All reviews happy hour free shuttle free wine and beer cal poly evening bbq made to order breakfast pocket door living area breakfast burrito free breakfast the hotel offers pull out couch sitting room waffles manager's reception pool area two double beds
Reviewed 29 August 2018

My adult son and I stayed two nights, while touring Beach towns from Pismo to San Simeon. I chose Quality Suites for four reasons. First, there is a pocket door separating the bedroom from the living room, which provided nice privacy for both of us. I requested a quiet room and we were on the third floor, far end from the pool. The room was spacious, tv's were good, and my son was comfy in the sofa bed.
Secondly, the hotel offers an excellent, made to order breakfast with accompanying breakfast buffet. I stay in Marriotts primarily and have never had such a delicious breakfast for free!
A third perk is the hotel provides a free shuttle to downtown (about 1 mile away), which is great if you don't want the hassle of parking, are drinking, etc. we took advantage of this one night.
They have a nightly happy hour in their bar, featuring a variety of beer and wine. Free! A chef grilled poolside, during happy hour, so sandwiches were sold very reasonably priced. Convenient for families.
The hotel is old and can use some updating, which is the only reason I deducted a star. However, I think the lobby area and bar are very charming. The rooms are set up around the pool and quad, open to the sky, and there are vignettes of lounge chairs throughout the quad. I think the atmosphere is simply lovely.
If we travel to this area again, we will definitely return to the hotel.
I would recommend getting a room away from the pool, as it was a very boisterous area.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are NOT close to the pool! Our third floor, almost end of hallway, on the opposite of the pool end was perfect.
Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
gnewland, Manager at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Joanne,

Thank you for the excellent review! Glad you and your son were able to enjoy your time together, and experience a clean comfortable stay. We make it our goal to provide all our guests with a unique experience by providing one of a kind amenities and complimentary services, which I'm glad you were able to take advantage of. I hope the rest of your trip through the central coast went well, and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 23 August 2018

I'd give this place 3.5 stars, but hey, we're rounding up. The real selling point of this place is the spacious standard rooms. At a minimum, each room has a living room big enough for an L-shaped sofa, and a separate bedroom separated by a door. In addition, each room has a mini-fridge and two TVs. We loved having the extra space and the ability watch TV in the living room and close the door to the bedroom.

Other than the rooms, the rest of the grounds are fine albeit a little tired and dated. The pool is pretty nice, but got really crowded and loud when we were there. It seemed like the hotel was booked for a wedding party that weekend, and they kind of took over the pool, which was a little annoying.

The hotel also offers an evening wine and beer reception, which is complimentary, accompanied by some food, which costs a reasonable amount. The breakfast in the morning is also complimentary. The breakfast was fairly impressive for a complimentary breakfast because it was cooked to order.

Another amenity offered is the complimentary hotel which goes to downtown, the airport, amtrak station and Cal Poly. Not sure if they do pick-ups though.

My biggest gripe with this place is the fitness center. First, for some bizarre reason, the hotel is on the third floor, meaning that any little thing will set off complaints from the rooms below. I'm not talking about slamming weights down, but simply walking across the gym floor or placing the weights gently on the floor. It's really ridiculous. Secondly, the gym is way too small for the number of people at the hotel. After the first day, we gave up trying to wait for the use of any of the machines and got day passes at a local gym. Perhaps the hotel should scratch the idea of an on-site gym, and make arrangements for passes at the local gym. In the end it was a lot easier to use that.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
gnewland, Manager at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

Thank you for the extensive review! Our hotel shuttle does pick up from anywhere we drop off. Also, I can understand your feelings about our fitness center, it's not huge, but we hope if someone is looking to get some quick cardio or light lifting that it will do the trick. We can provide passes to a local gym, and we always encourage local trail running. Thanks again for providing feedback about your stay.

