All reviews street tacos ocean front san diego pier south resort hotel restaurant full ocean view separate bedroom basketball court resort fee private balcony living area marriott property pool and hot tub keurig coffee maker sound of the waves fourth floor valet parking
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this charming hotel from May 26th-May 29th. We arrived before the check-in time of 4 pm but Cynthia (she is awesome!) at the front desk, quickly checked to see if our room was ready and since it was we were allowed to check in early. This made our day since we had been up since early morning to catch a flight.
The rooms are spacious, comfortable, clean, and updated. Our room (#414) had the best view of the beach and ocean. Before dinner we attended the rooftop reception, they only serve chips, salsa, humus, and vegetables, and alcohol, a small variety of soda and water. It’s a nice appetizer before dinner with comfortable seating and heaters. Beautiful view of the ocean from the rooftop. We had dinner in the restaurant at the hotel, the food was good but felt we could have been given more attention by our waiter. We ran out of drinks and had to wave our waiter down to refill them.

We travel a lot and have not found a hotel that is perfect but Pier South Resort has very good customer service, there were a couple of hiccups on our visit BUT the staff made it right as soon as we let them.

Visit this hotel if you want to just relax. It is far from the touristy things in San Diego but it is what makes it so charming.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Todd H, General Manager at Pier South Resort, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Dear Charming Guest,
Thank you so much for your descriptive review! You truly cannot get a better ocean view than our suites and our rooftop deck. We appreciate the accolades for Cynthia, she is a wonderful ambassador for the hotel and for the Marriott Brand. We hope to see you again soon for your next relaxing vacation.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Positives: staff in restaurant are lovely and totally focused on you. The restaurant itself is a great location, right on the beach and protected by glass walls and with plenty of heaters and fire pits that you’ll be comfortable.
Cons: Because we are Platinum Elite and have been loyal Marriot customers for years, we were able to use points for our stay, and we were upgraded to a “preferred partial view” room. The room is large but didn’t actually have a bedroom on the ocean- it’s tucked right by the entry door. Sort of a bummer since we’d hoped to hear the ocean at night and wake up to ocean views. After a couple of nights, though, we realized there was a method to their madness. The room overlooked a public park and parking lot and every night from 6-9:45 it appears that people park their trucks and listen to music really, really loudly. Like, so loudly you can’t hear the tv. The second night we complained, because even though it’s not their fault it’s also not ours, so we were hoping to be moved or else cancel our reservation and move to a Marriot somewhere else. There was only another room available the last night of our trip, and it wasn’t the same as what we’d used points for (different size, multiple small beds, etc). We thought we’d just cancel and get points back but were told we’d lose the points. We decided to move the next day. We packed all of our stuff and were told it would be quick after checkout and we’d have new room. Several hours later, no room and we were told that it still needed to be “inspected”. During this time, we figured we’d just relax on the beach or pool, but there were no clean towels from 10am until well after noon. We were told they were “busy”.

While the staff other than front desk are all lovely and the location on the beach is great, I would caution people against spending their time or money at this place if they’d like to relax. It’s poorly run, if you have an issue there is no GM on site (ever, apparently), and the location next to the parking lot/park pretty much ensures you won’t be able to chill and enjoy the ocean. There are loads of other Marriot resorts that are so much nicer and more relaxing!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank loslebenita
Todd H, General Manager at Pier South Resort, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Dear Guest,
It is disheartening that the staff tried to accommodate you as best as possible during your stay, but you continued to follow through with your bad review as you consistently threatened. Free breakfast vouchers, resort credit, and a free bottle of champagne still were not enough to keep you from having your outbursts with the front desk. I was also at the property all weekend, but your comments certainly follow suit with the rest of your demeanor. We'll take our licks and keep improving to provide a wonderful guest experience. We sincerely hope you can find happiness in your future travels.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I wish I could give this place a better rating as it's the first vacation I've had in 3 years (since my daughter being born). Unfortunately, this was less than ideal. The walls are extremely thin and children were running laps up and down the floor all night. I called and asked that someone speak to them and nothing was done. This continued for many nights. The internet didn't work. It took 2 days before maintenance came back to work to reset the router at which point it was too late for what we needed it for. Room charges that were entered didn't match receipts and I had to go down multiple times to get reprints of receipts because servers had entered charges and tip amounts different than what we had given. The had a luau in which I asked multiple managers if I had to pay for a child that wouldn't be eating and was told no, thelat they charge by seat. I was told bc our child was a lap child she would be free. However, instead of even communicating with me come night of that they'd all of a sudden changed their policy, it took me seeing a charge on my room that yet again didn't match our ticket. I went down once again to ask about it and was told they decided to just charge us an open ticket amount even tho my child ate nothing. Lastly, to top it off, I get a room charge for parking on my bill. I don't have a vehicle here. So when asked they told me that they have a Toyota in my name. Great. I have a car that I don't own. It took me going to the front desk and them saying someone must have just given a room number bc they don't validate with names. Luckily I caught it before checking out. But this vacation was more exhausting than anything else. I don't recommend this place.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Samantha S

Dear Guest,
I truly apologize for the numerous missteps that were made during your visit with us. I will work with the on-site restaurant to ensure that any policy change is relayed to the hotel staff to keep our guests up to date. I noticed that the last night of your stay a guest with the same last name checked with the Toyota that you speak of, I'm glad we were able to get that one night charge off your bill. We will take your review to heart to keep improving - we hope we can earn your business back in the future. Todd Husted, General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2018

Upon arrival, the gentleman that greeted us outside was VERY polite. Offered to help us with our luggage. Front desk, was spectacular! Overall, outstanding customer service while staying here. The room is very bright, only issue I had with that was trying to sleep in. Rooms have shutters, no black out curtains. Bathroom was very spacious, clean and the lighting was great as well. What sold me what that breath taking ocean view. Pool is heated. I can't thank you all enough for the amazing hospitality. I am already planning my trip back!

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Todd H, General Manager at Pier South Resort, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Dear Perfect Guest,
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review! As much as we appreciate the comments on the hotel, we love the comments about the staff. Every team member truly goes above and beyond for our guests. We're excited to see you back soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

The hotel was ok. It is in a very nice location and I would go again just because of location and I use points. The hotel almost seemed very old and they didn't seem to keep up on maintenance for the little things. The room seemed to be out dated and some furniture and fixtures where in need or repair. The bar area was very nice with the outside dining on the beach. we got a massage and that was ok their spa was a makeshift area with 3 small rooms for getting massages in but nothing like the typical Marriott resort spa. The staff was very friendly and helpful and treated us very well.

Room tip: the rooms in the middle of the hotel on the back have the best view of the beach
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Todd H, General Manager at Pier South Resort, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We definitely strive for more than ok, so it is disheartening to read your comments. We are actually a new property and we are constantly updating the hotel. Being directly on the beach is a blessing and curse, we love the view, but the preventative maintenance against the salt air is an enormous task. We have done full replacements of our guest room flooring, the entire HVAC system, and we are finishing a hotel wide upgrade of our internet and Wi-Fi. It is a non-stop process to keep our beachfront property beautiful. Thank you for recognizing our staff, we would have hoped our superior service would have swayed your score a little more.