6,854 results
All reviews jerk chicken montego bay swim up bar asian restaurant every other day entertainment staff jerk hut michael jackson show buffet style close to the airport rose hall mini bar main buffet paddle boats food was great dunns river red stripe
Reviewed 31 October 2016

We were on this trip as part of a wedding party. When we first got to our room the air wasn't working properly. They came to fix it on 3 separate occasions and it still wasn't working on the day we left. We were never offered to move rooms or any compensation for going a whole week with no air. They claim that the air was out in the whole block but many others we met in the same block had air. We called down and asked for a fan but never received one. It was so hot we had to sleep with our balcony door open and I woke every morning covered in bug bites. On the day of the wedding while we were trying to get ready it was so hot in the room that we couldn't stay inside for more than 5 minutes at a time. By the time we left the room we looked no better than when we started.
On day 3, the toilet wouldn't flush and it took at least 5 calls over 27 hours to get them to come fix it.
The food was mediocre at best. I've stayed at the Riu in Negril and Ocho Rios and both places put this place TO SHAME.
There was NO daytime entertainment at the pool.
They try to lure you in with the "CREDITS" but be sure to read the fine print because THEY ARE NOT CREDITS they are COUPONS...such as $10 off a $100 massage or off Scuba diving. Other hotels I've stayed at such as the Hard Rock resorts give TRUE CREDITS. If you get $600 in credits per room that is $600 that can be used towards the spa, photos, gift shop...not $600 worth of coupons that you have to spend money to use.
And lastly, upon checkout we called down for bellhop. He came and took our friends from across the halls luggage down and promised to be right back up for ours. We wasted 45 minutes sitting in the room ON OUR LAST DAY for him to return and he never did. So we had to make TWO TRIPS and carry our own luggage down.
There were lots of employees that were very friendly and helpful but overall I'd say this was my most uncomfortable trip to Jamaica. And the poorest Riu stay I've had so far.
When I return to Jamaica it will be to the Riu in Ocho Rios... definitely not here.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank Mary H
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2016

Dear guest,

Many thanks for choosing RIU Hotels & Resorts again for your vacation and for taking the time to write a comment about your stay. We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to improve in the future.

We would like to apologise that you had to encounter some inconveniences during your stay which caused your holiday to be less enjoyable. We can assure you that this normally does not happen. Service is one of our key values and the wellbeing of our guests our main priority. If you would like to raise a formal complaint please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department via crm@riu.com for further assistance.

We hope to get the chance to welcome you again at one of our resorts in order to deliver the high standards of guest service like we already did in the past.

Reviewed 31 October 2016

Well my bestfriend and I stayed at this resort for 5 days, and I do not have any immediate complaints. One thing I can definitely can say is that the resort is clean--, Riu staff amazing and make you feel like you are family. If you are not too picky and looking to just relax for a couple days you can do that here for sure. My friend and I booked a Dolphin Encounter excursion in Negril (Lucea) with the resort and it was amazing!! Also, the Hip Strip is not far away from the resort (10/15 minutes drive from the resort)

PROS
1.Staff is very polite
2.There is a taxi personnel right outside the lobby
3.Clean resort
4.Reps for each airline are on-site daily to make sure your vacation goes as planned
5.Easy to book excursions
6.The entertainment is fun!
7.TRY THE JERK HUT...YUM =)

CONS
1.Resort needs restroom facilities close to restaurants
2.Wi-Fi is not strong, only works on certain parts of the beach ( have to pay $40 US to have Wi-Fi in room ..was told it may not even work depending on what block your in)
3.The food was....meh (Burger King is steps from the resort)

I would like to shout out a couple of staff that stood out to my friend and I on our visit..Renville at the bar, ZaZa one of the on-site lifegaurds, Sharon from the lobby bar, Tevil & Kashore ....THE LIST CAN GO ON

Overall none of the cons prevented me from enjoying my stay at the Riu Montego Bay, I would probably wouldn't go back to this resort before trying out another Riu, I heard lovely things about Riu Ocho Rios. If the food was a bit better and Wi-Fi was working throughout the resort I would have given it 5 stars.