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Visited SLO for first time to visit Cal Poly. Our family of 4 (hubby and 2 teen sons) stayed for 2 nights. Hotel rooms are a bit dated and a/c a tad loud , but the cleanliness, amenities and location made up for it. The hotel has a courtyard/motel layout. The courtyard has a swimming pool, nice patio furniture, mature trees and string lights add nice ambiance. This is where guests congregate for happy hour and meals (there’s also indoor seating)

Here’s what is INCLUDED during your stay: WiFi, breakfast (with 4 -5 choices of made to order entrees), happy hour (wine, beer and soft drinks), shuttle service to downtown and Cal Poly, in room mini fridge and microwave. The hotel also offers burger/hot dog/taco dinners ranging in price $3-$6 . Its a great cheap eats option for families, so kids can swim in the courtyard pool area while dining

Downtown SLO is walking distance from hotel (or take free shuttle), is filled with bustling restaurants and shops and also has evening farmers market every Thursday with musicians, and food vendors.

Pismo beach is a 15-20min car ride. Oceano Beach is a mile from pismo where you can rent ATVs and cruise the sand dunes (our family loved it!).

There is a Costco about 5 mi away which is convenient to gas up the car , get pizza and bring back to hotel (which we did and had free happy hour wine and soft drinks at hotel :) ). Theres also a Target and typical strip mall restaurants.

The hotel was busy with guests: families travelling to soccer tournaments, tourists road tripping to San Francisco, families visiting the college campus of Cal Poly SLO.

Overall, we would stay again. Considering the rooms were a bit dated it can be a bit pricey depending on the days of your stay (our Th rate was $170 then jumped to $280 for Fri night on AAArate!)

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
gnewland, Manager at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you for the detailed review! Your writing paints a good picture for what guests can expect when visiting our hotel and SLO. If anyone you know does end up attending Cal Poly, make sure to book your reservations out far in advance for busy Cal Poly weekends. Since we provide a lot of helpful amenities and services, our property tends to be a popular spot for CP events. Thanks again for writing about your stay, and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Spectacular grounds. Stayed a lot of places, and this is definitely a hotel where you want to hang out by the pool, enjoy the free manager's reception and nightly BBQ, and sit near the river that runs in the back of the property. Wonderful breakfast. Great location just off hwy 101 on Montgomery. I will stay here again and request the 2nd floor on the back buildings 5, 6 and 7 which have no 3rd floor and are the quietest (away from the pool and main courtyard.)

Room Tip: Upper floors away from pool and front courtyard. Front rooms have 3 stories and back buildings have 2 stories.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
gnewland, Manager at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Thank you for writing about your stay! Your experience is one that we strive for all our guests. We want everyone to feel relaxed, and be able to unwind. The back courtyard is a great suggestion if someone is looking to be a little further away from the action. Thanks again for providing feedback about your visit. See you again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

This hotel was a nice play to stay for me, my husband at 6mo baby. Upon check-in, we didn't get much instruction so I had to call back and request information about breakfast, wifi, etc.

We only had one major hiccup. When we were out for the entire day, we got back close to 3pm and our room hadn't been cleaned. We called and they said they'd send housekeeping but no one came by after 10+ min of waiting. We went to the front desk and asked them, then camped right outside the lobby. No one from the front desk bothered to tell us they were done. We checked on our own and they were done but the sheets were put on the bed, folded. I called to ask what was going on. The housekeeping head came by and said they don't usually change the sheets unless it's been three days, but maybe those sheets were for the pack-n-play and they gave us the wrong ones. So, she took care of everything.

Besides that, I was pleased. We were on a top-level AWAY from the pool. If you're facing the pool you're going to hear noise in your room. We experienced this with our initial room assignment and asked to move. We were put towards the back and didn't have a great view, but it was quiet, which is so important to me. We never heard our neighbors throughout the stay.

We were able to set up the baby in the living area after moving some furniture around and we had a sliding door to the bedroom. They provided simple toiletries and more towels upon request. There was a sink in the living room we used to wash bottles and one in the bedroom outside the toilet/shower room. For a short trip, this was great.

My husband didn't like the bed since he said it wasn't soft enough, but I was fine with it. I can't speak to the pool or rec room as we didn't use them.

The breakfast was great! So many options and people on the grill. Wonderful add-on and all free.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family