“Perfect End to Vacation”

Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari
Ranked #3 of 26 Tours in Dana Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watch with Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari in Dana Point on our high-tech sailing catamaran year round, with two Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. For 20 years Captain Dave's has provided daily trips to see dolphins, up to 10,000 strong, leap and play right off our bow, plus Gray Whales (December through April), Blue Whales (May through November), and year round Humpback Whales, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and so much more. Go underwater with whales and dolphins without getting wet during your whale watch in our Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods aboard Manute'a. Listen to dolphins during your whale watching safari with our underwater Hydrophone. Celebrity and certified naturalists make this exciting Dana Point whale watching excursion educational and entertaining too. Mrs. Capt. Dave's famous triple-fudge brownies make this a one-of-a-kind dolphin and whale watching adventure unforgettable. We are a real Eco-tourism company providing only sustainable wildlife viewing. Ask about Fast Cat, our upscale Rigid Hull Inflatable Catamaran and the newest boat in our whale watching fleet.
Reviewed 7 June 2017

Date of experience: June 2017
CaptDavesWhaleSafari, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

All reviews
in 19 reviews
"nice boat"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 6 June 2017

We joined Captan Dave and his crew for a glorious morning of whale watching, dolphin viewing, and all around sea life enjoyment. They were knowledgeable, professional, thoughtful and made the morning a complete delight. We were fortunate enough to see countless dolphins that swam in, around, and under the Lily. We happened along on and found a 75 foot fin whale that we were able to observe for quite a while. It was magical.

Date of experience: June 2017
CaptDavesWhaleSafari, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Hi,
Thank you for your review. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your safari on board Lily, our luxury catamaran, and had the chance to view a variety of marine wildlife, including beautiful wild dolphins and a stunning Fin whale. It’s fantastic that our crew helped to make the trip fun, comfortable, and educational. Thanks for including photos of your experience! I hope you can come out with us again soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

My friend Basia Christ, is a frequent flyer at Capt. Daves and this was my second trip with her whale watching. As much as I enjoyed my first tour 10 years ago, this one was even better as we spent quality time with a fin whale! She was magnificent and seemed so serene and relaxed and unconcerned about our oat and cameras.

What I really loved though was the crew who was as excited to share their considerable knowledge with as, as we were to see this creature up close and personal.

To top it off -Capt. Daves tradition of fresh-baked brownies await you when you get ashore.

Hi,
Thanks so much for your kind review and lovely photo. It’s wonderful that you and your friend have enjoyed dolphin and whale watching safaris with Capt. Dave’s multiple times. I’m so glad that our crew’s expertise and passion for the marine mammals enhanced the trip for you, and I’m thrilled you had an amazing encounter with an impressive Fin whale! We strive to make each trip memorable and it sounds like yours certainly was. Thank you for being a valued repeat guest, and we’d love to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Once my business conference ended in San Diego I decided to make the short drive to Dana Point to join Captain Dave and the crew for a day on the water. As a repeat customer I was welcomed by a return customer sign and a "goodie bag"!

Once on board my hope of course was to see whales. As wildlife is UNPREDICTABLE you never know what you'll see. We did not see whales but we did see tons of dolphins...bottlenose and common.

Many thanks to the crew for a good afternoon on the water and those wonderful brownies they give to all of the guests at the end of the tour.

Date of experience: May 2017
CaptDavesWhaleSafari, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Hi,
Thanks for your review and for posting your photos. I’m sorry the whales had other plans on the day of your trip. As you mentioned, nature is definitely unpredictable and while we never know what we will see each time, we think that’s part of the fun and helps make every trip special. I’m happy to read that you liked our crew and enjoyed viewing the different kinds of playful wild dolphins. Mrs. Capt. Dave will be pleased to know that you liked her complimentary brownies too! Thank you for being a valued returning guest, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 June 2017

The boat and crew were wonderful! Remember: this is a SAFARI, searching for unpredictable wild animals in their own habitat and weather, so if you're expecting a pre-programmed pseudo 'safari' like at Disney you'll need to adjust.
That being said, we went WAY out, halfway to Catalina chasing an elusive Fin whale that gave us the slip, but Cap'n Tom made sure we got in the midst of a pod of hundreds of dolphins, to the delight of our kids!
We were grateful for jackets/layers, and we missed our sunscreen :( Still - this was the highlight of our time in Dana Point and wouldn't have missed it!

Date of experience: May 2017
CaptDavesWhaleSafari, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Hi,
Thank you for your review and beautiful photos! I do wish we could have shown you some whales, but I’m so glad your whole family had a great time watching the many fantastic wild dolphins that you encountered during your safari with Capt. Dave’s. I’m thrilled you liked our boat and crew. We really appreciate the high rating, and hope you can join us again soon.