“Wonderful experience ”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 25 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Booked an early morning boat trip with a pick up option (had to pay extra as we were staying outside central Cape Town, but the driver was there on time, if not early, and was a great driver).
After getting dropped off at the boat we made our way out to Seal Island. The sunrise was absolutely stunning and well worth the early morning and trip just for that!
The skipper and tour guides gave some great explanations but also gave us time to view and take photos.
When getting into the water, we were given wetsuits which were dry and easy to use. Getting into the water was cold but the wetsuits had hoods and we were also given boots! The guys on the boat threw bait and chum into the water to attract sharks and there were only two other boats around, which meant we had more chance of seeing a great white.
The water visibility wasn’t great on the day we went out but we did get a few glimpses of sharks when in the cage. The views of the sharks from the boat and top viewing deck were incredible... what an amazing animal!
We were given food and drinks on the boat, which was great (needed a food boost after being in the cage)! After everyone had been in the cage (you were definitely given long enough) we were driven around Seal Island and given some more explanations.

All in all, would highly recommend! Was a great morning with a fantastic crew!

1  Thank Grace H
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Thank you for your review. Rob and I really appreciate it.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"an amazing experience"
"small group"

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

We had scheduled a morning trip in hopes to see some natural predation out at seal island but unfortunately didn’t get to see anything. We were however lucky enough to get into the cage and see a shark up close and personal. The captain and crew did an awesome job at trying to find sharks so that everyone was able to get the experience and even spent extra time out on the water doing so.

1  Thank Christopher B
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Thank you for your review. Its so appreciated.

Reviewed 11 July 2018

The crew are so dedicated and knowledgeable. It was a learning experience as well as an adventure. I felt lucky to have had the opportunity to see even just one great white shark.The crew really does try their best to attract sharks but the sharks have been in low numbers the last couple of seasons so people need to have realistic expectations. They really do try to give everyone the best experience possible given the circumstances on each particular day. Rob, the owner (and he personally skippered all 3 trips I went on), was kind enough to offer us a discount as we only saw one shark on 2 days. He was by no means obligated to do that and I would have had no issue paying full price. It's a gamble when you're dealing with nature but I wouldn't hesitate to take that gamble again. Even just a glimpse of a great white is incredible. I can still vividly picture the eyes of the great white staring at me in the cage. Nadine at the office front desk was awesome as well.

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so glad you had great trips with us, despite the dip in sharks. Rob and Karen

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

This place is awesome. First of all, you go out of Simon's Town, so the drive is much shorter, as well as the boat ride out to Seal Island. The crew is super nice and super knowledgable. They do their best to get everyone sightings. Water wasn't as cold as I thought when wearing the wetsuit. They put weights around your waist to help held you underwater so you can see. They also provide you with rebreather devices instead of snorkels so that you can actually stay down for a while. I get sea sick super easily, but was fine after taking my mess ahead of time. Wasn't too rough. I will suggest however, that you bring a scuff to cover your nose if you are sensitive to smells - the chumming materials and fish heads everywhere provide a really strong stench that was getting to me. Putting my scarf around my face helped big time. If this is on your bucket list, use this company for sure.

1  Thank Melissa A
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2018

Thank you so much for your review. Its really appreciated.