is soundproof/great for late sleepers. Room 1 and 2 have balconies overlooking Charlotte and catches the bay breeze.
Date of stay: May 2021
Reviewed 28 April 2021

PERFECT location for being within walking distance of everything. It was so charming inside and out and had VERY comfortable beds. They assigned us a parking spot. The owners were great and it was very clean. They served breakfast at 9:15 and it was such a cute setup with a homey feel. They got us in last minute and we wished we were there longer!

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 27 April 2021

I try to stay here a couple times a year. The location is perfect, the Host Mario is great, and the rooms take you back to old St Augustine. Not to mention the free beer and Breakfast’s every morning.
I posted a picture of my balcony view

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2021

What a wonderful stay. The inn is charming and gorgeous, and the owners, Mario and Erica, could not have been sweeter or more accommodating. The location is prime, right near the historic shops and restaurants and bars. There is a daily, wonderful breakfast and well as afternoon wine and snacks, all included, and there is parking available. We are looking forward to staying there again. Thank you! Don and Lyn

Date of stay: February 2021
Charlotte Inn, Owner at Inn On Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2021

Thank you so much for your kind words it was a delight meeting and serving you. Looking forward to seeing you again !