“Helping us prove once again that being disabled does not mean you stop living!”

Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari
and up
High Speed Zodiac Whale Watching Safari from Dana Point
Ranked #1 of 20 Tours in Dana Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watch with Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari in Dana Point on our high-tech sailing catamaran year round, with two Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. For 20 years Captain Dave's has provided daily trips to see dolphins, up to 10,000 strong, leap and play right off our bow, plus Gray Whales (December through April), Blue Whales (May through November), and year round Humpback Whales, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and so much more. Go underwater with whales and dolphins without getting wet during your whale watch in our Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods aboard Manute'a. Listen to dolphins during your whale watching safari with our underwater Hydrophone. Celebrity and certified naturalists make this exciting Dana Point whale watching excursion educational and entertaining too. Mrs. Capt. Dave's famous triple-fudge brownies make this a one-of-a-kind dolphin and whale watching adventure unforgettable. We are a real Eco-tourism company providing only sustainable wildlife viewing. Ask about Fast Cat, our upscale Rigid Hull Inflatable Catamaran and the newest boat in our whale watching fleet.
Reviewed 14 March 2016

I found this group on Facebook! Was not sure my husband who is paralyzed on his left side as the result of a Stroke could have this experience. From the first phone call and forward the group at Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari put all of our concerns to rest! The team at Captain Dave's were so helpful and made our trip one of the best experiences of our lives! The boat was wonderful and the captain and crew were knowledgeable and fun! We saw Whales and Dolphins! I have already recommended this trip to my friends!!

1  Thank svmariana
ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your review and recommendation. I am so gratified to read that your dolphin and whale watching safari was an unforgettable experience for you. I’m especially pleased that you were satisfied with our crew’s efforts. Everyone is welcome on our trips and we often have guests with varying abilities or levels of mobility, but we try hard to make sure that everyone is comfortable and enjoys spectacular sightings of the dolphins and whales. Thank you again for joining us. I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 12 March 2016

Have been on 2 of Captain Dave's cruises so far. Excellent experience both times (even though I got a little seasick the 2nd time)! Love being on a boat that is smaller than most of the dolphin/whale-watching cruise boats, and appreciate that they cap the # of passengers so everyone can get a great view!

ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2016

Hi,

Thanks very much for writing us a review. I’m happy to read that you have enjoyed our dolphin and whale watching tours. As you mentioned, we do limit the number of passengers on our catamarans so that no trip is ever overcrowded, and we feel that it really does make a difference as far as the comfort of our guests and for easy viewing of the wildlife. Thanks again for coming out. We appreciate your repeat business, and we look forward to having you join us on another safari soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2016

Everyone was so kind and knowledgeable. Not only did we see whales, but we also saw a pack of about 50 dolphins swimming along side the boat. This tour was a once in a lifetime experience, worth the money 100%.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your review. I’m very glad you were pleased with our staff, and that we were able to provide you with an unforgettable dolphin and whale watching safari. It’s wonderful that you enjoyed spending time with these amazing whales and beautiful pod of dolphins. I hope we will see you on another trip soon!

Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

We've gone on whale watching tours in Maine and Alaska this was much better. The captain and the naturist were both very knowledgeable and made the experience very enjoyable and the close ups of grey whales and dolphins was thrilling.

ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2016

Hi,

Thanks for writing us a review. I’m so happy that you enjoyed your dolphin and whale watching safari, and we are proud to hear that your trip with us surpassed your previous tour experiences. It’s great that our captain and crew were able to provide up-close, informative encounters with impressive Gray Whales and wild dolphins. I hope we’ll see you on another trip soon!

Reviewed 27 February 2016 via mobile

I was a little hesitant as I get sea sick, but the sea was fairly calm and the trip was so interesting I didn't even get close to being sick. The catamaran is very stable on the water and these is place to be out in the open or under cover. We followed a large pod of dolphin and, provided you're not claustrophobic, there is the option to go down into the clear hulls and watch the Dolphins swim all around you. We were also very glad to track a pad of 3 whales as they breached and dived lazily through the ocean. All the while the captain provided interesting facts and commentary. Highly recommend doing this if you're in the area.

Hi,

Thank you for your review and recommendation, and for sharing your photos! I’m so pleased you were able to spend time with some awe-inspiring whales and beautiful dolphins. It’s wonderful to hear that sea sickness did not interfere with your enjoyment of the dolphin and whale watching safari. To minimize the chances of any anticipated discomfort, we recommend going as early as possible for calmer ocean conditions and a smoother ride. Our catamarans are more stable than regular boats, and we also offer sea sickness remedies for sale at our check-in area. I’m very happy that you enjoyed our crew’s interesting narration about the animals. Every trip has an experienced marine naturalist on board so our safaris are both fun and educational. Is there anything we could improve upon to earn a 5-star review from you next time? Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.