All reviews the main house king room short drive private deck perfect hosts nature preserve hot tub b and b perfect bed and breakfast joshua tree the palm springs area desert retreat living area next morning each morning our honeymoon other guests
Reviewed 6 May 2018

I've been vacationing in Palm Springs for 15 years, and I can't believe I only just discovered Casa de los Desperados. Trust me, all of the reviews are spot-on! If you are looking to "get away from it all" you won't be disappointed staying at this charming home. We stayed in one of the AirStreams for the unique experience, but we felt completely at home and welcome inside the main house as well. We spent a lot of time sitting out on the back patio. During the day, we just soaked up the quiet of the desert. At night, we relaxed on the "star gazing" bed to watch the sky fill with stars!

Not only are Wayne and Michael the perfect hosts, but their 2 dogs will love you on first sight. When we told Wayne we wanted to take a hike over to the local oasis, he told us that Piero (a very large, friendly dog) "will take you over there". Once or twice, I felt like a dang fool blindly following a happy-go lucky dog along a well hidden path. It was a surreal moment when I actually realized that Piero knew exactly where he was going!

Okay, since all the other reviewer already rave wildly about Chef Wayne's phenomenal cooking, I feel compelled to add one more element: He really cares about pleasing his guests. Early on, when Wayne asked me about any food or dietary issues he should know about, I went a bit overboard with info. (Michael teased me that they plan on framing my response!) They couldn't do enough to make sure the meals (the daily breakfasts and the special "to die for" dinner) were beyond compare!

As I wrote in their guest book this morning, we came for the birding opportunities at the Whitewater Preserve, but we found SO much more. Absolutely, can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The AirStream was fun, but a bit claustrophobic for me. Will stay in the main house next time. All the rooms inside looked wonderful.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Just a short drive from some of your favorite places in Palm Springs this will be an unforgettable experience. You will be close to nature but a few steps away and you will have the greatest breakfast meals from your hosts, Wayne & Michael. Your hosts are true professionals down to the last detail, eggs cooked to perfection, you can't be treated better even at a five star restaurant. We had one dinner meal and here again all of us were served at once and the plates were heated!! My hat is off to our gracious hosts, Wayne & Michael. Fantastic job!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I know people say that when you go away you want better than you get at home, after all, you are paying for it, but I love my home and to be able to visit far-off places and feel happy and comfortable where I am staying is my ideal travel experience.

From the moment we pulled into the drive after a long drive from LAX airport (we will fly to Palm Springs next time, it's just down the road!), Wayne and Michael made us feel welcome. They share their home with you and it was like arriving to stay with old friends (and their gorgeous hounds Pierro and Gianni.)

We had all we needed in the kitchen, living area and our own room. Great selection of books and comfortable sofas to lounge around in. But we were here to explore too. We walked and ran in the surrounding dessert and Palm Springs was only a short drive away for shopping and lunch.

Great home-cooked breakfasts and on our final night, we opted for dinner chez Los Desperados, with Wayne and Michael, which beat any restaurant night out. Wayne is a wonderful cook and they are both perfect hosts.

There was always a lovely atmosphere, with all the guests chatting with each other over breakfast (not usually my scene!) and it was the most relaxing 3 days of my trip, which had been wonderful so far already.

It is what I will always think of now when I hear “California Dreamin’.”

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
wayne k, Owner at Casa de los Desperados, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Vicki and Laurie,
Thanks for the lovely review! We really hope to see you again, either in the UK or here in Whitewater. And thanks for the recommendations for Portugal! W&M

Reviewed 21 February 2018

We stayed mid week in the king room (with private patio & hot tub) and had the place all to ourselves for 3 nights. It was heaven! Wayne & Michael and the dogs made us feel right at home. The house is eclectic rustic and kept beautifully simple and clean. Our breakfasts cooked by Wayne were absolutely delicious & filling! The best part was the guys surprised me with a beautiful and scrumptious birthday cake! The place is situated in the canyons yet close to Palm Springs. I can't say enough about this wonderful experience...just go see for yourself!

Room Tip: we enjoyed the king room but all the rooms and the Airstreams were nice
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2018

It's hard to believe (until you stay at the Casa) you can experience such rural relaxation so close to the vibrancy of Palm Springs. The Casa is made up of a couple of rooms off a main area in a funky (only that adjective suffices) house and a pair of Airstreams. The rooms are perfectly nice, comfortable and sufficiently roomy--but not what makes the Casa unique. What makes the Casa unique is the friendly charm of the proprietors with whom one immediately feels at home.

The breakfasts are works of art. The scenery is gorgeous, the sky big and full of stars. You are close to the Whitewater Canyon Preserve with excellent hikes. You can also hike up a draw from the Casa.

Perhaps best of all are the resident canines. Do not stay at the Casa unless you love dogs. They make you feel as welcome as the humans who run the place.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple