“Simply could not have enjoyed our trip with Captain Dave Any More than We Did”

Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari
and up
High Speed Zodiac Whale Watching Safari from Dana Point
Ranked #1 of 20 Tours in Dana Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watch with Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari in Dana Point on our high-tech sailing catamaran year round, with two Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. For 20 years Captain Dave's has provided daily trips to see dolphins, up to 10,000 strong, leap and play right off our bow, plus Gray Whales (December through April), Blue Whales (May through November), and year round Humpback Whales, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and so much more. Go underwater with whales and dolphins without getting wet during your whale watch in our Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods aboard Manute'a. Listen to dolphins during your whale watching safari with our underwater Hydrophone. Celebrity and certified naturalists make this exciting Dana Point whale watching excursion educational and entertaining too. Mrs. Capt. Dave's famous triple-fudge brownies make this a one-of-a-kind dolphin and whale watching adventure unforgettable. We are a real Eco-tourism company providing only sustainable wildlife viewing. Ask about Fast Cat, our upscale Rigid Hull Inflatable Catamaran and the newest boat in our whale watching fleet.
Reviewed 6 June 2017

We joined Captan Dave and his crew for a glorious morning of whale watching, dolphin viewing, and all around sea life enjoyment. They were knowledgeable, professional, thoughtful and made the morning a complete delight. We were fortunate enough to see countless dolphins that swam in, around, and under the Lily. We happened along on and found a 75 foot fin whale that we were able to observe for quite a while. It was magical.

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

My friend Basia Christ, is a frequent flyer at Capt. Daves and this was my second trip with her whale watching. As much as I enjoyed my first tour 10 years ago, this one was even better as we spent quality time with a fin whale! She was magnificent and seemed so serene and relaxed and unconcerned about our oat and cameras.

What I really loved though was the crew who was as excited to share their considerable knowledge with as, as we were to see this creature up close and personal.

To top it off -Capt. Daves tradition of fresh-baked brownies await you when you get ashore.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Once my business conference ended in San Diego I decided to make the short drive to Dana Point to join Captain Dave and the crew for a day on the water. As a repeat customer I was welcomed by a return customer sign and a "goodie bag"!

Once on board my hope of course was to see whales. As wildlife is UNPREDICTABLE you never know what you'll see. We did not see whales but we did see tons of dolphins...bottlenose and common.

Many thanks to the crew for a good afternoon on the water and those wonderful brownies they give to all of the guests at the end of the tour.

Reviewed 3 June 2017

The boat and crew were wonderful! Remember: this is a SAFARI, searching for unpredictable wild animals in their own habitat and weather, so if you're expecting a pre-programmed pseudo 'safari' like at Disney you'll need to adjust.
That being said, we went WAY out, halfway to Catalina chasing an elusive Fin whale that gave us the slip, but Cap'n Tom made sure we got in the midst of a pod of hundreds of dolphins, to the delight of our kids!
We were grateful for jackets/layers, and we missed our sunscreen :( Still - this was the highlight of our time in Dana Point and wouldn't have missed it!

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Maybe it was an "off" day for the Captain and the whales. I see so many great reviews but we didn't have that experience. I'm sure it varies day by day, however. Not much for us to see, but the boat trip was good -- always fun to take a boat ride. This was toward the end of the season for whales passing through so we people watched instead. The people on the boat were fun to see-- especially those who chose to stand up front and get wet, then get cold!

CaptDavesWhaleSafari, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Hi,
Thank you for sharing the details of your recent safari with us. I’m so sorry you didn’t have the chance to enjoy viewing impressive whales. We do have year-round dolphins and whales here in the Dana Point area, and it’s always exciting to encounter migrating Gray Whales, massive Blue Whales, lively Humpbacks, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and others, along with large pods of playful wild dolphins. It’s true that sightings vary from day to day, and even trip to trip. I wish we could control what we see each time, but with wildlife it’s just not possible. We believe that not knowing what we may see each time helps to make each safari special! In addition, if any of our trips miss out on seeing both dolphins and whales, then we welcome those passengers back for free within a year. And I am so glad you liked the overall boat ride. Our catamarans offer up-close viewing of the marine animals, and passengers can get splashed if they stand right up front on the bow. However, there are other areas of the boat where guests can stay totally dry while watching the amazing dolphins and whales. Again, I’m sorry the trip did not meet your expectations. Do you have any suggestions on how we could improve and earn a 5-star review from you next time? I hope you will consider joining us again soon. Remember, as a returning passenger, you would be eligible for a special discount!