1,349 results
All reviews don devine chi chi kelly wearstler hollywood regency family pool bedroom bungalow the entire staff poolside service an upgrade main pool old school beautiful grounds relaxing stay love this place the main drag close to downtown full kitchen
Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

Don't be expecting it to look like the
Beautiful photos.., it's been Stripped.., it's dirty and worn out... Passable food but way to expensive..,especially for the rag tag atmosphere...
I'dSkip this and head to the Parker in Palm Springs.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sarah B, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2016

Dear Jak K,

It is disappointing to hear that we did not provide you with an experience that fit your expectations. While we are constantly maintaining our guestrooms and ensuring we keep the old world charm, we always want our guests to feel the hotel is a good value. We will take you comments about the food constructively to ensure we provide the best experience for our guests.

Reviewed 12 February 2016

FIVE-STAR experience.This review is almost a year overdue. Not sure exactly where to start but have been meaning to convey how pleased I was to stay at the Avalon (formerly the Viceroy) for 5 days last spring. I was a frequent guest at the Viceroy dating back to 2006/2007. The Viceroy did have a very strong run for a few years, an absolute one-of-kind palm springs experience. I felt, however, that it had dropped off noticeably in its overall offering some 2-3 years back and I started to explore other accommodations in the desert. Last May I decided to take my girlfriend and return to this property because i had found out that it had new branding/ownership. First off, I booked my reservation 2 weeks in advance and the Staff at the hotel was willing to reserve a particular room for me as well as allow me to look at several other room options on my day of check-in. I wasn't sure if the room I wanted to hold was one that I had stayed in some years back and I wanted it held so I could have a chance to experience it again. Major props to the staff for being flexible on this. Second, the food and beverage operation there has been restored to the quality level that I experienced when I first visited this property when it was the Viceroy. Very rustic and artisanal menu and very very good artisanal cocktails. We tried to party at the lobby lounge every night because of this. Third, the rooms and the décor, in a word sublime. the beds are excellent, the linens are excellent. The white on white on chrome room textures and finishing décor will automatically drop your stress levels the minute you walk in. Also the property has a variety of different room options... some have lounges, some have small kitchens and as mentioned the staff will help you figure out which room is going to meet your needs. so many of them are fantastic and unique. Lastly I want to mention the people. All the staff members were completely attentive and treating seemingly everyone as a VIP. You never got a sense of detachment, people treated you almost as if they knew you. I particularly recall a GM or Property Manager by the name of Don Devine who helped us get into our room, talked to us about the property, told us to hit him up directly if there was anything we needed and meant it. Don new his business and understood the luster of this property. Very glad that the Avalon is in extremely capable hands. My recommendation to all is - Go here, at least once in your life. check it out. It's a very special place.

Room tip: There are 3 large areas --- there are so many great rooms and they are all diff, hard to recommend
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sarah B, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2016

Dear Matthew D,

Wow, thank you for your kind and detailed comments! We are so thrilled that you chose to return to the property and that Don and the team were able to take great care of you. We hope to see you again on your next getaway!

Reviewed 10 February 2016

The former Viceroy Hotel hasn't changed a bit, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Whether you are dining poolside, relaxing at the spa or hanging out at one of the villas, its really an enjoyable place. Its a hotel but has a bit of a resort feel. They have a super helpful concierge, a nice restaurant with a creative menu and fantastic design that works well with the old Hollywood glam look mixing in with a bit of mod style.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Recently stayed at the Avalon in Palm Springs, CA (Feb 2016). The hotel and grounds are nice and staff and management were great. We loved that our room had a jam box in it, so we can listen to music as we hung out or got ready for our evening, however, there are key issues which should be addressed.

1) The main pool has tacky plastic chairs, which are uncomfortable and hard to operate. The hotel should immediately upgrade this for these to be in line with the expectations they create in their marketing.

2) Doesn't matter which rate you choose, since they're going to put you in whatever room is available at that moment. So your best bet is to pick the cheapest. We had paid extra for a king room, and received a room with a Queen bed, and was told this was an "upgrade".

3) The older rooms have older A/C units in them, they typically do not need to be turned on, however, mid day when it does get warm, you may want it for a bit. Ours sprayed black dust/dirt all over the floor and our bags.

4) We were charged a "resort fee", even though we couldn't use the full resort due a wedding on Saturday. 2 of the 3 pools were closed by 3pm, and we were packed like cattle in the main pool with plastic chairs. This treatment is not really worthy of a "resort fee". If you have your wedding at the hotel, you should rent out the hotel (it's small enough to accomplish that), or else you can't have a shutdown of a majority of the public space.

5) The lobby bar is awkward, looks like the remnants of something else that they through a few random pieces of furniture into to make it a lounge. It wasn't inviting, nor a place that felt like i wanted to hang out and have a cocktail.

6) Ordered Ice via the app they tout in your room, and the ice never showed.

Hopefully they correct these nuances, which could be the difference of good to great.

Room tip: select the cheapest rate - consider using hotels tonight, since they are advertising available rooms for half the price we paid.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan S

Dear Ryan S,

We appreciate the feedback. We will keep all comments in mind so we can improve your experience. I am pleased to say that we are upgrading out pool furniture at this time, so on your next stay it will be waiting for you at our three pools! My apologies that we did not properly explain the many amenities that come with the resort fee and that two of the three pools were open during the wedding. We absolutely should have given you all needed information to fully enjoy your stay with us, but I am glad that you liked the grounds, service and rooms. We really do thank you for the helpful information.

Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

It started out good... But time takes it's toil on everything. The renamed hotel looks the same lemon yellow and stark white decor. The resturant was always good intimate and simple. I like the little bar. You can see everyone who's staying there pass by.
Let's hope it keeps to it's orginial class.
Off the main street is good and quite. Get a bungolow on the leftside of the property.
Enjoy the weather now before it gets too hot.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear MRJMV,

Thanks for the great guest tips! We hope to see you again soon!