1,265 results
All reviews bully ranch swiss chalet fondue oxygen bar blue spruce suite king's club cookies heated floors spa area turn down service breakfast buffet junior suite ski haus the indoor outdoor pool european feel favorite hotel ski concierge
Reviewed 5 May 2018

We stayed here for four nights during shoulder season and as usual the hotel was wonderful. We were in Suite 440. There were far more positives than negatives and here they are:

Positives

1) Free upgrade to a magnificent suite, #440.
2) Friendliest staff, unbelievably helpful.
3) Gorgeous, clean room.
4) Balcony, yes a private balcony for people watching and sunset glass of wine!
5) Clean, bright, well kept common spaces.
6) Free coffee in the morning.
7) Bully Bar is much more than a bar, the food is great!
8) The housekeeping staff will clean your room quickly, even if you don't get out of the room until later in the day. They are efficient!

Negative(s)

1) The hotel shut down the spa, pools, hot tubs and GYM, without telling us! We use the Gym EVERY DAY, and this was something that would have made us change our minds about what days to stay.

2) The climate control is not really in your power. If you turn on the fan in your room it only blows hot air. To cool off you must open windows and this can be problematic with the noise from the street (though Vail is a very quiet town in comparison to a city).

The hotels location could not be better, it is right in the middle of Vail and within walking distance to everything!

The charm and character of the hotel are perfect. You must stay here at least once!

Room tip: As far as we can tell, any room is a great room!
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you for your thoughtful review.
I apologize for the oversight in not informing you about our spa closure. We indeed had to close the spa for a 2 day period for refresh, spring clean and repair/upgrade projects. While we offer use of our Sonnenalp Club fitness facility during those rare closures, I recognize that it is important to inform our guest ahead of time. I am so sorry for failing to do so.

The Sonnenalp is fully air-conditioned. However, during periods when it is still cold at night and quite warm during the day, our system does not respond as quickly as we would like from heating to cooling mode. I am sorry this caused inconvenience for you.

Please come back,
We want to make sure we get everything right next time you visit.

Reviewed 5 May 2018

Our company had a corporate off-site event at the Sonnenalp involving a team of about 40+ human beings. The planning and execution of the event was nearly perfect due to the quality team at this resort. They were able to accommodate constant changes and had very grand meeting/conference room spaces. I appreciated the staff's ability to actually listen and propose solutions as opposed to giving the expected run around excuses (common human trait). Overall reception and staff had very high level of customer service, very welcoming and friendly: my team of humans were left with a very good impression of the resort's service. Everything else about the resort was exceptional. Food was beyond good and great value considering the size of our group. Rooms were more than adequately equipped, comfortable, and even had subjectively great views. Our humans were delivered in a charter bus, so I cannot comment on the parking, but overall very happy with our experience at the Sonnenalp! If you want a painless experience in coordinating a great team event for your off-site, the Sonnenalp should be on the top of that list!

Room tip: just spend a little more and be done with it.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Great hotel, quaint and unique in the center of Vail Village. Friendly and very helpful staff. Room was great but was on 2 levels, would request a room/suite on 1 level next time. Best breakfast in Vail, everything you’d want and more!

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We enjoyed our stay at the Sonnenalp probably more than ever! We received an upgrade during the shoulder season and it was marvelous! The hotel room was roomy, comfortable, quiet, and loved the coffee addition to the rooms with water re-supplied daily. The spa is out of this world. Not only is the area so pleasing but it is maintained so beautifully. Our breakfast was exceptional and our waiter a sweetheart. We think management keeps the Sonnenalp up to the highest of standards. Even the elevators feel loved. Thank you for making this an extra special time for us!

Room tip: The creek views are spacious and lovely, the city views are charming.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2018

I booked a last minute trip to Vail to take advantage of some great spring skiing. The Sonnenalp is a wonderful hotel, very comfortable, and ideally located in the Vail Village. As a luxury hotel, they offered a great deal for the end of the season, when the village and hills are almost empty. My only suggestion for improvement when asked for feedback at the end of my stay: the hotel was far from full, and when I was asked by the front desk if I wanted an upgrade when I checked in, I said yes if it was complimentary. I was told with a bit of an attitude that no, it was still winter (in April?), so there would be a charge. I declined, since I'd booked a lovely room. I've stayed in many 5 star hotels worldwide, and have often been upgraded based on availability. This would have been an easy win for the hotel. However I complement the hotel management for asking and acknowledging this as an opportunity for next time.

• Trip type: Travelled solo