See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 October 2018

OK, a little bit tired round the edges, with our room a bit on the small side, but overall this is a good value stay. Room was clean with a comfortable bed. Efficient service with a pastry and coffee for breakfast. Location is ideal, since it sits at the gateway to southern end of Bid Sur, Hearst Castle being the first major stop.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

We needed somewhere cheap for a couple of nights stop on the way to San Francisco. Sunbeam motel was just what we needed - somewhere to sleep. The room was clean except for the fridge had some things left from the previous guests. Most importantly, the bed was clean.

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Stopped here on our way home from Northern California. Pleasant older couple runs this place, no frills, but very clean and close to downtown SLO. Coffee and doughnuts in the morning when we checked out! Overall great experience.

Date of stay: July 2017
2  Thank littleman73
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

One star for price and location and one star because it has all the little amenities, microwave, fridge, coffee pot (missing lid but it worked), hairdryer and clean bedding. Only thing missing was iron and ironing board, but I'm sure you could get them from the office. The AC worked fine but during the night would start to rattle, however, a few taps would make it stop. That being said, the room, other than bedding and towels, was no where near what I would call clean and there was no attempt at anything aesthetic. There were layers of dust on every unused surface, stains on the carpet, electrical cords dangling everywhere and the curtain above the bed was actually taped to the wall to prevent early morning sun from coming in. Can't say he staff was welcoming either. Despite all that I would probably stay again because it was cheap (for the area) and we just need a place to sleep, not hang out.

Date of stay: July 2017
1  Thank Lonjea
Reviewed 4 July 2017

My experience of the Sunbeam Motel has nothing to do with staying there. We were on our way to San Luis Obispo to stay at the Sunbeam and visit a high school classmate who lives there when our car broke down about 150 miles away. We had to have the car towed to nearby Bakersfield for repair. I immediately called the hotel to let them know we couldn't make it and was told I would be charged for the room anyway as this was their policy with customers who book through Expedia.

I complained to Expedia about the charge and they attempted to contact Sunbeam to retrieve the charge to no avail. As a courtesy to me, and other customers who find themselves in a similar predicament, it would be good PR if the hotel did not charge for cancelled reservations. Whenever I come to California I often stay in San Luis Obispo, and given this experience with Sunbeam I'm less likely to stay there or recommend it to friends and family.

Date of stay: June 2017