Room tip: Ask for a suite in block 1. Block 1 is closest to the restaurants, pool, an towel hut!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Shennay
Reviewed 29 October 2016

Lack of Toilet facilities throughout the complex, food very poor,staff are nice and helpful. If you are in block 4 and 5 it is along way to walk to the restaurant and bar in the evening. No umbellas when it rains, TV's need updating not flat screens, poor Wi-Fi, no shade on the beach, no bar or toilet on the beach. Would not return. the worst RIU hotel I have visited. Mr and Mrs Harper age 65-67

Room tip: Block 1 near main complex and pool
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank clioOxford
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2016

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests. We regret to read that you have left our hotel with an opposite idea in your mind. We appreciate our guests’ comments since they help us improve our services. We will share your impressions with the corresponding department in order to make adjustments, if necessary.

However, we do appreciate your positive comments about our staff. They work very hard to make everyone feel welcome.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of guest service that are typical at our resorts.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

This review is a bit late as we stayed for a week at Riu Montego Bay for one week (last week of July '16). Traveled as a family with a toddler. Just wanted to write a review for those who want to travel with children.

Kids Club
We were very impressed that Riu Montego bay had a mini kids club that catered to children. There were activity stations (coloring, building, board games, arts and crafts etc) each day. As well as a mini pool, playground and lounge chairs/shade in the outside of the sheltered area. There is also an enclosed gate to keep little ones in and staff to assist little ones. We spent a few hours a day here when it was too hot to be on the beach and for some of the activities.

Room
We stayed in a standard room with a King bed on the third floor. It was comfortable. AC was blasting, which was helpful. AC had a white noise sound to it which we all are used to sleeping with. We ordered a crib and got a play pen which we padded with blankets for our toddler to sleep. It was comfortable for our toddler and we were happy that we didn't have to share a bed. TV was good although we didn't use it much. Nice to have mini fridge for baby foods. The fridge is stocked with ample bottle of waters, sodas and on the wall there are about 5 kind of liquors (i.e. rum, vodka) on the wall which is free to drink. We dont drink so never used it. All in all, the room was spacious, it was not modern but had character. It was comfortable, that's all that mattered. We were on the third floor so had no problem with outside noises (or noise from neighbors).

Private beach/Pool
There is a small section of beach on the property itself which was nice. Spent lots of times with our toddler wading and playing in the sand. Lots of space to roam and good shade. There were a few vendors each morning but they were friendly and not disruptive. There is also a jerk hut on the beach that serves jerk chicken, potatoes, rice and beans, drinks around noon for those that want a snack. Water was beautiful and no waves. There was always a security guard patrolling and life guard on site.

We tried a pool one day and it was okay. Not really for us. Lots of people that liked to party and drink hung out in the pools. The pools were large though and lots of lounge chairs to accommodate. Although we didn't use the pool much, it did look like a nice place to lounge and relax. There were activities every day that seemed fun and lively but we just enjoyed the music from afar.

We're not picky with food however, my husband is vegan. He had more than enough choices to cater to. Sometimes it was the same foods every night but it didn't bother us. We were grateful to get an amazing package. We spent most days in the Asian resteraunt because we like tofu, sushi and the like. All the food areas had high chairs which was helpful. Our toddler was in the "throwing food on the floor" stage and the staff were just patient and friendly with us. Even though we left a huge mess behind.

Tours
We booked two tours. It was bit on the high end side but we did it anyways. As a family, did the Negril tour which was not too far away to travel with our toddler. He enjoyed the beach. It was nice to just get away and explore outside of the compound. We went to a shopping plaza that had all the souvenirs which we just walked around in. We enjoyed the last stop at Rick's cafe and see the sunset. The cafe was packed with lots of people but we managed to bring our umbrella stroller in and had no problems maneuvering it. Took my toddy in the pool to swim and he enjoyed it. We didn't order anything inside as there is an amazing vendor Caesar that bbqs the best jerk chicken on a piece of bread for $6. All the locals know him and vouch for him. It was amazing jerk chicken I must say.

My husband booked me on the Bob Marley/Dunn's River tour one day while he babysat the toddler back in the resort. What a nice break for this mama! It was a long and bumpy ride that our toddler would not enjoy. Courtney was our sun rep and booked the tours for us. Yes it was expensive but going alone with a group made me feel safe. Bob Marley's house is a must see for all you Reggae lovers. The entire place smells like weed and they sell magic brownies and spliffs right in front of the house. The guide takes you directly to these vendors. Apparently, it is cheap and good quality. Bob Marleys house is also known as Nine Mile and it is common to see people smoking up there.

Dunn's River is beautiful. Bring water shoes or else it is a challenge to climb the rocks. Bought water shoes for $6 at the store as it was on sale. Most of time you spend climbing the falls which makes a nice little adventure. Older kids even do it. It was nice to wade in the water when you have a chance, so relaxing but lots of tourists.

