All reviews kings highway amigo room stumptown coffee standard king patio room pool area record player cool hotel main pool younger crowd cool vibe fish tacos mini bar great design pool party mid week great music
Reviewed 30 September 2018

An old Howard Johnson's motel about a mile outside of town that they are marketing as the place where all the cool kids stay. I don't think I'm drunk enough or "hip" enough to enjoy this place at the price they charge - even in the off season when it's 110 degrees.

First the good: It does have a cool retro vibe in the lobby, diner and bar. Vinyl records on display, the expected painstakingly selected playlist in the air, more records and a record player in the hotel room, a huge enclosed and gated patio that goes with the rooms on the first floor, a mini fridge that isn't pressure plated so you can take out their overpriced stuff and put your own inside to keep cool, table tennis and cornhole, refreshingly cool water in the pool and plenty of chairs.

Now the WTF things: Several 2 inch holes in the concrete floor of the room where they ripped out a wall or something and never bothered to patch them up (great for stubbing or ripping apart your toe), plain concrete floor so your feet get dirty quickly, no slippers, ONE robe and one over the head long gown of some sort, gross grout in the shower from obvious lack of cleaning over the years (they didn't bother to actually renovate evidently, just replaced the fixtures), Wall light in the bathroom literally hanging off the wall by the wiring, electrical outlets hidden behind the door of the toilet a couple of inches above the floor right across from the shower, no hairdryer that we could find anywhere, no drawers for that matter, just a cheap metal table and chairs, and soap that literally smelled like wood smoke and ash.

One other thing to mention is the lifeguard at the pool, which at first I thought was a great idea and surprisingly responsible on the hotel's part. But that faded when he was so preoccupied talking with three of his buddies that he didn't bother to tell the guest with what looked like a huge case of ringworm on both sides of his torso that he shouldn't get in the pool with a contagious disease. So, Ringworm Dad and his toddler happily splashed about and I decided that ended any time I would be spending in the pool.

Again, I was obviously not drunk enough to ignore some things.

So, if you wound up with a strange rash, or athlete's foot from not wearing flip flops in the shower.....now you know what I saw.

Bottom line? Retro doesn't mean "O and F'd"

Room tip: bottom floors have patios
Date of stay: September 2018
4  Thank KiraG157
Reviewed 26 September 2018

I was so excited to stay at the Ace Hotel - I follow them on Instagram and it looks like such a cool hip place. Don't get me wrong it is cool - until you look closely. The rooms are tired and need refreshing. The record player in my room did not work and the floor was dirty. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in! The drink prices are OUT OF THIS WORLD - $17 for a vodka soda at the pool. Friendly staff and nice pools. For the price I paid I would expect some luxury - there really isn't any. I was bummed this place was not as I expected.

Date of stay: August 2018
2  Thank SandAndSunLover1
Reviewed 19 September 2018

We've stayed at this Ace hotel before, and at different Ace properties elsewhere but the Palm Springs location is unique and special. The food is great, the room offerings are unique, and the service is warm and welcoming. I love the bike rentals, the pool area, and the many places you can hide or be social. I feel like I find something new every time I am back at the Ace. This time was no exception our patio room was really great, especially considering we had our dogs with us. Room service was quick and attentive even though they were sold out for the weekend. The front desk was very nice and helpful. We were treated like valued guests, which is such a welcomed change after staying in many different hotels where it feels like the staff count on never seeing you again. Would gladly stay at the Ace again, and we probably will!

Room tip: Lots of room options, call to discuss your ideal room
Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

We went as day visitors purchasing their $USD30 swim club membership. This place was an overpriced and underwhelming experience from start to finish. Fish tacos were tasteless, the wine was USD$18 per glass with taxes and tips, for really average service. The staff could barely rustle up a smile and then we’re expected to tip. I gave up being pleasant.

There’s little shade in 100+ temps, the chairs are uncomfortable and the place looks old and jaded.

As we were packing up and leaving, after being there for a few hours, one of the servers, who had walked past multiple times, asks if we need anything. Thanks champ, we’re fine.

Only highlights were some cool tunes from the DJ and quite a nice pool. I would probably spend my money elsewhere.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay here. Was upgraded to a bigger room upon check in which was a lovely surprise. Lived the decor, bathroom amenties and big, comfortable bed. Had to resist the very well stocked mini bar but enjoyed looking at what was available! Had breakfast at the adjacent diner, which was delicious. Didn’t use the pool but it looked nice. All in all a wonderful Palm Springs experience at the Ace.

Date of stay: March 2018