1,494 results
All reviews vue restaurant valet parking public park dana point harbor breakfast buffet per night valet service beautiful location ocean view self park king bed nice property adult pool room rate small balcony san diego business meeting
Reviewed 26 April 2018

We checked in today for a three night stay. I wanted to write a review ASAP because I had been nervous about our stay after reading some reviews. This resort is awesome! The newly renovated rooms are beautiful, the staff is so friendly and helpful and it’s close to great restaurants and beaches! Elijah, at the front desk, checked us in and he was so nice and helpful...definitely got our stay off on the right foot. The valet, Cole, and others are so nice. Bartenders were super friendly, too...are you noticing a trend? So happy we chose this resort! We will definitely be back, but planning to enjoy our next three days this time!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
LCMRS, Staff at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Thank you for your comments! We are very proud of Elijah and Cole and it is always nice to hear our guests are as well. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our new guestroom enhancements and your overall stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

This was one of my favorite stays in California by far! Everything was very nice from the lobby to the room. I loved how the room was decorated with a surfer vibe and the fun message painted on the wall when I opened the closet. It was a short and easy walk to the beach from my room after work, and the view from their resort was beautiful!

The room was very spacious and modern (the shower didn’t have a glass door and was just an opening, which was interesting but didn’t bother me). You do have to valet your car here so expect to spend some money there, but that’s to be expected from a nice Marriott resort. The gym was one of the largest I’ve seen for a hotel. There were several cardio machines and enough space for some unique weight machines you may not see as often in hotel gyms.

Overall I loved my experience and there was definitely a luxurious feel to the resort!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
LCMRS, Staff at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

We are so thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay at our Laguna Cliffs Resort & Spa! We are happy to hear you loved the room décor and surfer vibe! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2018

We really enjoyed our time at the Marriott Laguna Cliffs resort. It was the first time we traveled with our nine month old and it was a great experience. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the newly remodeled rooms. It was very nice, the faux wood laminate floor wasn't really secure, but it did the trick and looked nice. The room was always really nicely taken care of by the staff.
The valet and the front desk staff was fantastic and always very attentive and helpful. Be warned though, they do no give you free breakfast with your Gold Elite+ status. They'll give you a voucher for a free appetizer or a $10 certificate to use at the on site Starbucks. I wish they would honor the free breakfast, but it's all good.
I feel that a lot of the other reviews on here are a little harsh. I think this is a great property and if I am ever in need to visit Dana Point again, I'll make it a point to return to this property.
Thank you to the awesome staff who made our first vacation with our little girl a good one.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be balconies facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Curtis O
Reviewed 17 April 2018

I wish I could give this place a higher rating because the grounds and views are so beautiful but sadly, for our type of weekend, it was only meh.

My girl friends and I planned a weekend trip away and were really excited to have a weekend of relaxation with no fret. Sadly, this was not the case from the beginning. The rep that checked us in did not speak English well and this may have been the cause of some issues. She claimed they offered us an "upgrade" to the room that has nice windows to the outside. I assumed she meant doors, i.e. to the balcony. When I got to the room, I realized she literally meant the room had windows -- not sure why that was something to boast about. Also, the beds were full sizes, which were too small for 2 to sleep in. I called and asked if she could move us to another room with access to the outside - like a balcony. She said they were fully committed and that we should stick to our upgrade. Also, all beds were full. They don't have queens.

The upgrade was actually a downgrade. First, our toilet stopped flushing in the middle of the night so we had to call in an engineer and wait for him to come and fix it. Then we found spiders in our room. To top it off, we woke up to 8 a.m. construction happening RIGHT NEXT DOOR! We called downstairs to complain and the manager kept repeating that we should have been informed of the construction upon check in. Well, we weren't. He offered us free breakfast and valet, which I repeated told him should be for all 3 of us. He agreed. He also offered to move our room to another area away from construction once it becomes available. The breakfast was very nice and delicious. We hung out by the pool waiting for the new room - it wasn't ready until about 6 p.m. It was the same exact room but with a tiny balcony. fine.

We woke up early AGAIN to fire alarms going off and a person on the loud speaker updating on the alarms. We decided to just check out early and not deal with this hotel anymore. We called the bell desk to help with bags (since 2 of us were pregnant) and were told all the elevators are out of service so we will have to help bring all our bags down using stairs. You see the problem with that when someone is 6-7 months pregnant.

Upon check out, we saw only ONE valet charge was taken off (of the 3 cars for 2 nights). We let the rep know and she brought the same manager over. He now claimed he did not promise a comp valet for all 3 cars or for both nights. Why would we be only entitled to one car's comp when there's 3 of us??? Redic. He finally "generously" agreed to comp the remaining cars for one night.

Then we had to deal with moving the bags to the cars and no one was around to help us. Finally, the manager hurriedly grabbed a few and threw them in my car despite me continuously telling him that some bags go in other cars. He then disappeared so we moved the rest of our bags in our cars ourselves. Reminder: 2 of us were 6/7 months pregnant.

Overall, sad stay for a nice resort. They just needed to be a bit more attentive and actually follow through with their words but they did not. They also rejected any request for a comp of a room due to all this inconvenience. Oh well - we won't be coming back.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
LCMRS, Staff at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so pleased that you felt the hotel was gorgeous and we aim to please our guests in every way. We are so sorry that you felt the service was not up to par with the surroundings. Clearly, we missed the mark. We will be using your review as an example in upcoming staff training programs so that our employees can better understand how their actions can impact the guest experience. Usually we receive many fine compliments from our guests and we hope you will look upon this incident you experienced as an exception and not the rule. We will look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future so we may ensure your next stay is a more memorable and enjoyable one.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I have to agree with other reviews that the hotel rooms are run down. This is not a Category 8 hotel, sorry to say. There is a resort fee (of which we didn't use any of the amenities - bikes, yoga mats, etc) and parking fee since only valet is available. We are Platinum Elite guests and did not receive a free breakfast, which is always offered at every Marriott we visit.
Most important part of the hotel room is the bed and it was terrible.
No mini fridge in the room. There was a cabinet, where one obviously used to be, but has been removed.
We were offered an anniversary drink and dessert which was a nice gesture, but were told we would have to pay tip & tax on it. Not great to receive a gift and have to pay for the tax and tip - something Marriott could easily cover. It's the little things.

The pictures are better than reality I'm afraid. Will not be back to this hotel. It does not qualify as a resort.

I also wish Marriott would recycle!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank weezie O
LCMRS, Staff at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Laguna Cliffs Resort & Spa. We apologize if you were unaware of the valet only service and resort fees. In recent parking and resort fee surveys we’ve conducted with our fellow resorts located on the coastline, we have found our parking and resort fee rates to be in line and are actually the most economical. As a resort property our guestrooms do not have refrigerators; however, we do offer refrigerators if a guest requests one and would be happy to deliver them to your guestroom. We regret to read about your recent experience at our hotel. Because of feedback we have received from our customers, including those on Trip Advisor, we are now in the process of making updates to our hotel which does include a guestroom renovation. Your comments will be reviewed with our management team so we may find ways to make improvements. We truly hope you will consider a future stay so that we may provide you with the experience that you deserve.