Independent travel -Falmouth
Outside of the resort there are public transportation spots. We hired a shared taxi for cheap. We met locals and it was good to chat with them. It was a 45 min ride to Falmouth. It is a historic town with some nice buildings/markets/stores to see. It is also a port for cruises. We walked around town, had some lunch, bought some souvenirs and basically stayed 2 hours.We felt safe in town. There was also lots of tourist people. We brought our umbrella stroller and altough the pavement is not that flat, we still got around all the bumps. Took a shared van back and it was fun for us to try local transport once again.

Wifi
Wifi was free in the lounge which I found good connection. In the room, I forgot the exact price but it was expensive ($30 a day?). It was nice to relax in the room without wifi anyways.

All in all, we had a wonderful family vacation with our toddler. Lots of sun, beautiful beach, and good food we all enjoyed. Happy that there was a facility for kids, even if it was mini. Still great for us. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would recommend this resort!

***Also ride from the airport to resort is like 15 mins which was a plus! I believe Ocho Rios is a few hours away from airport and Negril, 1 hour away!"

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Hope this review was helpful.

Room tip: Top floors are probably quieter away from resteraunts
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank livelovebackpack
Reviewed 29 October 2016

If you can stomach the Riu Montego Bay you can stomach a 5 star in Cuba.
As beautiful and a great location that this resort is in it has its draw backs. Yes its 10 min from the airport and yes the entertainment team is great. Mainly traveling to 5 star adults’ only resorts through the Caribbean we decided to take my girlfriends grandson and her family. All trips are what you make of it and we did have a great time. Yes the pools need repair it’s an old resort. You only get one key for your room that didn’t work out for me. The wife went to bed early I tried to sneak in and not to wake her and the lock didn’t work. I went up to the front desk they had no problem helping me but he was as scared as I. We finally got the door open lol she never heard us at all. They need to fix the locks and a few other things in the resort but you get what you pay for.
The beach what has been written is right only a few palm trees to hide under the smoking area there is one down there. Man made beech with guys floating around on little boats trying to sell smoke and whatever else you want during the day and at night. The BBQ on the beach is only for Jerk Chicken and sausage to bad some burgers would have been great too.
The food as it says in my title not good. When I’m asked about Cuba I now can say if you can handle the food at the Riu Montego Bay you will love everything about a 5 star in Cuba.
Being a rum and beer lover you think this would be the place but there is no top shelf of anything here and the only cold beer is in the room. I ended up bring the beer from the room to the bar. The fridge in the room gets topped off every two days the maid service was great for us and the service was great in all locations but the resort was only at 50%full due to the hurricane that was all around us.
The Sports Bar is on the second floor so you feel you’re not part of the party that’s going on downstairs also these spots bars at the Riu and I have stayed at many need to have hot food not Microwave sandwiches and the washrooms are on the first floor its good exercise lol.
The Disco: There are only two places to go at night after 10 that are air-conditioned the Sports bar and the Disco. It was only open for two of the seven days that I was there it was pretty good and full when it was opened after that it was being renovated.
We took a cab to Negril ask the cab stand at the front for Keith we paid 180us for the six of us. The beach there is fantastic he took us to Margaretville and Rick Café and what an adventure we had. We also ordered the KFC in Montego Bay it was the best I’ve had.
I don’t think we will return to Jamaica unless we go to Negril. We have been going to Runaway bay and stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica also a resort in Ocho Rios for the past 20 years . The tipping and haggling in Jamaica has got out hand. My last few experience at all places the word no isn’t working anymore. I do like the game of haggling but their more aggressive now grabbing, pulling then getting their kids to talk to mine and get money off of them it’s too bad. I’m aware of where I am we use too leave the resort in Jamaica now not too much anymore .

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank GEORGE S
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing RIU Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for taking the time to give us your valued feedback. For us every comment is helpful in improving the hotel’s services and for ongoing and future staff training.

On the one hand, we would like to thank you for bringing up your satisfaction regarding the location and our entertainment team.

On the other hand, we are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the food and drinks served at the resort. In order to fulfill every guest expectations regarding food, our main buffet and specialty restaurants offer a great range of food and drink options. We can assure you that we strive to improve our service daily in order to offer all our guests in house and future clients a pleasant stay.

We would be delighted if you would honor us with another opportunity to convince you of our RIU service and quality.